A terrible PD helicopter accident and the pilot has severe injuries !

Wow, not sure what happened (accident occurs around 1:00 minute in) but it was like the helicopter was tangled up in that skid below it. Nasty accident.

Oh my! I had to look it up. The articles say that the experienced pilot (8000+ hours) was testing a battery and a rogue wind caused the accident. Arkansas Online and KATV7 Little Rock

Wow that scary, pretty poor take off,,,never seen a left or right action on pad before takeoff before,,that tell me something was about to happen,,hope injury not bad but the chap off to call 911 could have run bit faster,,,scary stuff for morning viewing,,thanks for sharing,,,gezz the poor dog knew what was about to happen....gust off wind ay,,looked more like rookie pilot,,,no derepect in saying that to the pilot,,must have been strong gust,,helis I thought bit more stable than that,,

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
That was crazy!!! Looked at one point he got free of the skid. Very weird!!!

Wow! I know very little about helicopters but wonder about the impact of the downwash from those huge rotors while both are spinning so close to the ground and if ground effect had any impact.

What really WOW’s me here is how this accident wasn’t investigated by NTSB.

In fixed wing aircraft your taught from the minute you crank the motor to compensate for wind, if you have head wind yoke forward, crosswind turn yoke into wind, tailwind pull yoke back. I would assume rotary wing is the same.
I’m glad the pilot survived although he suffered broken ribs, separated sternum, and head trauma.

Reactions: 2edgesword
I wonder who got fired here.

It seems to me that when the helicopter in the hanger was taken out it wasn’t properly placed on its spot (yellow square on ground). As the other helicopter came in, it looks like he was trying to line up on his spot and didn’t notice the other helo was not properly positioned.
Totally helo pilot coming in is at fault.

What really WOW’s me here is how this accident wasn’t investigated by NTSB.

In fixed wing aircraft your taught from the minute you crank the motor to compensate for wind, if you have head wind yoke forward, crosswind turn yoke into wind, tailwind pull yoke back. I would assume rotary wing is the same.
I’m glad the pilot survived although he suffered broken ribs, separated sternum, and head trauma.
True dat...With all that rotorwash do we really need Pedro in the back with a leaf blower??:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that when the helicopter in the hanger was taken out it wasn’t properly placed on its spot (yellow square on ground). As the other helicopter came in, it looks like he was trying to line up on his spot and didn’t notice the other helo was not properly positioned.
Totally helo pilot coming in is at fault.
He should have landed where originally he was going to.

I will take a guess and say the two guys that dragged the one out of the hanger. They didn’t set it up in the center of the pad. Off by 15 feet.

To put it in a different perspective, suppose you are coming down a highway/road and see a vehicle in the middle of the road that appears to be broken down, do you slow down and try going around them or do you just continue and bash into them?

Reactions: 3rdof5
That was my line of thinking on this scenario also. The one coming in to land may be just as much to blame for his role in wanting his exact same parking spot that he always uses. Someone with a big paint brush and a bucket of yellow paint (and a tape measure)could have saved Pasadena several million dollars by making the center point more visible.
Hard lesson to learn. Hopefully no long term scars for the guys with the white hats.

Did anyone notice around the 4:20 mark, how you the guy is thrown to the ground and when the blade comes off it just barely misses him? I won’t say lucky, that’s for winning the lottery. I’ll say he was watched over that day.

Reactions: Ansia

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj