Aborted flight due to birds... Anyone else?

Reaction score
I headed down to our riverfront today to try to shoot some video of one of the riverboat cruise ships leaving port. Unfortunately very soon after taking flight and turning upriver to cover the short distance from my home point to the dock area about 5 birds started circling my phantom and making rather aggressive moves toward it. I decided that it was more important not to have a bird hit a prop and down my phantom than to get the shots I wanted to get today. So, I turned and flew her home rather quickly. The birds followed most all of the way but turned back after I got down to about 15 feet altitude. My Phantom made it down to a safe hand-catch and I headed back inside.

Another possible evasive move would have been to fly out further over the river and approach the dock area from a different angle, but I didn't want to risk it with the way the birds were acting.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

Chris

I headed down to our riverfront today to try to shoot some video of one of the riverboat cruise ships leaving port. Unfortunately very soon after taking flight and turning upriver to cover the short distance from my home point to the dock area about 5 birds started circling my phantom and making rather aggressive moves toward it. I decided that it was more important not to have a bird hit a prop and down my phantom than to get the shots I wanted to get today. So, I turned and flew her home rather quickly. The birds followed most all of the way but turned back after I got down to about 15 feet altitude. My Phantom made it down to a safe hand-catch and I headed back inside.

Another possible evasive move would have been to fly out further over the river and approach the dock area from a different angle, but I didn't want to risk it with the way the birds were acting.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

Chris
They own the airspace for sure:D smart move!

I had a bird circle my Phantom before - it flew away after I descended a bit. After hearing about bird strikes, I always avoid birds. If I see any, I typically descend a fly to a different location and see if they follow me. If not, carry on filming. Otherwise, it might be time to call it a day

Well every bird that gets hit by the props is doomed for sure. I only had one incident with a red kite. I was testing new stuff against my jello problems that day because my Phantom2 had extreme jello problems like my P3. I saw a shadow on the ground trough my fatshark goggles and than the red kite a little bit later. He was checking out the phantom2 but wasnt aggressive. I thought lets call it a day and landed after that. Also my gopro went to crap because that day, i saw the pixel errors trough the goggles after starting the phantom.

So i wouldnt fly near birds at all but sadly most of the time birds appear all of a sudden.

My P3/P2/other copters are almost attacked by birds for several times. Most are crows. They are very curious, never attacks but fly around my bird. They're very clever, few (maybe 2) crows in a park where I frequently fly P3 already had studied it's not harmful, and recently don't come near. Peacefully airspace divided. :)
In general, crows, pigeons (flock of) comes. Sparrows, ducks escapes away.

Recently, I'm bothered by butterfly. They attack? or courting? jump into props and die... poor. Never experienced before P3, I remember. Body color or supersonic have influence...?

They're just protecting their nests at this time of year. As said already they own the airspace, all you can do is land unfortunately. They won't give up, I've a friend who is a falconer and he showed me how much smaller birds are prepared to attack and die to defend their nests, they'll do the exact same with your phantom

I get interested birds on a regular basis. I usually just head way up and away because the descent is throttled down too slow. If I am below 100' I will bring the Phantom back home and down ASAP. Evasive action is also in my toolbox.

Yes, I had a Hawk start to circle my bird so I brought her down right away.

I tend to play aggressive right off the bat. I don't try to hit the birds as I'm an animal lover and really dont want my Phantom falling from the sky. But, every bird that has come near my Phantom (which seems almost every single time I fly) I fly at them in an agressive manor and so far had great results. It sounds cruel. But, I don't hit them and wouldn't let my Phantom even come close enough to hitting them. Just 3 days ago I went after some turkey vultures that were circling me and my Phantom. There were 5 of them and each one was easily 4x bigger than my Phantom. They wanted no problems and flew away.

I tend to play aggressive right off the bat. I don't try to hit the birds as I'm an animal lover and really dont want my Phantom falling from the sky. But, every bird that has come near my Phantom (which seems almost every single time I fly) I fly at them in an agressive manor and so far had great results. It sounds cruel. But, I don't hit them and wouldn't let my Phantom even come close enough to hitting them. Just 3 days ago I went after some turkey vultures that were circling me and my Phantom. There were 5 of them and each one was easily 4x bigger than my Phantom. They wanted no problems and flew away.
Good bluff:D:mad::D

Yep, this happens to me every now and then. I've learned that you can go up to 300-400 ft and there really isn't much up there..

All the time. I have some small aggressive birds that circle the P3P and when I climb, they do too.

All the time for me, as well. Many times, they will circle and make aggressive moves towards it. Here in Uganda it's mostly crows and marabou storks, which are no joke!

Near my home there is a Bald Eagle nest, I have wanted to try to film the eagles but am too scared to put the phantom near the nest for fear of them attacking it. Would be great footage though, but not worth the loss of the aircraft.

There's a red kite in residence at one of my flying spots. I find him to be nothing more than slightly interested for a minute or two, and entirely non-aggresive.

Near my home there is a Bald Eagle nest, I have wanted to try to film the eagles but am too scared to put the phantom near the nest for fear of them attacking it. Would be great footage though, but not worth the loss of the aircraft.
Living where I live in Alaska I have never NOT flown around Bald Eagles. I can tell you this, they have shown no interest in being around my quad. They leave trees in a dive when I am 100 ft over head.

Had a hawk yesterday fly fast and aggressively toward my p3. Brought it down quickly and hovered at about 50ft. The bird circled and looked like he was about to dive bomb it so I landed as quick as possible. As I was landing I heard the hawk call out and looked up to see his buddy come swooping in to help.

the same issue with hawks. They do not like strangers in their airspace. Get used you freaking birds, not only you have wings these days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik