A newbie needs help!

Reaction score
Hi to you all

I have just purchased a new p4p and love it very much. I am new to the whole filming process so would just like some advise on getting good quality video that I dont have to adjust in post!

Do I use 4K 2k 1080?

What would be a good set up ref other settings.

I have taken a few test flights put don't seem to be able to find correct settings, as most footage seems a bit noisy! I have just purchased some nd filters, hopefully that will help. But any advice from you lovely lot would be helpful. [emoji1417]

Also any help on auto focus set up would be lovely!
Sorry for asking so many questions. [emoji849]

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks jcjmc great video but I am ok with the set up and flying. Just wanted some help with getting good clear video and using auto focus when recording.

If any one has any help with this I would appreciate it. [emoji1417]

Most prefer 4K for quality...although it takes up more space on your memory card. Getting the biggest memory card possible for your bird is a good step. Mine is a 64GB card.

I generally use the defaults for video, which works well.

Turning slowly with the bird will yield better video. Same when you manually camera tilt. For aerial views, I use the POI option with a very slow rotation rate. That tends to produce high quality video of an area....better than most can do manually.

Thanks DroneGuyEd

What is POI option?

Its the Point of Interest option for the P4 series. You set a point on the ground, a circular radius and a rotation speed. It then circles that point at that radius and speed. Set the speed slow and get great stable video. I tend to set about 30 feet and very slow. Then use the camera tilt to get the image you want.

4K gives you the best resolution with enough pixels to crop the footage, but unfortunately it has a very low framerate, which will cause visible "stuttering", particularly while panning, or flying fast. Personally I stick to 1080/60 for most of my flying as it gives a very smooth and lifelike footage and 4K if I plan to stay stationary most of the time.

Reactions: JMR
Thanks for all your input[emoji1417]
My next question is!!

I want to then transfer the footage to fcp does any one know how the best way to do this? I.e. If I shoot video in 4K 30fps what's the best settings to use to transfer that too fcp? Would it be 2.7k 30fps? Sorry to be a pain but just needing a little help! [emoji51]

Thanks for all your input[emoji1417]
My next question is!!

I want to then transfer the footage to fcp does any one know how the best way to do this? I.e. If I shoot video in 4K 30fps what's the best settings to use to transfer that too fcp? Would it be 2.7k 30fps? Sorry to be a pain but just needing a little help! [emoji51]

By fcp...you mean what?

For transfers I generally remove the card, put in a carrier and read directly into PC/Mac. Its quite fast that way...if that helps.

Sorry I meant i have a mac computer with card reader and Final Cut Pro as the software. I just wanted to know the best settings to use when importing the video from my card? So ie. I have recorded some film in 4K 30fps do I import to Final Cut Pro in the same 4K 30fps or lower that too 2.7k ? Sorry [emoji52]

Hi Stuart
Editing in 4K can be very demanding of your computer. If your using FCP the project files will be huge at 4K. It will be a true test of your " rig ". If your just starting out make your life easier and shoot in 1080 till you figure your work flow out. The breadth and depth of all this is immense.

I have no experience with FCP, but do with other packages on both Mac and PC. I generally import at full resolution (4K) and then let the software do any conversations that might be needed. The little editing I have done so far has been just end trims. I leave the result at 4K and then move to YouTube. As the other poster said, it can take a while based on your gear.

All of my systems here run on SSD, so most things are fairly fast.

Roger on the "turn slowly" makes a better video, (I am really bad about it, and it gives me vertigo and horrible blurred video) and I sometimes want to know where the bird says it is (FPV); and I point the gimbal straight down-- the first time I did that I was over a pond, and my stomach just turned over (felt like I was going right into the water! ). You do get used to this, but it's unnerving at first. Be prepared for the shock to your system.

I use Elements Premier 15 (but I am not doing pro video by any means). I make slideshows with ProShow Gold and put them on YouTube. I just take the SD out of the bird and put into a card reader--to me that's the fastest way to transfer large files.

Thanks jcjmc great video but I am ok with the set up and flying. Just wanted some help with getting good clear video and using auto focus when recording.

If any one has any help with this I would appreciate it. [emoji1417]
Have a look on YouTube, there are some very good videos on best settings for the P4P by experienced pilots. I just leave everything on auto as I do not have the patience to edit video lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen