A Strange Happening

Reaction score
I have a standard. I was flying straight up, videoing kids at church, that had spelled out a word. All of a sudden I got disconnected, it didn't return home, just stayed there. Although I lost video feed & battery meter read 0, I still had control. Didn't realize it it for little while, so I brought it down. Restarted everything, did fine.
I crashed last week, broke camera mount & wires , but repaired it. I have flown several times since, no trouble, until today

Flying directly overhead is not recommended due to signal loss issues. You might check your RTH settings also. Sounds like your RTH is set to 'hover'.

I have a standard. I was flying straight up, videoing kids at church, that had spelled out a word. All of a sudden I got disconnected, it didn't return home, just stayed there. Although I lost video feed & battery meter read 0, I still had control. Didn't realize it it for little while, so I brought it down. Restarted everything, did fine.
I crashed last week, broke camera mount & wires , but repaired it. I have flown several times since, no trouble, until today
Same thing happened to me last week. The app was showing disconnected but I still had control. It never RTH which is what I had it set to do. I had to manually set it to RTH and took control as it got closer.

RTH worked fine after I landed & flew again. One cool thing happened was a guy that flies DC10 fire fighting plane was watching. Now he wants one. He talked to me a while afterwards

One other thing I just remembered, I switched from video to pic, when it happened. Could that have confused things?

I didn't think about manually RTH, guess cause I knew where it was
I could see mine but it was far enough I couldn't tell the orientation of it. It kind of made me nervous that upon disconnect it didn't come back automatically. That's what makes me think it was just the the app that disconnected and the controller was still locked in.

The explanation is that there are two signals.
One is the control signal that allows you to control the Phantom.
The downlink carries the video signal from the Phantom and it usually drops out first unless you fly behind a large obstacle that just stops everything.
It's common to lose downlink and still have full control.
Your Phantom would not have initiated RTH until it loses the control signal for 3 seconds and was just hovering there waiting for you to do something.

Reactions: kissmyace
Had this very thing happen to me for the first time a few weeks ago. Normally when I lose contact with the AC no matter if it's the app telling me or the red led. I always use the S2 switch to get the RTH going, even though it might be underway on it's own. Using the S2 switch even if the RTH has started already does no harm. But after getting her home and viewing the video on the SD card I see there was a point mid RTH that the drone just stop and hovered for well over one full minute, then continued on the RTH. I didn't cancel the RTH via the app or the S1 switch I'm sure. It seems that the AC to RC connection was re-established and it canceled on it's own, is my guess. As I will hit the S2 switch again every time the beeping stops to make sure the RTH is underway, must have got her going again. Otherwise it might have just sat there till the low battery RTH came on.

Had this very thing happen to me for the first time a few weeks ago. Normally when I lose contact with the AC no matter if it's the app telling me or the red led. I always use the S2 switch to get the RTH going, even though it might be underway on it's own. Using the S2 switch even if the RTH has started already does no harm. But after getting her home and viewing the video on the SD card I see there was a point mid RTH that the drone just stop and hovered for well over one full minute, then continued on the RTH. I didn't cancel the RTH via the app or the S1 switch I'm sure. It seems that the AC to RC connection was re-established and it canceled on it's own, is my guess. As I will hit the S2 switch again every time the beeping stops to make sure the RTH is underway, must have got her going again. Otherwise it might have just sat there till the low battery RTH came on.

Upload your log.:D

Rod

I've had the same experience and what I discovered is that the USB connection from the RC to the viewing device is loose and make an intermittent connection. Make sure your connectors are snug. Now when the message "Aircraft Disconnected" pops up that's an entirely different matter.

I've had the same experience and what I discovered is that the USB connection from the RC to the viewing device is loose and make an intermittent connection. Make sure your connectors are snug. Now when the message "Aircraft Disconnected" pops up that's an entirely different matter.
There are no connections on the standard. ;)
What do you have?

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31