A Great Flight today...

NRJ

Reaction score
A funny thing happened whilst flying today. Everything went well. No warnings, no lag in the video, no lost signal. I usually always get a lost signal and lag. And when I returned home to view my stats on Healthy Drones website, it confirmed what happened while I was flying. Nothing wrong. Everything was as we all expect our flights to perform.

There was only one change I made prior to flying today. I changed from extended channels (from the hack) to auto. I have been using the channel hack for about 2 months and have been having lost signals a lot. I also have changed to test all of the additional channels. None seemed to work to well, but the logic of the additional channels made to much sense, and I used them. I have been pain stakingly trying to figure it all out thinking it was my antennas, my boosters or what. Now, having changed back to auto and not experiencing any lost signal or lag in the video and no warnings at all, I'm ecstatic.

Yes this may have been a fluke. But, I will continue not using the hack channels and if I just had a great flying day, I will let everyone know. If I am silent on the channel matter, you know I have continued using auto for the channels without issue. Happy Flying everyone.

Reactions: Reed L and dirkclod
Dont be surpriced.gif

Reactions: NRJ
Sounds like every flight I've ever had with my done. Next?? Hahaha
Seriously though, this is a good news thread, and these are always welcomed. More threads like it, should be shared. ;-)
Perhaps the folks who designed these drones, know what "should" work best, for everybody?
image.jpeg

They have been around much longer than most of us... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Sounds like every flight I've ever had with my done. Next?? Hahaha
Seriously though, this is a good is news thread, and these are always welcomed. More like it, should be shared. ;-)
Perhaps the folks who designed these drones, know what "should" work best, for everybody?

RedHotPoker

I think if we all had good flights and there were very few problems, we would only be sharing great stories. I guess the problems are what keep this site alive for the most part. But, we do learn from our experiences either good or bad. Thanks.

Reactions: RedHotPoker
If might seem strange, but trouble free phantoms are the norm. The forum threads with problems are very few in comparison to total sales. Are we the lucky ones? I am not sure about that. Perhaps them with problems are just the unlucky few?
Hopefully they get it sorted out.
Sure glad we are on the winning team. ;-)

RedHotPoker

If might seem strange, but trouble free phantoms are the norm. The forum threads with problems are very few in comparison to total sales. Are we the lucky ones? I am not sure about that. Perhaps them with problems are just the unlucky few?
Hopefully they get it sorted out.
Sure glad we are on the winning team. ;-)

RedHotPoker
I too have had numerous trouble free flights with my P3S. Following advice here on the forum has taught me the importance of compass calibrations and IMU performance checks that keep my flights trouble free and generally uneventful. That is a good thing. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Good info, thanks for posting.
If you finish the experiment it would be even more helpful, i.e. go back and test original use and see if the problem returns. Thanks again!

Good info, thanks for posting.
If you finish the experiment it would be even more helpful, i.e. go back and test original use and see if the problem returns. Thanks again!

That is a good point. I have been flying with auto channel lately and it has been very successful. I have planned another test today using auto so I will complete that. Then after that, possibly next week I will go back to the additional channels and test it again. Thanks for the input.

Hi NRJ...had to laugh about opening line last post "Everything went well" I would say most pilots love that..cheers!

Hi NRJ...had to laugh about opening line last post "Everything went well" I would say most pilots love that..cheers!

Haha, Thanks Alan, glad it brought some laughter to you. We always hear the bad. I have been flying for so long with so many warnings that I was shocked when I made that change and "Everything went well".

Sonof40 mentioned that it would be helpful if I were to revert back to using the additional channels and report back if my problems reappeared after doing that. I will try to do that next week. At least that will confirm my findings or not.

BTW, nice cat.

I finally had time to get out and test my channels theory. Previously I had been flying using the channel hack that provided more channels. It made sense to me that those additional channels had less traffic which would afford me a better signal. But, not realizing it, I was getting really bad signals using those additional channels. I kept changing through the various additional channels and all of them were about the same... BAD. Through this process, I had purchased a new Antenna (unboosted) from FVPLR and when that didn't work any better, boosted the same antenna. It helped but only a very little bit. I was not happy.

Then one day, I said to myself, self, try the AUTO channels. I did and have been flying happily since and at much greater distances and without lag and without warnings.

Attached are two photo's (if I can get them attached correctly) that show me using channel 28, and the other using Auto.

I'm not sure how the rest of you are doing with the additional channels, but this is my proof and I am happy. Happy flying with auto channels or even selecting a specific 1 through 20 channels.

P.S. This is all done on the same day flying two different flights but using the same battery.

P3A Channel 28 Test.jpg

P3A Channel Auto Test.jpg

Last edited:
I finally had time to get out and test my channels theory. Previously I had been flying using the channel hack that provided more channels. It made sense to me that those additional channels had less traffic which would afford me a better signal. But, not realizing it, I was getting really bad signals using those additional channels. I kept changing through the various additional channels and all of them were about the same... BAD. Through this process, I had purchased a new Antenna (unboosted) from FVPLR and when that didn't work any better, boosted the same antenna. It helped but only a very little bit. I was not happy.

Then one day, I said to myself, self, try the AUTO channels. I did and have been flying happily since and at much greater distances and without lag and without warnings.

Attached are two photo's (if I can get them attached correctly) that show me using channel 28, and the other using Auto.

I'm not sure how the rest of you are doing with the additional channels, but this is my proof and I am happy. Happy flying with auto channels or even selecting a specific 1 through 20 channels.

P.S. This is all done on the same day flying two different flights but using the same battery.

View attachment 58525

View attachment 58526
It's my understanding that most(all?) antenna boosters only cover a portion of the full 32 channels. Someone figured out the operating range of the Suhans amps and determined that it operated on the first X channels. I can't remember the exact range, but the advice given was to just use Auto as the boosted range only covers a small number of channels outside the normal range.

ETA: Just checked and my sunhans cover 2.4ghz to 2.5, which is somewhere around channels 1-16

I kinda went through the same thing with the channel hack. Applied it to my NVidia Shield, and it worked, I could see all the channels, but the first time I flew my P3P with the hack, I couldn't get any stable downlink past maybe 100 feet downrange and probably 100 feet up. I landed the AC, changed to AUTO, and didn't have a problem. So guess I'll stick with AUTO for a while...

It's my understanding that most(all?) antenna boosters only cover a portion of the full 32 channels. Someone figured out the operating range of the Suhans amps and determined that it operated on the first X channels. I can't remember the exact range, but the advice given was to just use Auto as the boosted range only covers a small number of channels outside the normal range.

ETA: Just checked and my sunhans cover 2.4ghz to 2.5, which is somewhere around channels 1-16

This is a really good thing to know. You would think that Sunhans would put out a spec sheet that would tell you that. Oh well, they didn't ask me. Haha. Thanks again for the info.

I kinda went through the same thing with the channel hack. Applied it to my NVidia Shield, and it worked, I could see all the channels, but the first time I flew my P3P with the hack, I couldn't get any stable downlink past maybe 100 feet downrange and probably 100 feet up. I landed the AC, changed to AUTO, and didn't have a problem. So guess I'll stick with AUTO for a while...

Thanks for your input. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem, but also glad not everyone had this problem. I spent about 3-4 months with grief cause my bird fly far at all. As they say, live and learn. But, I'm happy now. Got my distance back.

802.11 has 14 channels with #14 a bit out of band considering a CF of 2495MHz and a 22 MHz b/w.

Beyond that (ch 15-32) you get into reserved bands and that is why the 32 channel hack allows better performance as it extends into those reserved bands where there is not unlicensed activity. Operating beyond 2.5GHz unlicensed is illegal in the U.S. and many other places.

There are spec sheets for your amps. You can find them on-line.
But know your Sunhans amps are specd. for 2.4 - 2.5 GHz. The full 2.4G ISM band. There's no need for them to go beyond as it is illegal to operate there.

802.11 has 14 channels with #14 a bit out of band considering a CF of 2495MHz and a 22 MHz b/w.

Beyond that (ch 15-32) you get into reserved bands and that is why the 32 channel hack allows better performance as it extends into those reserved bands where there is not unlicensed activity. Operating beyond 2.5GHz unlicensed is illegal in the U.S. and many other places.

There are spec sheets for your amps. You can find them on-line.
But know your Sunhans amps are specd. for 2.4 - 2.5 GHz. The full 2.4G ISM band. There's no need for them to go beyond as it is illegal to operate there.

Interesting. It is so good to find so many people with all this knowledge. From you guys, I learn too. What you guys have given me is enough for my needs. Thanks again for all your help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav