A few shots after a snowstorm

Reaction score
It was 20° (f) today in Massachusetts. Here's a few shots. My p4 ran great in the cold weather. It's a pretty dreary day today but I'd love to know if I can lighten my lens up a bit. It started to snow after 15 min flying, so I just landed and ready to go another day.

Attachments

• IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 425
Reactions: kndll
You might need to be in manual mode though not auto, although auto would lighten them up anyway. Try and keep your speed at 100-125 and increase your ISO

Reactions: MA drone guy
You might need to be in manual mode though not auto, although auto would lighten them up anyway. Try and keep your speed at 100-125 and increase your ISO

Thank you again!! I've spent a solid 2 months just flying now I've got to learn the best photo/video options.

Another suggestion is you shoot in Raw mode. Then lightning will be easy in a photo editing application. Of course it would be even better to check your readings b4 taking photo so it comes out right. I usually shoot in manual as someone suggested.

Agree with kk6ou, shooting in RAW mode retains all the information the lens is taking in. Then bump the exposure in an editor like RAWTherapee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4b2885bd5d19fc9358a8b1888ad6ba40.jpg

Kinda grainy, just boosted the exposure 2 stops on my iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

those pictures would have looked great with longer exposure! Manual settings rule for low light environments. Play with them: move your ISO up and down and your shutter speed....you ll be amazed by the results.

you can edit the pics post with lightroom, photoshop or quickly on your phone with snapseed. i oversaturated your pic just to give you an idea.

Thank you for this and

THANK YOU ALL for the suggestions. I'll be loading a photo editor tomorrow and start playing. I'm going to try adjusting some settings to see what I can do there.

Another thought is set your camera for bracketed mode 3 or 5 shot. Then take those into a program like Photomatix Express. Very easy to use program and does some pretty cool stuff. You can get a free trial online.

Snow is exactly the kind of situation that EV compensation is made for. Snow and bright skies make the camera think is it brighter than normal, and that it needs to dial the exposure down. That is why snow scenes always look muddy on any camera that is set to auto. The camera isn't smart enough to know it needs to overexpose. So, dial +1 or +2 on the EV compensation and leave it in auto.

It is better to get the exposure right in the camera first. Then you don't have to tweak it as much in lightroom.

Hi everyone. Thank you for your suggestions. I've started playing with different settings. I'm getting a little better I think. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Here's a pic from today similar conditions to my first pic in this thread. I did not edit this. Just the raw pic from my p4

Attachments

• IMG_4487.JPG
    IMG_4487.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj