A near miss... OA worked on RTH (Signal Loss)

Reaction score
OK so I went to check out a few tweeks I made to the controller and see how the strobes I added worked the other night at my usual spot put this time when I went behind the smoke stacks I lost signal and it entered RTH which I really wasn't concerned with until the video feed took a while before it re-connected which is exactly where the OA kicked in at, right before it gets really close to the stack the copter veers right to avoid the stack and thats when I regained video feed ( i thought OMG its gonna hit :( ) But luckily it didn't.
OA during regular when I tested it stops the copter dead in its tracks which I kinda thought it would also do in RTH it was at the Max. allowed alt of 400 ft.

Can you share what time this "near miss" occurred. Don't really want to watch a 6 minute video.

OK so I went to check out a few tweeks I made to the controller and see how the strobes I added worked the other night at my usual spot put this time when I went behind the smoke stacks I lost signal and it entered RTH which I really wasn't concerned with until the video feed took a while before it re-connected which is exactly where the OA kicked in at, right before it gets really close to the stack the copter veers right to avoid the stack and thats when I regained video feed ( i thought OMG its gonna hit :( ) But luckily it didn't.
OA during regular when I tested it stops the copter dead in its tracks which I kinda thought it would also do in RTH it was at the Max. allowed alt of 400 ft.

Wow yip close was rather close before it vered off:eek:good good clear vidio:)

I'm no sure what went on there but it doesn't look like typical OA. Normally when an object is detected in its path the aircraft stops and then figures out what to do, not make course corrections at full speed.

Also worth noting is that OA is not normally a lifesaver during night or low light. Regardless if it was OA or the drone gods, luck wis in your favor. Go buy a lotto ticket, lol.

Reactions: Terminator X

Holy Sheet Lickitysplit! That was the smokestack on the right as you were heading out right? So you were'nt that far out were you? But I'm really surprised that your bird did not stop with OA on in your case. It was bright enough to see it I think. The hard yaw jerk at the end I thought was you doing that as saw it coming.

Awesome sharp video btw! New York looks so cool in the distance! Have you thought about setting your RTH at 450ft or 500 just to make dang sure you've cleared anything possible when it disconnects? Because if your gonna fly that far out your gonna get signal losses if you get much of anything blocking your line of sight. I know it's illegal for sure but youll only be there at that height for a min or so.

Holy Sheet Lickitysplit! That was the smokestack on the right as you were heading out right? So you were'nt that far out were you? But I'm really surprised that your bird did not stop with OA on in your case. It was bright enough to see it I think. The hard yaw jerk at the end I thought was you doing that as saw it coming.

Nope while I'm n RTH the controller is useless I regained video feed right at the moment it came from around the back of the smokestack

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I'm no sure what went on there but it doesn't look like typical OA. Normally when an object is detected in its path the aircraft stops and then figures out what to do, not make course corrections at full speed.

I know I tested OA a few times and the copter stops dead in its tracks I never tried in in RTH as a test
Something else I thought it might have been is the wind was coming from the North and when I came close to the stack it created a stronger gust and kinda pushed the copter a bit as it got close which just happened to be what it needed to avoid disaster,

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Awesome sharp video btw! New York looks so cool in the distance! Have you thought about setting your RTH at 450ft or 500 just to make dang sure you've cleared anything possible when it disconnects? Because if your gonna fly that far out your gonna get signal losses if you get much of anything blocking your line of sight. I know it's illegal for sure but youll only be there at that height for a min or so.

In this case it would have helped but there are obstacles (buildings) around here that far exceed that .

Totally agree.

But your not flying behind those from far away right? Just trying to help here. LOL
Would you have thought that flying @ 400ft. behind the stack would have caused me to lose signal ? I didn't . The point is you never know when your gonna lose signal and the P4P just makes a straight line home regardless of what's in the way. Around here I just really gotta keep that in mind .

If someone can learn a little something from my mistakes / experience I'm happy ..

Would you have thought that flying @ 400ft. behind the stack would have caused me to lose signal ? I didn't . The point is you never know when your gonna lose signal and the P4P just makes a straight line home regardless of what's in the way. Around here I just really gotta keep that in mind .

If someone can learn a little something from my mistakes / experience I'm happy ..
Hey what custom settings as far as sharpness color and contrast did you shoot this in? Edit in what software? Love the color tones man! Was some of that done in post?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj