A Wind Speed Question and a Battery Question

Reaction score
Hi, let's put it simple:

1) How much wind speed can resist the Phantom 2V+ to fly safe? (Please answer in Km\h if you can)

2) How long can the batteries stay full charged before use? I have full charged both my batteries and, due to weather condition, i could not fly the Phantom for 2 days (today included).

Thanks before and sorry for the bad english.

Whoa... i've asked something very stupid or something that can't be answered? XD

(1) The windspeed question is not easy to answer because windspeed is never constant. I wouldn't go up in a wind of more than 20km/hr because I know that it could gust to 30-35, and I think that is too much to have to deal with (eats up battery life more quickly). I prefer to deal with calm days, but there aren't many of those around here these days.

(2) I have kept batteries fully charged for a week, but I know that isn't a good idea because the memory characteristics of the battery chemistry design will cause it to think its full charge is less than it really is (and show a low charge sooner during a flight).

My $0.02

@slothead: I know that the Wind Speed can change in any moment and what i wanted to know is just what you have wrote. I fly within your same parameters and i'll keep do it. Thanks... ;)

@happydays: Thank you too for the advice! ;)

Phantom can fly at 15m/s so about 33mph although that's not really recommended for an extended period. In a theoretical way, I guess if your drone had a good satellite lock and the wind was unnaturally constant - say in a wind tunnel - you could fly in a 30 mile per hour wind with the drone on max leaning into the wind.

Are you thinking about becoming a storm chaser? If you don't care about your drone being able to return you could fly in higher winds then drive to where it ends up being blown. I don't know if you could keep the drone aloft if the wind got too high. I've never had mine flip over while in the air and I'm not sure if it can right it's self. Structurally the case will hold together through almost anything but the blades are not all that strong and the camera/gimbal is a bit on the flimsy side so landing in an extremely strong wind would be a problem.

From a more practical perspective I don't think I'd fly in anything more than a mild breeze. 5 - 10 mph would be about as much as I'd want. You need the ability to maneuver and you don't want to be constantly fighting the wind as you line up shots. Not to mention the danger of being pushed into an obstruction.

I've had my drone down for repairs for a month and the batteries seemed to hold a charge the whole time although I did do a top-up before I headed out.

FreeFlyer said:
2) How long can the batteries stay full charged before use? I have full charged both my batteries and, due to weather condition, i could not fly the Phantom for 2 days (today included).

storing LiPo batteries fully charged few days or some weeks is not a big problem. LiPo batteries lose capacity/age faster if stored fully charged however it is something like 15-20% capacity loss over a Year period at room temperature vs. 2-8% for a 50% charged one over the same year period stored at the same temperature therefore the capacity loss difference over a short period is only marginal. You can also put your LiPo batteries in the fridge for the time period which also reduces the aging/capacity loss over time, just make sure that you let the batteries warm up before using them.

Edited percentage values

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.