A very DJI weekend...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Okay... Let's start with the Android App update... (V1.0.39) I'm one of the people who cannot run this version on my tablet. The video freezes, disappears, slows down, you name it. And when you hit either your height or distance limit, a large warning appears in the center of the screen alerting you of this. And it stays there. So you can't see anything on the screen even if it isn't frozen... Is that what you really want to have happen when you're flying at your set limits? Blindness?

Now... Let's get to version 3.0 of the firmware. I've counted over a dozen people from different forums who plugged their P2V into their computer and updated to version 3.0 through the 2.0 Assistant, temporarily bricking their aircraft. True... If you thoroughly read the screen before doing so, like I almost never do, you might not install. Fact is... A bunch of people did. Having it show up as an option when running Assistant 2.0 and NOT having Assistant 3.0 available is sloppy.

Are all of the brilliant people from DJI currently in Vegas for the NAB show? Leaving behind their less than brilliant co-workers? This weekend didn't do much to instill any confidence in DJI.

Offering the P2V+ for $100.00 more than the P2V (which only came out a few months ago) and including a 3 axis gimbal, better battery connectors, a lighter camera, many bug fixes (that the initial P2V owners beta tested out of the product), a USB connector on the TX, much longer FPV range, etc... That has made me look at "Flying Eyes" and "Iris" and others in a new light. DJI might be leaders in their field, but they've left a very bad taste in my mouth.

This is just my humble opinion, and I could be wrong... :D :D :D

-slinger

Well said. A very bad taste indeed. I'd feel differently if I had bought mine 2 or 3 months ago. But I bought mine 10 days ago now. Very little chance that my retailer (not Amazon, but a DJI "authorized" dealer) will allow me to return it. I also read in another forum that they were informed by DJI that is is not possible to retrofit the P2V with the gimbal/camera of the PLUS. So maybe I'll go the RP gimbal route.

Gunslinger, I had the same effect on my Nexus 7 with the android update till I stumbled on reducing the preview resolution setting. then my image was much improved.

I did not do the 3.0 update as of yet because I feel snakebit by DJI and it's way of doing firmware updates. I have only been a DJI owner since mid March and have been bit by their last update and their server issue and this android update yesterday and struggling while out to find a fix so I could see what I was shooting (I never flew out to a limit as yet because of all the fly away posts I have seen has me a bit shellshocked as well to let it get very far away at all).

I made a post (rant) about this on the other site but seems when someone posts a negative post about a DJI process or product it is just ignored. I know if Nikon, Sony, Canon, or Apple updated their firmware's anywhere near as poorly as my last two adventures they would never hear the end of it. Then when you open the new assistant there are new terms that are not referred to in the new manual at all like a new user should know this stuff in advance.... I know I don't.

My first P2V ended up with a bad rt frt motor and electronic speed controller after 5-6 short basic test flights and all soft flat landings on mowed grass. Hey it's electronics and sh-- happens; I was in manufacture ring management for 36 years in a fortune 500 industry and realize the issue with electronic components. But, these firmware update issues are avoidable if they just used reasonable care and testing in introducing them. I personally would rather wait a couple weeks and be able to depend on them than them rushing them on the site and we have to do all their beta testing for them. What they don't realize is they are putting a bad taste in their customers mouths and they may look elsewhere for their next Quad rather than be a repeat customer. This demand for a better mousetrap will bring in other manufacturers to fill the demand and they just might lose their top dog status over time because of these types of issues. Just ask GM or Nikon if losing Number One Position in a industry is possible if you do not meet the needs of their customers and lose repeat business to someone else.

Just my personal opinion to my past 4 weeks as a DJI Phantom 2 Vision owner and a complete noob to RC flying.

SilentAV8R said:
Well said. A very bad taste indeed. I'd feel differently if I had bought mine 2 or 3 months ago. But I bought mine 10 days ago now. Very little chance that my retailer (not Amazon, but a DJI "authorized" dealer) will allow me to return it. I also read in another forum that they were informed by DJI that is is not possible to retrofit the P2V with the gimbal/camera of the PLUS. So maybe I'll go the RP gimbal route.

Silent I feel you pain but this happens with anything.... no manufacturer will authorize their dealers to advertise new products ahead of introduction otherwise they would be stuck with volumes of old inventory they can't move. You think they are going to sell many more P2V's from now till the Pluses are released? Nope! I understand this process... and understand it is not the best of feeling to go through. Heck, I bought a Polarvision, Contax G2, and Konica Minolta 7D just months before these all were eliminated or bought out. Been there done that and feel the pain. But, as far as not being upgradeable I can understand the frustration but you knew you were buying a tilt only gimbal when you bought it. You got what you knew you were going to to have...... and if you wanted a 3 way you could of chosen something else if that was a big determiner to your purchase.

I bought mine in mid March and just got the replacement for the first ones bad motor and ESC last Friday. I am in the same boat as you but I too knew what I was buying at the time and accepted it's limitations. Would I of preferred the plus? Of course but I got what was available and knew what I was buying.... classic case of "Buyer Beware" You spend you money and take your chances at least they are still in business........ ;-)

I know the game and I would have no problem with months, or even several weeks, but NINE DAYS :evil:

I fully understand NDAs, etc. But I do not have to be happy about it. Even Apple caved in on iPhones, so it is not unheard of. Maybe next time I'll buy from Amazon, but I was trying to support the local guy. Oh well. :|

Yeah, I fully feel your pain..... I guess I could call my dealer and return it for credit as well but I am funny about that. I see guys buy cameras, use them for 29 days and return them for something else sticking the retailer and the manufacturer for the cost or worse yet another customer that thinks they are buying new only to get one of these jewels instead. Then these same new camera buy and return addicts complain about rising equipment costs and retailers going out of business........

I bought the P2V from my camera dealer in NYC. I knew what I was buying and until this last P2V defect have never in 20 years of doing business with them ever returned a product to them. This dealers gives me a good price and great service and I would still be totally content with my purchase had I not seen what was just released. It is not the dealers fault because they sold me what I asked for and wanted. I shoot mostly stills anyway so the 3way gimbal though nice to have is not a biggie to me and my shooting but if the new camera was a 24mp full frame for this price I would have to do some serious soul searching :roll:

I will just be happy if DJI can do a firmware update of software upgrade without making my life miserable again....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.