A Few Questions - How do you do it?

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just got my PV2+ and have been reading until my eyes bleed on here and the manual. Lots to learn!

I have a few questions and am looking for advice.... These are from things I have read either here or in the manual.

1) when you learned to fly, did you learn in phantom mode or NAZA mode? Which would you recommend for a beginner? I have read all about the advantages for NAZA and it certainly sounds like the place I want to end up, but didn't know if you suggest starting in phantom mode.

2) do you leave the gimble clamp that came on the camera on when you aren't in use to help protect and hold everything, or did you just trash that after you got the drone? It seems like the kind of item I would want to reinstall if I was transporting the phantom in a backpack or whatever.

3) do any of you use recharagble AA batteries in the controller and if so, have you had any issues with that? I have seen a few mentions in passing of recharagble AAs but didn't know how commonly that was done. I have a bunch of high performance AA that I use in my stobes for photography.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions - I have learned a lot from reading this forum and appreciate all the knowledge you have already imparted on me!

- Kristen

Hello,

#1 PHANTOM MODE ( NAZA for experienced pilots )

#2 KEEP, you are correct ( use when transporting ) better safe than sorry

#3 I use alkaline ( energizers ) in mine ( don't trust rechargeable batteries ) this is just my opinion!

Hope this helps!

Scenictraverse said:
Hey guys! I just got my PV2+ and have been reading until my eyes bleed on here and the manual. Lots to learn!

I have a few questions and am looking for advice.... These are from things I have read either here or in the manual.

1) when you learned to fly, did you learn in phantom mode or NAZA mode? Which would you recommend for a beginner? I have read all about the advantages for NAZA and it certainly sounds like the place I want to end up, but didn't know if you suggest starting in phantom mode.

2) do you leave the gimble clamp that came on the camera on when you aren't in use to help protect and hold everything, or did you just trash that after you got the drone? It seems like the kind of item I would want to reinstall if I was transporting the phantom in a backpack or whatever.

3) do any of you use recharagble AA batteries in the controller and if so, have you had any issues with that? I have seen a few mentions in passing of recharagble AAs but didn't know how commonly that was done. I have a bunch of high performance AA that I use in my stobes for photography.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions - I have learned a lot from reading this forum and appreciate all the knowledge you have already imparted on me!

- Kristen
1) start in phantom mode. You don't want to complicate things at first. You have the right idea that you want to end up in naza. The advantages to an experienced flyer are many.
2) i always put the gimbal clamp back on when I am transporting to a flying location and back. In other words when it is in the box. It supports the delicate gimbal and camera very well. It slides on and off easily once you get the hang of it. I also put it on after my last flight of a session before I pull the battery out just to be safe. Just remember to always remove it before any power up.
3) i use only alkalines in mine non rechargeable. They last a long time so the cost is negligible and they are reliable.

I hope you have fun! Don't forget to take off quickly, pop it up off the ground with full throttle about 6 to 10 feet up and hover. Then follow the piloting instructions in that one manual to learn your skills. Welcome to the club.

Scenictraverse said:

- Kristen

1. Phantom mode. Get comfortable and then switch.
2. The only time my gimbal clamp is not attached is when the phantom is flying. When I land, I put the clamp back on before I pull out the battery or put on the lens cap.
3. Good rechargeable batteries are fine.

I agree with all the recommendations here. After 3 weeks of successful flying (no crashes) I finally decided to switch to NAZA-M mode from Phantom mode.

People, I'm a newbie to RC so I've been reading as much as I can. Not certain why NAZA is only recommended for pilots with experience . Because of my gimbal issue I haven't flown as much as I want to .so can someone tell me why NAZA WITHOUT MANUAL MODE is more dangerous than PHANTOM mode. Once you set switch 1 and 2 to activate say IOC and FAIL SAFE. Do they do that when you switch back to PHANTOM mode if they don't that would mean you have to be in NAZA mode to take advantage of IOC. I need that as my eyes aren't good enough these days to see the PHANTOMS orientation once it gets more than a few feet away from me. I plan on checking this out once I'm able to take it out again (a few days away I think).

The English Guy said:
People, I'm a newbie to RC so I've been reading as much as I can. Not certain why NAZA is only recommended for pilots with experience . Because of my gimbal issue I haven't flown as much as I want to .so can someone tell me why NAZA WITHOUT MANUAL MODE is more dangerous than PHANTOM mode. Once you set switch 1 and 2 to activate say IOC and FAIL SAFE. Do they do that when you switch back to PHANTOM mode if they don't that would mean you have to be in NAZA mode to take advantage of IOC. I need that as my eyes aren't good enough these days to see the PHANTOMS orientation once it gets more than a few feet away from me. I plan on checking this out once I'm able to take it out again (a few days away I think).

Naza mode is not more dangerous, just less switches to worry about. IOC is only available in Naza mode, which is why we all recommend that everyone switch when they are comfortable with the basics. IOC is incredibly useful when the craft is out of sight.

Are you saying that I have to go into NAZA in order to activate the switches then if I go back to PHANTOM MODE I've lost the ability to use switch 2 to put it in IOC or does that ability to use switch 2 for IOC stay even in PHANTOM MODE. if so does switch 1 still have the capability to enable compass calibration.

The English Guy said:
Are you saying that I have to go into NAZA in order to activate the switches then if I go back to PHANTOM MODE I've lost the ability to use switch 2 to put it in IOC or does that ability to use switch 2 for IOC stay even in PHANTOM MODE. if so does switch 1 still have the capability to enable compass calibration.

Switch S2 is only active in Naza mode. So yes, you lose all functionality in the S2 switch when you change to Phantom mode. You can still cal the compass by toggling the S1 switch when in Phantom mode.

I recently switched my p2 from phantom to Naza mode.

Definitely the right thing to do as the IOC is very useful. I guess they recommend it for more experienced pilots because it can be confusing when in home lock or course lock, the controls will work differently to normal mode.. Easy to get into a panic if you don't keep your wits about you but no problem if you take care. Having home lock gives you mire confidence to yaw the aircraft when it's a long way away without fear of losing orientation

I've also configured the right hand switch to engage fail safe in its lowest position... Finally tested it and it's fine - 35 years playing with RC means Switched the Tx off while the aircraft is flying goes against the grain!

I put my Phantom in NAZA mode immediately upon receipt. There is no reason NOT to be in NAZA mode, just always remember to start your flight with both switches in the top position! With NAZA mode and IOC enabled, you get extra ways control the aircraft and utilize the camera, plus I prefer throwing a switch to initiate RTH as opposed to powering off the transmitter. I ALWAYS install the gimbal clamp when storing or transporting the aircraft. I use regular batteries. Rechargeables will be 1.2 v per cell vs. 1.5. Does this make a difference on transmitter output power? Haven't tested but imagine it would.

I have found that the battery voltage in the controller makes a huge diff. I live in the high desert with long sweeping valleys, lots of dry air. With a fresh set of energizers on the first trip can get 5K feet. The 2nd trip lucky to get 4. By the 5th or 6th Phantom batt lucky to see 3K for distance. I checked the voltage on the controller batts and the best results are when its between 6.4 and 6.9 volts, and that goes away fast.

ry%3D400

Thanks everyone for the comments. I never considered the voltage drop in the rechargeable batteries and that's a very good point.

I did a "dry run" this evening of setting everything up and getting up to the engine start mode to make sure I was good with those procedures and that all connections were working. It's very satisfying moving that camera and taking my first non flying selfie! So far very pleased and just need to start working on flight basics and troubleshooting.

Scenictraverse said:
Thanks everyone for the comments. I never considered the voltage drop in the rechargeable batteries and that's a very good point.

I did a "dry run" this evening of setting everything up and getting up to the engine start mode to make sure I was good with those procedures and that all connections were working. It's very satisfying moving that camera and taking my first non flying selfie! So far very pleased and just need to start working on flight basics and troubleshooting.

You've created some lovely photographs, Kristen. You should be able to get some nice Road and Trail shots with your Phantom. Enjoy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie