About FPV viewing.

Reaction score
Hey guys...I know of the names out there, I've seen videos, and read about Headplay, Fatshark this, and Cinemeizer that, etc. but what I'd really like is just advice on what I should get.

My biggest issue is the reflection on my ipad mini. I love flying the phantom around, but the glare is really limiting the amount of fun. I really get frustrated, because I feel like there's so much out there to see, but I'm being held back. So, I'm thinking I really need a headset of some kind.

I've only had the P3A for a couple months now. It's my first remote anything that moves. I'm not much of a photographer, I barely know how to use my iphone camera. I'm really enjoying learning about video/photography and flying this thing though. I just like heading out on a Sunday afternoon and messing around with it. As you see, my needs are pretty simple. I don't have a big budget either, I really shouldn't even be thinking about spending more on anything to do with this, but if I'm to enjoy it any further I pretty much have to.

So from what I've learned so far, it sounds like the headplay would work for me. Are there any others out there that you'd recommend, or think might work better for me? If it helps, I'm using and iPad mini 2 and I also have iPhone 5s.

Thanks for any advice.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Keep in mind a headset has it's own set of limiting factors. Just think if there was even the slightest lag in video and you slap the ground or a tree. I would probably stand in the shade or under a large umbrella then fly with a headset. But that's just me.

I am in the same boat, I just ordered the headplay goggles they are on back order. I hate that my ipads are so dark to see! I just bought the new Ipad air 2 and hoped it would be better, but no, and I am waiting on a sun shield that is being made for me. The reviews on the head play are very good and I just had the dbs mod and the HDMI module put on, so it seems like a perfect fit. I would like to try the new Fat Sharks v2 but cant spend the money to see if I will like them so i too hope you get lots of responses to this! thanks

Reactions: badbeerbreath
with the lag of the p3 i'd keep the tablet specially if on budget (but then thats just me). You can put some cardboard around it for the sun or just a tshirt on your head;)

headsets are nice for immersion but its really weird when lag is above 100ms (which is it), so its handy to be able to see third person. I like it when i get sound+video and lag is <100ms thought, it really feels like you're flying. (also, p3 doesnt transmit sound sadly)

the anti glare screen protector I bought for my mini did not help in fact I think it made it worse due to it being darker, but that is just me.

I have an iPad Air 2, I turn the screen brightness up and usually don't have much of an issue. I do agree though, Apple makes a terrible screen.

I have an iPad Air 2, I turn the screen brightness up and usually don't have much of an issue. I do agree though, Apple makes a terrible screen.
well Brian I have my ipad air 2 turned to manual and the brightness turned up all the way and it is still dark but it may be the camera setting and the np8 filter. I have only tried it once. any hints to make it brighter?

Maybe a hood and anti glare screen protector for your iPad mini

Well, I did try the antiglare screen protectors. It worked somewhat for glare, but it also darkened the picture more...so I ended up taking it off. I prefer it off now. As far as the hood goes, I haven't tried that, but I've read that it's very little help as well??

Hey guys...I know of the names out there, I've seen videos, and read about Headplay, Fatshark this, and Cinemeizer that, etc. but what I'd really like is just advice on what I should get.

My biggest issue is the reflection on my ipad mini. I love flying the phantom around, but the glare is really limiting the amount of fun. I really get frustrated, because I feel like there's so much out there to see, but I'm being held back. So, I'm thinking I really need a headset of some kind.

I've only had the P3A for a couple months now. It's my first remote anything that moves. I'm not much of a photographer, I barely know how to use my iphone camera. I'm really enjoying learning about video/photography and flying this thing though. I just like heading out on a Sunday afternoon and messing around with it. As you see, my needs are pretty simple. I don't have a big budget either, I really shouldn't even be thinking about spending more on anything to do with this, but if I'm to enjoy it any further I pretty much have to.

So from what I've learned so far, it sounds like the headplay would work for me. Are there any others out there that you'd recommend, or think might work better for me? If it helps, I'm using and iPad mini 2 and I also have iPhone 5s.

Thanks for any advice.

Before you purchase the Headplay's and HDMI board so you can FPV, check into the issues some are reporting about the feed quality through the HDMI port in the Headplays. I started a blog over on RCG about my issues with Blurry/Pixelated image on larger screens and how it actually looks worse than an analog FPV transmission.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2507207&page=1

I upgraded to the mini 4 and while were having some issue with iOS9 (which DJI is working on) I like the size of the mini and the 4 is really bright (more than my mini 2) and oh so light!

I have flown couple of times with fatshark and they are pretty nice. Only problem with goggles versus screen is that you can't see anything what is going around you and that's making me feeling weird. Another problem is landing. I like ipad air 2 so much better.

Before you purchase the Headplay's and HDMI board so you can FPV, check into the issues some are reporting about the feed quality through the HDMI port in the Headplays. I started a blog over on RCG about my issues with Blurry/Pixelated image on larger screens and how it actually looks worse than an analog FPV transmission.

thanks for info and link to the blog, I will let you know when i get mine and see how they are.

I have these, they absolutely are the best. Fitted the headset with a suspension used for construction helmets, slips on and off great. Using the rubber sun shields above and below keep the ambient light out and allows great fpv flying.

I got my set from craigslist, ebay could be a source to.

hmz-t3w | eBay

Have you increased the hd transmission settings? I don't have these issues with the hp's

I have 2 pairs of the Spexman goggles and I'm going to list one on eBay soon, if anyone is interested. They have the camera on the front so you can see your immediate surrounding as well as what the aircraft sees.

Ok these are only $45 and would eliminate the sun on the ipad issue. You just slip your Iphone/Android device inside. Problem solved!

http://www.amazon.com/Incredisonic-...TF8&qid=1443184299&sr=8-1&keywords=VR+glasses

Incredisonic-VUE-Series-VR-Glasses-Virtual-Reality-Headset-Bluetooth-Remote-Gaming-Controller-0-2.jpg

Those sonics are good price. How do you operate with iphone screen and that remote?

The compact light weight Bluetooth remote controller has many applications: control virtual reality video games, use as a selfie shutter controller, compatible with Windows and Macs with Bluetooth, remote control for cell phone, fast forward, rewind, pause and play movies.

Another good alternative too is the VR Box.

http://www.amazon.com/J-DEAL®-Virtu...8&qid=1443186322&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=VR+Box

100-original-Google-cardboard-VR-BOX-Version-VR-Virtual-Reality-Glasses-Bluetooth-Wireless-Mouse-Remote-Control.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl