A lesson learnt

Reaction score
Went flying by the beach today. I was expecting the seagulls to be harmless but got attacked by a swarm. I had to keep moving the quadcopter to avoid the attacks. Landed it ASAP and found scratch marks from the seagulls. NEVER FLY NEAR SEAGULLS!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had to keep moving the quadcopter to avoid the attacks. NEVER FLY NEAR SEAGULLS!

I did the same thing when confronted by those flying rats! First at the harbor then I moved down the coast and another group attacked. Territorial they are! but...

I watched a another flyer just completely ignore them, a different day, and repeatedly they dove but never collided. I think the operator was on the other side of the harbor so I never talked to them. The gulls were making a horrendous noise and the flight lasted 10 mins or so without indecent.

I read that over on the other side of the pond, UK, a seaside town had luck painting their roofs/awnings red. The article ended without conclusion but the theory was that the color red is a predator to the gulls.

Seagulls in Ulverston: Red roof plan to deter birds - BBC News

Myself..... Not willing to test the theory!

Reactions: dadum01
I flew up on Lake Erie this past week, exact same thing happened!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: dadum01
There has other posts, on birds, seagulls seem to be the worst, some have said your bird can climb faster than a bird, so that can scare them because if your above them they feel that they are the pray, and also go after them that turns them in to the prey.
Don't Know, but if your in a jam, might be something to try.:eek:

well ****, wouldn't they just get hit by the blades?
Yes, only if you collide with them, I think the thought is if there coming at your bird, they are curious and or think it is a threat and are trying to scare it away. You keep retreating they keep chasing. You turn on them your giving them a message that your not scarred they need to retreat. They don't know what this thing is.

I usually have prop guards and the fish line around the out side of the guards. But if contact is made and blade breaks its not going to be a good day.

Somebody posted that they lost one to bird attack, With there new one they were headed back to land saw a bird coming at a distance straight after his new one. He turned or reversed his bird, the bird took of the other way out of sight.

Don't know, I hear the Seagulls are the worst, I flew at the coast with my P2V but never noticed them paying attention to mine. Mar 2015.

Rod

I remember something else, somebody talked about putting some kind noise on there bird, like an eagle or something that would be a predictor of that bird.

I've had two close calls in Oklahoma with what I believe we're Mississippi Kites. Both times I had noticed them leisurly making their way toward my P3s and then suddenly making a direct pass. It wasn't until I watched the captured video later that I realized how close each bird actually came. Both came within 5 feet and then left me alone.

I've had two close calls in Oklahoma with what I believe we're Mississippi Kites. Both times I had noticed them leisurly making their way toward my P3s and then suddenly making a direct pass. It wasn't until I watched the captured video later that I realized how close each bird actually came. Both came within 5 feet and then left me alone.
Welcome to the Forum!
I had to search for that bird, it says there small, but look large in the photos!
Only 7-12 oz ?, collision would not be good.;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31