Abandoned Appalachia: Bemberg Rayon Plant

Reaction score
Located in Elizabethton, Tennessee.

J. P. Bemberg was a German rayon manufacturer that produced an unusually fine artificial fiber which became known as Bemberg®

The Bemberg technology was licensed to the American Bemberg Corp, founded in Elizabethton, Tennessee in 1925. American Bemberg began manufacturing cuprammonium rayon at Elizabethton in October 1926. There were several small strikes at the plant in 1927 and 1928. In August 1928 the VGF subsidiary American Glanzstoff opened a viscose plant in the same town. The two plants had more than 3,000 workers by the end of 1928.

Bemberg would enjoy early success. The area workforce, although mostly uneducated, would prove to be reliable and fast learning.

With such a large workforce, as expected, the two facilities would be plagued with labor disputes. In the late 1920's the workforce would accept representation from the United Textile Workers of America. Local 1630 of the United Textile Workers Union of America (UTW) was formed.

By 1950 the demand for rayon would decline and the ability for both plants to be flexible would be vital. The Bemberg facility would begin making polyester. The company changed ownership multiple times throughout the years, and on February 16, 1974, Bemberg would finally lose its battle with declining profits and would close the doors for the last time.

Reactions: Dave in TN
Great vid and just as excellent write-up. Thanks!

Great vid and just as excellent write-up. Thanks!

Thanks so much. I'm hoping to do a series on abandoned and derelict places in the region. This one was fun to do.

Nice work- presenting the history is a nice touch- thank you for sharing.

The current cheap synthetics prove hopelessly inadequate to "bemberg" as a suit jacket lining. I never knew why they called it bemberg, now i do.

Nice work- presenting the history is a nice touch- thank you for sharing.

The current cheap synthetics prove hopelessly inadequate to "bemberg" as a suit jacket lining. I never knew why they called it bemberg, now i do.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1