A couple of questions regarding motors (not spinning)

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went for a quick flight and soon after take of the (battery) alarm went of, I had this happen to me once before so I was eager to get the bird near the ground as quick as possible, so I descended over a grassy field hoping a potential crash would be softer on the grass. Anyway it didn't quite come to that, however the phantom tipped over while landing and because it was wet grass/mud the phantom hull got quite dirty.
I tried to turn on the phantom once again once recovered and then noticed that one of the motors wasn't quite spinning as fast as the others (and had also issues starting to spin).
At home I took the motor apart (first time) in an attempt to clean but couldn't really notice any dirt inside so I put it back together. If I turn the motor by hand it rotates smoothly and also doesn't make any supicous noises.
But it won't spin as fast as the others and it also seems that it has less torque than the others when I grab it with my hand while it spins: it is a lot easier to get it to stop than any other motor.
From reading on here and on other forums I guess it's either the motor or esc which is damaged but I have some questions to both:

- I have the 920kv Tiger Antigravity Motors on it, give that one of them is already crapping out potentially I am not too keen to buy more of those (expensive) motors, could I replace the broken motor with a DJI 920kv motor and leave the other three tiger motors on there or is this a bad idea?

- I don't know which version ESCs I have? Do they all have to be the same version or can I potentially replace the esc with the newer v2.1 ESC regardless of the other ESC I have in the phantom?

- I know I could potentially test this by switching two motors but I am bad at soldering and would love to keep it to a minimum needed, however is there anything else I could try or should have a look at?

Thanks for all the help, I could use a bit of support, I hate to be (and feeling) grounded :(

Hi all,

I went for a quick flight and soon after take of the (battery) alarm went of, I had this happen to me once before so I was eager to get the bird near the ground as quick as possible, so I descended over a grassy field hoping a potential crash would be softer on the grass. Anyway it didn't quite come to that, however the phantom tipped over while landing and because it was wet grass/mud the phantom hull got quite dirty.
I tried to turn on the phantom once again once recovered and then noticed that one of the motors wasn't quite spinning as fast as the others (and had also issues starting to spin).
At home I took the motor apart (first time) in an attempt to clean but couldn't really notice any dirt inside so I put it back together. If I turn the motor by hand it rotates smoothly and also doesn't make any supicous noises.
But it won't spin as fast as the others and it also seems that it has less torque than the others when I grab it with my hand while it spins: it is a lot easier to get it to stop than any other motor.
From reading on here and on other forums I guess it's either the motor or esc which is damaged but I have some questions to both:

- I have the 920kv Tiger Antigravity Motors on it, give that one of them is already crapping out potentially I am not too keen to buy more of those (expensive) motors, could I replace the broken motor with a DJI 920kv motor and leave the other three tiger motors on there or is this a bad idea?

- I don't know which version ESCs I have? Do they all have to be the same version or can I potentially replace the esc with the newer v2.1 ESC regardless of the other ESC I have in the phantom?

- I know I could potentially test this by switching two motors but I am bad at soldering and would love to keep it to a minimum needed, however is there anything else I could try or should have a look at?

Thanks for all the help, I could use a bit of support, I hate to be (and feeling) grounded :(

I Don't mix motors, you want all of them the same. The one motor that is acting up I would be suspect of the Motor controller (ESC). The motors are fairly hardy and take a lot of abuse. The motors controllers on the other hand are not. If a motor or prop gets hung up and try's to spin for a minute or so and can't.... Usually a Moffit get burned out in the ESC so then it need replaced.
All motors should start and stop at the same time and spin free
Y the same by hand with a little resistance. Touch and turn by hand is a good test.

Thanks guys for your replies, appreciate it a lot!

I ordered an ESC, hope it works out.

I could promise to post back here how it worked out, but like most others I probably forget.

If you read this in the future wanting to know the outcome, please don't hesitate to PM me!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20