About this Site

Reaction score
What is Phantom Pilots?

PhantomPilots.com is a resource for the popular DJI Phantom Quadracopter. I currently fly a DJI F550 Hexacopter with Naza, and knew the concept would be a hit if DJI could package it all in a simple, pre-built system. I think they've done it with the Phantom, and I think the Phantom is going to bring an entirely new audience to the world of multi-rotors and aerial photography.

I hope to help the DJI Phantom community by posting helpful information, accessory reviews, videos, and other tips and tricks.

PhantomPilots.com is not owned or endorsed by DJI Innovations, Inc.

Hi guys,
just came across this site. Good job Adam..... let see where this will take us.
I fly currently a F 450 as well as F 550. Thinking of maybe buying the phantom. Looks good and very compact, therefore easy
to take with me when I travel thoughout the US :)

Not really a fan of the go pro.... prefer the intova cameras cheapter and easier to use. I even wired them so that I can remote tigger them via my transmitter..... switchng between video and stills.

Will do more posts on here, will travel to europe next week let's see if i can get one before then. :lol:

Reactions: GunnyPapa
Hi Guys
I have just joined and am probably one of the new wave of people coming into RC world, I have a video production company cvpus.com and I used to do aerial video and photography almost 20 years ago from a 20ft blimp system and a 50ft mast system, so when a saw this new Quad Phantom I thought it would be a good starting point to get back in....and not a lot of money involded :lol: I have been told that DJI are the best in the business? so my hope is that if I do some good business with the Phantom I will upgrade to the S800 + the Zenmuse Z15 as a friend of mine in the UK has just ordered the S800, although there are some regulations for flying in the UK so I am pleased that here there doesn't seem to be (USA), I have my Phantom on order but the dealers are still awaiting delivery :| can't wait to get my hands on it!

BobUSA said:
Hi Guys
I have just joined and am probably one of the new wave of people coming into RC world, I have a video production company cvpus.com and I used to do aerial video and photography almost 20 years ago from a 20ft blimp system and a 50ft mast system, so when a saw this new Quad Phantom I thought it would be a good starting point to get back in....and not a lot of money involded :lol: I have been told that DJI are the best in the business? so my hope is that if I do some good business with the Phantom I will upgrade to the S800 + the Zenmuse Z15 as a friend of mine in the UK has just ordered the S800, although there are some regulations for flying in the UK so I am pleased that here there doesn't seem to be (USA), I have my Phantom on order but the dealers are still awaiting delivery :| can't wait to get my hands on it!

DJI makes quality products, I have owned a F550 Hexacopter with Naza controller and it is a breeze to fly. Before I sunk over a thousand bucks into that setup I bought and flew the Blade MQX, I believe you can get one for $179.00 and you can learn all the principals of multirotor flight with that. It really is a blast to fly indoors and out.

I have not seen a setup better than the S800/Zenmuse Z15. The video speaks for itself, it is simply incredible. Anytime I see bashing of the Z15, I have to think what else is better out there? The Z15 video looks fake, like the camera is on a rail....amazing. Would love to have one but thats a $7500 setup with everything.

Do your research on USA regulations - fly all you want for fun, but when you start charging for it, you are in a grey area and the FAA says currently you fly R/C aircraft for money. Of course, many companies across the USA do this, but I would research this first and you'll have to make your own decision. I want to do this, but am waiting for the FAA to release rules in a few years so I can be 100% legal.

I am new to the forum, and to the Phantom, and I just want to say thank you for going to the trouble to create and maintain this resource. It is going to be valuable.

If anyone's interested, I'm just (sort of) retiring after 25 years of making a living producing videos - selling, writing, shooting, and editing. I was getting pretty burnt out on it working for clients until I started doing videos again just for myself, and on my own terms. I bought my first GoPro Black Edition a month ago and thought that was a lot of fun. Then, I discovered (and bought) the Phantom, and have been having a real blast ever since. I've done a fair amount of shooting from helicopters over the years, and this is just crazy cool being able to go out and shoot respectable looking aerial video any time I please. I'm looking forward to this whole aspect of video production evolve. Thanks again!

GeneL said:
I am new to the forum, and to the Phantom, and I just want to say thank you for going to the trouble to create and maintain this resource. It is going to be valuable.

If anyone's interested, I'm just (sort of) retiring after 25 years of making a living producing videos - selling, writing, shooting, and editing. I was getting pretty burnt out on it working for clients until I started doing videos again just for myself, and on my own terms. I bought my first GoPro Black Edition a month ago and thought that was a lot of fun. Then, I discovered (and bought) the Phantom, and have been having a real blast ever since. I've done a fair amount of shooting from helicopters over the years, and this is just crazy cool being able to go out and shoot respectable looking aerial video any time I please. I'm looking forward to this whole aspect of video production evolve. Thanks again!

Welcome, G. I hope you will benefit from this board... I know I have learned a lot since I signed on.

Happy Flying!

SAC - Thank you for the reply, and the welcome. BTW, I from your user name and location, Northern California, it doesn't take much thought to surmise where you are located. I haven't completed my profile yet, but I'm in Northern California, not too far from you at Clear Lake. Nominally, that's only two hours apart . I wonder if there are other Phantom flyers in a like radius that would like to be in touch, and perhaps get together sometime share information and flying techniques. Right, like get enough radios in one place to crash each others birds! :shock:

Seriously, it's a thought. I can be emailed at [email protected]. Otherwise, happy flying.

Cheers!

Good day Adam!
This looks to be an excellent place thank you. Recently purchased the Phantom after owning an xaircraft. MUCH happier with this and I do believe there will be ALOT more people will get into this hobby.
Sold alot of my rc airplane stuff to fund this and so far no regrets, not even close.
Just got the gopro yesterday. (been using the keychain cams)
RK

GeneL said:

Hah! I have been making films for 30 years (not planning to retire soon ;)! 25 years ago I bought a VERY expensive combustion engine helicopter to take my compact 16mm film camera up to the skies. This dream ended after 2 flights when the copter hit the ground and disintergareted... Now I have been doing absolutely out of this world music video shots with my Phantom!

Hi, Adam:

Thanks for creating this site. I guess this thread is as close to a "Welcome" page as this site hosts...so I'll introduce myself here.

I'm a former RC plane (pattern and scale) model flier who "dabbled" none too successfully with .60 sized heli's. Never really got comfortable beyond tail-in hovering. The sheer size and power of that beast really scared the bejesus out of me...and the noise bothered me and my neighbors & the castor-oil in the heli fuel killed my lawn. Since I live on Long Island (New York) the flying fields for planes have essentially disappeared - so no more planes, either.

So...I'm new (again) to the hobby and just plunked down my money on a Phantom v 1.1.1. and am awaiting deliver in a few more days. I'm pretty excited about the features on the quadcopter. I have a feeling that with all the sophisticated electronic assistance of the GPS, compass and gyros, I'll be able to advance further and faster and without the ridiculous expense of high % nitro glow-fuel.

So...THANKS for creating this site and bringing together so much useful information and so many like-minded people!

Best regards,

FS aka "PhantomFan" :)

Would it be possible to ask on the forum for people to fill in or re-edit their profile and enter their location. I am quite sure it would help other user's to know what part of the world we are talking to especially due to time zone differences. Can this be done?

What this site needs is a folder for classic, important comments that people have written with long term value. There have been so many great descriptions of answering a problem or giving suggestions that get lost in some long gone thread. The word searches either turn up too many bunny trails to chase down, are kicked out because they are too broad, or don't hit the right words. I know its hard to stay current with the sport evolving so rapidly, but a voting mechanism may be a solution. Moderator?

Hello Adam and everyone,

I still consider myself as a novice just getting into RC and Drones February of 2013. In the short amount of time I have (and still continue to) be enthusiastic, educated and (most of all) humbled with everything. In my short time, I have progressed from an AR Drone 2.0, through an F550, to a TBS Discovery and a QAV540G, all have which have seen better days. In fact all of them seems to have gravitated towards and into trees that my wife calls me the "Tree Huger" of drones. I selected the Phantom 1.1.1 (my Christmas 2013 present) to help me explore the next evolution in areal photography. What can be a better platform than a Phantom to learn from. Glad to be part of the group.

Nice resource Adam, looks like this will be a handy place to share the latest info and get tips from fellow pilots.

Hi All

I have just joined this forum as I am looking at buying a Phantom 2 with H3-2D gimbal.
I have been flying my AR Drone 2 for the last year and although it was fun at first I now realize I would like something
for shooting videos and photos in better quality and with longer flightime.

I already own a GoPro Hero 3 so the Phantom 2 looks to be the best there is for the money at the moment.
Very interesting reading all the comments on here and some great advice.

Cheers for now
Stu

Hi Adam
I also just want to say thanks for all the work you have done and are doing here.
I'm so happy that I found this website. A great place to find all the information about our new toys. Most important, the information comes from real people with their own experience and not from the producer of the product.
And people in here are so helpfull so thanks to all for that.
Ps. I still even have got my PV2 yet (maybe it will arrive today) but that have just given me more time to read a lot in here.
Thanks again.
Cheers from New Zealand

I made my first post elsewhere on the site, but this looks like the "Hello, I'm new here" place. So here goes...

I ordered my Phantom 2 Vision yesterday and hope to see it by Friday (two more sleepless nights looking up at the ceiling :x ).

I built a good sized gas RC Helo kit back in the mid 80's but chickened out and sold it before I took a maiden flight - and turned it into scrap metal and plastic. A few years back my son got me a little Styrofoam helo that I could fly in the house. I LOVED IT! A few weeks ago I was in a local hobby shop looking for something else when I saw the owner demo'ing a Blade 180QX HD to someone. That "someone" didn't buy it - BUT I DID! I've been in love with that thing ever since. However, after a few crashes (and repairs that keep it in the air), rather poor video from a camera that only works sometimes, I went on the hunt. I was thinking about the Blade 350, and the subsequent need for a GoPro when I accidentally stumbled on the Phantom from a post on another Blade site. I checked it out - and that's all it took. I just recently retired and this will take up all that free time some guys say they can't stand. Huh? :roll:

My wife and I go RV'ing all over the Nevada desert and this will make for some super Facebook stuff, YouTube stuff, and all around coolness. :D Wait 'til we get down by Rachel, NV and Area 51!

So, I'll be lurking all over this site taking in all the advice I can absorb in the hopes that I don't crash and burn (at least not right away). I'm thinking learning to fly the Phantom will be lots easier than keeping my little 180QX in the air and under control.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan