A few basic questions about Phantom 3 standard

Reaction score
I've acquired a Phantom 3 standard (through my credit-card's loyalty program) and it's going to be a give for a family member. I plan to use an Acer Iconia A3 tablet (Android 4.2, 10-inch screen, MediaTek 1.2 Ghz Quadcore, 1 gb ram) unless I learn that it's too under-powered (cpu wise). I know the choice of tablet to use with these drones is a major topic of discussion and I don't want to explore it here too much, but I do want to know this basic fact:

Does the Phantom 3 have a radio link directly with the tablet (for either video or telemetry/control) or does is the drone's radio link only to the DJI controller? I ask because I thought I read somewhere that the flight distance range is somehow tied to the wifi radio capability of the tablet.

My other question is about the geo-fencing that seems to be built into these DJI drones and I'm wondering what sort of no-fly-zone database the Phantom 3 has in terms of Canada, and specifically the Windsor Ontario area (I'm thinking proximity to Detroit and the US/Canada border).

Thanks for any answers on those 2 points.

First of all the wifi is only between the controller and the drone. The tablet doesn't affect it as it's linked to the controller by the tablet with USB cable. As for the tablet you may want to go for 2GB minimum ESP if you plan to get litchi in future

As for the airports from what I beleive you have to be 5 miles away unless you have permission to fly near there but I could be wrong on that on

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Does the Phantom 3 drone communicate directly with the tablet/phone, and hence the flight range of the drone is determined by the wifi radio/antenna of the tablet/phone? If so, this is an aspect of the choice of tablet/phone that I have not seen anyone write about.

Other FPV drones have dual radio (2.4 and 5 ghz) radio links where the 5 ghz link is used to transmit camera video to the pilot and the 2.4 ghz link is for flight telemetry and control. Does the Phantom 3 also use this dual-band scheme?

The 2.4 ghz wifi band has up to 14 channels allocated to it. Channels 12, 13 and 14 are technically not usable in north america but it is somewhat common to be able to set wifi routers to operate on those channels, with the benefit of greatly reduced interference. If the Phantom 3 also uses these same wifi channels, do you have the choice to *force* the Phantom to use, say, channel 13?

The PH3 standard uses 2.4g for video and 5.8g for control. The flight controller (TX) sets up a wifi hotspot that the mobile device ( tablet or ph) connects to . All the two way traffic happens between the phantom and the controller. Hope that helps tried to keep it as simple as possible.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

> The PH3 standard uses 2.4g for video and 5.8g for control.

Hmmm. I've read some posts that indicate the phantom 3 (maybe all types of phantoms, including 4) only use the 2.4 ghz band for both control and video, and that only the Inspire drones use both 2.4 and 5.8 ghz bands.

Edit: I see that there are 3'rd party antenna kits for the Phantom 3 - but the kits are different for the 3 Standard vs 3 Pro/Advanced. Why would there be a difference in terms of just the antenna / radio setup between the Standard vs Pro/Advanced?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen