A work of art: My hidden GPS and LED light solution

Reaction score
I'm kinda proud of myself. I installed a 16v to 12v switching regulator with a auto-tracking GPS tracker inside my Phantom and a switch and bright LED on the outside. Switch turns LED on/off. All together, probably adds only about 40 grams extra weight. All power comes from the Phantom's main battery (soldered connections).

I've posted elsewhere on how to put this all together: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/guide-ultimate-gps-tracker-setup-for-phantom-3.43844/

Like?

2015-06-08 23.07.11.jpg
2015-06-08 23.07.20.jpg
2015-06-08 23.07.29.jpg
2015-06-08 23.07.44.jpg
2015-06-08 23.08.25.jpg
2015-06-08 23.08.47.jpg
Screenshot of Google Chrome (6-9-15, 4:13:48 PM).jpg

Reactions: Netsquash
What if the battery pops out (as their prone to do) IF it's an uncontrolled 'landing'?

It tracks automatically about every 10 seconds. You'll have your last known location 10 seconds ago (or less, depending). Plus, LED power cable helps battery stay in a bit more than stock.

I used a pair of single 5mm leds, 5000mc Red & green, mounted horizontally front [red] & back [green] &a 1k resistor, all in series & across the battery connector. Draws about 8ma. I took it for a fly along the beach - visible at 700m. This actually my p2v+3, but same idea.
700m away.jpg

Last edited:
I used single, 5000mc Red & green, mounted horizontally front [red] & back green. !k resistor, all in series & across the battery connector. Draws about 8ma. I took it for a fly along the beach - visible at 700m. This actually my p2v+3, but same idea.View attachment 21563

Awesome! I actually tried several lights on the front and back, different colors. I ended going with a single bright LED on the back because from a long ways away, it may be hard to distinguish different colors. But now, as long as I look out and see a bright light, I know the Phantom, no matter how far away, is pointing toward me. So, if I loose GPS or orientation, I just have to look for a bright light (and turn Phantom to orient) and then pull back to come home.

I still need some help.

Most of these devices need to be requested to send the data. Is this one of those devices?

If so, How do you request data if it has crashed and ejected the battery?

It seems it has a wide input range up to 60 vdc., is the regulator needed?

Lastly, did you include a fuse anywhere?

Awesome! I actually tried several lights on the front and back, different colors. I ended going with a single bright LED on the back because from a long ways away, it may be hard to distinguish different colors. But now, as long as I look out and see a bright light, I know the Phantom, no matter how far away, is pointing toward me. So, if I loose GPS or orientation, I just have to look for a bright light (and turn Phantom to orient) and then pull back to come home.
Yes, I am probably going to change the LEDs to some 10000mc ones coming, and will probably not bother with the red front one, just 2 x green back ones - our eyes have twice the number of green receptors than red, so we perceive it better anyway. If I yaw until I see the green, I know pulling back will make it come my way, even if I m not in home lock.

I still need some help.

Most of these devices need to be requested to send the data. Is this one of those devices?

If so, How do you request data if it has crashed and ejected the battery?

It seems it has a wide input range up to 60 vdc., is the regulator needed?

Lastly, did you include a fuse anywhere?

The reason I included a regulator was only because the LED can't run on 15-16 volts. I tried. Dangerously hot! I wired the 12v output from the regulator to go to the GPS tracker just because it might save a tiny on power consumption, and because I was hoping it might act as a short circuit protector. No, I did not use a fuse. I have thought about it, though.

The reason I included a regulator was only because the LED can't run on 15-16 volts. I tried. Dangerously hot! I wired the 12v output from the regulator to go to the GPS tracker just because it might save a tiny on power consumption, and because I was hoping it might act as a short circuit protector. No, I did not use a fuse. I have thought about it, though.
Well, it can run on a higher voltage, but you would need to put in a series resistor to limit the current drawn. Probably there are only series resistors limiting the current to each set of leds in the array anyway.
I would have been wary of a swmode supply, because although they are efficient, they can be noisy rf-wise.

I love LEDLights and have all kinds of lights on my 2 Phantom 1s. They were easy to install. Looked at your video &I pics could not tell how you connected leads. Can't tell how you did it. I am sort of afraid to tamper W/ P3 this new and in warranty. Wish DJIWould have put aux power plug

I love LEDLights and have all kinds of lights on my 2 Phantom 1s. They were easy to install. Looked at your video &I pics could not tell how you connected leads. Can't tell how you did it. I am sort of afraid to tamper W/ P3 this new and in warranty. Wish DJIWould have put aux power plug

I had to open the top case and solder leads to the main board. I later put hot glue over the leads after the solder. I've had a lead come off so have to make sure they are soldered well. Zip ties holds lead in place just in case it might slide around and cause a short if it came off.

2015-06-08 19.14.10.jpg

By the way, on my P1 I bought some cool strobe lights from Advance Auto Supply and they work great. I fly almost every night and strobe let me see p1 farther away. Priced $25

Tail light on the p2v+before changing to the brighter leds. It's angled down slightly for maximum distance. I got my power from the back of the battery connector. It is possible to do without pulling the main board out. The strange thing on the back of the gimbal is my analog fine adjustment.
taillightp3v+3.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.