A noob's opinon on flight time and battery life.

Reaction score
First things first. This is MY opinion and I am a NOOB!!! So take it for what it's worth.
My background with quadcopters.
I had a P3P for about 3-4 weeks and absolutely loved it. I returned when the P4 came out because I can't afford two drones. I've been flying my P4 since the day it released and I have been enjoying it just as much. Because I'm a noob, and I only had my P3P just long enough to get my feet wet, I can't give an educated comparison of the two. However, I did do battery tests on both of them to get a feel for how long I can really fly.
I'm sorry to all of you who are on the "Bash DJI" bandwagon right now, but the P4 does exactly what DJI said it would and more when it comes to battery life and signal strength. It will fly "approx 28 minutes" and it will exceed "FCC Compliant: 3.1 mi ( 5 km ); CE Compliant: 2.2 mi ( 3.5 km )( Unobstructed, free of interference )", direct from DJI's website under P4 specifications.
These specifications are under optimal flight conditions. Most of you with short distances, from what I've seen from your posts, are not always flying in "optimal flying conditions". They may be good, but not optimal, and if you were DJI you wouldn't post specifications for good flying conditions, or even worse, least optimal flying conditions. You would do what they and everyone else in the quadcopter market does and publish specs from your most optimal flights.
In my noobish opinion, this is what 95% optimal looks like. I say 95% because I had 5-7mph crosswinds.
11505820069eeb6297ec9c8366f7eedf.jpg

IMG_0167.PNG

I flew out 20,100 feet today in the wind. At my turnaround I had 3 bars left for video and rc signal had all bars.
IMG_0166.PNG

At 19,200 feet I still had 4 and 5 bars. I tried to screenshot it, but I'm using an Ipad Air 2 and had to rest the RC on my knee to screenshot. When I lowered the RC I would lose the 4th bar for video. However, I did lose the 4th bar completely about another 600 feet away. At no time during this flight did I lose video, nor did it flicker. My goal was to reach 20,000 feet. I knew when I hit about 17,500 that I wasn't going to make it all the way back to my start point. The wind was causing me to burn up battery power. On the way back I was able to fly it within 3800 feet of my position. When the battery level reached critical I flew for about another minute or so and landed it near some easily identifiable terrain. I walked out got my P4 and came back. When I got back I noticed that I flew for 24 minutes and I had 9% battery left. If I would of flown it for that last 9% I might of made it back and I would of been pushing the "approx. 28 min" flight time. In the picture below it says 25min.
IMG_0170.PNG

To those of you who are having range and battery problems, I'm not calling you liars. You might have some issues with your P4s. I'm just reporting on what my P4 can do based on my experiences.
Also, I did another battery test with a different battery and I had the same flight time. 24mins with approx. 10% left. It's the latest flight in the pic above.
IMG_0169.PNG

Hope this is helpful to anyone on the fences about purchasing a new P4. I don't want all the negativity on here to scare you away. I'm loving mine and have had no issues so far.

Thank you, this was great evidence based critique. Did you also have obstacle avoidance on, etc.?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes I did. Sorry. I forgot to post how I flew.
I flew the whole route in Pmode with OA on.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for your input. I really am hoping that with more cycles the battery will get better. You have the perfect area to do range tests.

Reactions: adambfarmer
Yes I did. Sorry. I forgot to post how I flew.
I flew the whole route in Pmode with OA on.

Fantastic, I'm dying for the weather here to clear up. I've had mine since Monday and have only been in the air three times. [emoji53]

Fantastic, I'm dying for the weather here to clear up. I've had mine since Monday and have only been in the air three times. [emoji53]

I know the feeling. I got my P4 on the 10th and couldn't fly it until the 15th due to software and weather.

I know the feeling. I got my P4 on the 10th and couldn't fly it until the 15th due to software and weather.

That is weird. I went 4 miles (21,219ft) out and 4 miles back in 17:01 with my bone stock v1 P3A, landed with 10% battery. Pushed out against a ~12mph headwind and rode it back the whole way home. Full throttle out full throttle back. Zero signal loss from either the RC or Video.

If the P3 = P4 in battery and range you should have been able to make it back with the P4 and it should not have taken 24 minutes for you to go 20,108ft and back.

And look. I'm not in the boonies.

tZhlfQ0.jpg

Last edited:
That is weird. I went 4 miles (21,219ft) out and 4 miles back in 17:01 with my bone stock v1 P3A, landed with 10% battery. Pushed out against a ~12mph headwind and rode it back the whole way home. Full throttle out full throttle back. Zero signal loss from either the RC or Video.

If the P3 = P4 in battery and range you should have been able to make it back with the P4 and it should not have taken 24 minutes for you to go 20,108ft and back.

tZhlfQ0.jpg
What does that have to do with me getting it on the 10th and not being able to fly it until the 15th?

Nothing. But you can see what I'm saying right? Connect the dots.
Yes. I can see and say that the P3 is a good bird. I loved it the short time I had it. But that is not what this post is about. This post is about the P4 battery and range measuring up to what DJI said they would do.
As far as wind. I would of rathered a head wind and a tail wind. I had a cross wind. That means my P4 was fighting the wind coming and going, using more power to stay on course.

tZhlfQ0.jpg

The P4 with AO on flies slower than the P3 in P mode. And I like it that way. It feels much more tame and stable and makes me less nervous about it hitting something close to it.

Yes. I can see and say that the P3 is a good bird. I loved it the short time I had it. But that is not what this post is about. This post is about the P4 battery and range measuring up to what DJI said they would do.
As far as wind. I would of rathered a head wind and a tail wind. I had a cross wind. That means my P4 was fighting the wind coming and going, using more power to stay on course.

I know I saw your other post in the other thread :)

The P4 with AO on flies slower than the P3 in P mode. And I like it that way. It feels much more tame and stable and makes me less nervous about it hitting something close to it.

Yes it does and maybe that's why Adam's flight took so long and he didn't quite make it all the way back. I am glad to see he got as far out as he did though.

I have not done any distance runs with my P4 as I am breaking in her batteries but I will do a side by side comparison between the two using the same now modded (DBS Itelite) GL300A controller.

Curious what your air temps are & if this is affecting battery life? I did a controlled hover test the other day. P-mode, CA off, 24:35 to 0%. Your bird seems to be getting far batter battery life than the vast majority of P4s.

First things first. This is MY opinion and I am a NOOB!!! So take it for what it's worth.
My background with quadcopters.
I had a P3P for about 3-4 weeks and absolutely loved it. I returned when the P4 came out because I can't afford two drones. I've been flying my P4 since the day it released and I have been enjoying it just as much. Because I'm a noob, and I only had my P3P just long enough to get my feet wet, I can't give an educated comparison of the two. However, I did do battery tests on both of them to get a feel for how long I can really fly.
I'm sorry to all of you who are on the "Bash DJI" bandwagon right now, but the P4 does exactly what DJI said it would and more when it comes to battery life and signal strength. It will fly "approx 28 minutes" and it will exceed "FCC Compliant: 3.1 mi ( 5 km ); CE Compliant: 2.2 mi ( 3.5 km )( Unobstructed, free of interference )", direct from DJI's website under P4 specifications.
These specifications are under optimal flight conditions. Most of you with short distances, from what I've seen from your posts, are not always flying in "optimal flying conditions". They may be good, but not optimal, and if you were DJI you wouldn't post specifications for good flying conditions, or even worse, least optimal flying conditions. You would do what they and everyone else in the quadcopter market does and publish specs from your most optimal flights.
In my noobish opinion, this is what 95% optimal looks like. I say 95% because I had 5-7mph crosswinds.
11505820069eeb6297ec9c8366f7eedf.jpg

View attachment 48374
I flew out 20,100 feet today in the wind. At my turnaround I had 3 bars left for video and rc signal had all bars.
View attachment 48375
At 19,200 feet I still had 4 and 5 bars. I tried to screenshot it, but I'm using an Ipad Air 2 and had to rest the RC on my knee to screenshot. When I lowered the RC I would lose the 4th bar for video. However, I did lose the 4th bar completely about another 600 feet away. At no time during this flight did I lose video, nor did it flicker. My goal was to reach 20,000 feet. I knew when I hit about 17,500 that I wasn't going to make it all the way back to my start point. The wind was causing me to burn up battery power. On the way back I was able to fly it within 3800 feet of my position. When the battery level reached critical I flew for about another minute or so and landed it near some easily identifiable terrain. I walked out got my P4 and came back. When I got back I noticed that I flew for 24 minutes and I had 9% battery left. If I would of flown it for that last 9% I might of made it back and I would of been pushing the "approx. 28 min" flight time. In the picture below it says 25min.
View attachment 48376
To those of you who are having range and battery problems, I'm not calling you liars. You might have some issues with your P4s. I'm just reporting on what my P4 can do based on my experiences.
Also, I did another battery test with a different battery and I had the same flight time. 24mins with approx. 10% left. It's the latest flight in the pic above.
View attachment 48377
Hope this is helpful to anyone on the fences about purchasing a new P4. I don't want all the negativity on here to scare you away. I'm loving mine and have had no issues so far.

Curious what your air temps are & if this is affecting battery life? I did a controlled hover test the other day. P-mode, CA off, 24:35 to 0%. Your bird seems to be getting far batter battery life than the vast majority of P4s.
Yesterday it was around 82 degrees when I was out flying. I thought about doing something similar with the last 9% of the battery to see if I could get to the mythical 28. I'm sure with 9% left and just hovering I would of gotten there. These flights were full throttle in Pmode with OA on. The 20,100' flight I was averaging 18mph both ways because of the crosswind. Which is probably why I didn't make it the last 3000+ feet.

Last edited:
Yesterday it was around 82 degrees when I was out flying. I thought about doing something similar with the last 9% of the battery to see if I could be to the mythical 28. I'm sure with 9% left and just hovering I would of gotten there. These flights were full throttle in Pmode with OA on. The 20,100' flight I was averaging 18mph both ways because of the crosswind. Which is probably why I didn't make it the last 3000+ feet.

Here is a test, he is hovering for whole flight, and recording in 4k, the battery fly him for about 24-25 minutes, i believe it is within the range claimed by DJI, if he was not recording in 4k he would of probably done 25-27 minutes.. :

Its 20-30 degrees warmer in your locale so temperature may be a factor in battery runtime.. Need to get feedback from others on ambient temps during their flights. On speed, remember "full throttle" in P-mode with CA active is about only 2/3rds throttle since the speed is capped @ 22 mph. There is a sweet spot somewhere where you get the best battery economy per mile. We just have to figure out the most efficient speed.

Yesterday it was around 82 degrees when I was out flying. I thought about doing something similar with the last 9% of the battery to see if I could get to the mythical 28. I'm sure with 9% left and just hovering I would of gotten there. These flights were full throttle in Pmode with OA on. The 20,100' flight I was averaging 18mph both ways because of the crosswind. Which is probably why I didn't make it the last 3000+ feet.

Reactions: isopro
That is a very good possibility. I want to do the same route again with CA off and no wind. I think if I can fly a little faster, and have no wind to fight, I could go another 1000 feet or so and make it all the way back.

Here is a test, he is hovering for whole flight, and recording in 4k, the battery fly him for about 24-25 minutes, i believe it is within the range claimed by DJI, if he was not recording in 4k he would of probably done 25-27 minutes.. :
Wouldn't just hovering in place give you more time than flying around at full throttle?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4