A heads up for UK pilots

Reaction score
A so called expert on the Jeremy Vine feature on drones yesterday (see separate thread) said that the CAA were actively looking to make an example prosecution of someone engaging in dangerous flying. He said they are monitoring the forums and YouTube. Am not suggesting anyone on here flies irresponsibly and also not sure if there was any truth in what he said but it is probably worth being extra vigilant. Should they want to enforce the letter of the law they would not have to search very hard !

There are people on here who have posted videos ( one recently) of flying over UK cities, flying very close to people etc.
If folks are aware of the regulations and flaunt it...its their big risk. However it does the responsible pilots no good or the hobby as a whole.

If anyone is interested in what you need know to fly responsibly in UK airspace please see this post, where I tried to present the regulations in an easier way rather than wading through the Air Navigation Order and Exemptions -which you still should really do - as that is the law and not my post!
viewtopic.php?t=14532
This post is still open to suggestions, corrections of course and is not gospel, just a guide.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Don't know if he could do it from his kitchen table, even with the dog and a wee glass ;) you never know! Was it Simon that did course lock using a hubsan and a lego pilot?

I doubt very much if there will be licencing for recreational flying. Commercial is already licenced. The CAA decides as the body in control of enforcing the ANO. The parameters are already there. Just stay in line and there is no fear. My rule of thumb is, if in doubt, don't. Its not really a big deal. We gotta live with it. And yes there are already fines.

If people exercise basic common sense I think the CAA will leave well alone, its the idiots as in any country which makes the regulators bums twitch.

Fly responsibly, have insurance, obey the regs and you shouldn't have a problem.

I saw a woman in Maplin yesterday buying a quad for her son. The 'knowledgeable' guy in the shop was very helpful.

The conversation went;
Lady: 'Can you fly these anywhere?'
Maplin Man: 'Yes. They are completely safe. It's really cool when you fly them above big groups of people.'

How are we supposed to educate people when you can go to a high street shop, buy a crappy quad for £100 and get great advice like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. The sales person needs severely reprimanded for such irresponsible advice.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I would have asked to see the manager if id seen them saying that, its just crap !!!!

:evil:

Now if we could just come up with some decent enforced regulations to tackle drunk driving, we can stop all the death and destruction that it causes, like flying toy drones does, we'd all be ok. :roll:

There should be a country specific guidance note put in the retail packaging outlining what is legal/illegal & sensible/foolish.

To be honest I am suprised the retailers do not do this already as there could be liability attached to them should an accident happen with a product they sell.

I just stumbled across this quote this morning while munching my cereal...

" The best legal advice is that you should never place yourself in a position where you need your legal advice to be right."

IrishSights said:
I just stumbled across this quote this morning while munching my cereal...

" The best legal advice is that you should never place yourself in a position where you need your legal advice to be right."

or in other words you should never fly too close to the wind

Or another interpretation could be don't get caught. lol. Im not an advocate of this interpretation though :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues