A bit confused

Reaction score
Hi

So my original plan was to buy a P2V, i really like the idea of seeing and recording whilst i fly.

But having a look on RcGeeks now has me confused about Phantom, Phantom 1 and FC40 :?

First, i take it this the FC40 ( i assume it is as the link shows FC40 in it ), however the description describes it as P1

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/models/dji-in ... r-rtf.html

and this is the Phantom (base model ??)

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/models/dji-in ... mount.html

so this camera only fits the FC40, or does it also fit the Phantom( im going out on a limb and thinking the Wifi would conflict with the controller)

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/spares-finder ... amera.html

it says it uses the app so i can see what it sees, can you use the Wifi extender with it to extend the range ? and what price is the extender and where can i get it.

Is the quality of the video any less better than the P2V camera.

Im not looking to save money per se, however as a beginner if i lose say £400 as opposed to £724 i wouldnt feel so bad (still bad but not that bad)

Thanks for any answers

Edit: last question honest

Flight times, between the P, P1 (FC40) or the P2V which is better ?

On my phone so I don't wanna get to much into detail about everything, so I'll just post realistic specs based on my personal experience with the fc40. Battery life on stock battery is around 7-10min, but my maddog 2700 gets it up to 10-14min. Based on a mix of normal and hard flying in gps mode. As for video quality of the fc40 camera, I have a few videos on my youtube you can watch to see for yourself (link in signature) I rarely edit my videos so you can see the raw videos and true performance.

wow im impressed, the video over the college is so clear, can you stop and start the video from the app, i take it you have FPV.

Do you get telemetry via the app or would i need to add a seperate unit for it ?

It depends on your needs. Do you want better videos and photos, or a cheaper, but usable quad? If you want the latter, the FC40 will do you nicely.

i just like the idea of taking aerial video, the quality doesnt have to be production worthy, its just for fun,

The FC40 WiFi camera has very limited range and suffers from some serious peculiarities. Some people using Kindle Fires can get 1000 ft WiFi range from the camera but I struggled to get it to 600ft and even then the low frame rate in the app made FPV flying impossible. The app also crashes if you lose connection (which happens a lot) losing the video you were recording into the bargain.

I persevered with the stock camera for a fortnight before chucking it away in frustration and getting a GoPro, gimbal and video TX.

So some say yes and some say no, interesting.

its a bit of a conundrum, i like the simplicity of the fc40, however advice from Wattage has put me off slightly.

crash1sttime said:
So some say yes and some say no, interesting.

its a bit of a conundrum, i like the simplicity of the fc40, however advice from Wattage has put me off slightly.

So a P2 it is then???

The Phantom 1 and base Phantom 2 use 2.4Ghz controllers. The FC40 and Phantom 2 Vision models use 5.8Ghz controllers.

DJI's cameras use 2.4Ghz, as does a GoPro. However, you can get 5.8Ghz video transmitters easily/cheaply; you'd also need a 5.8Ghz receiver and a small TV (these transmit video, not Wifi).
You can get an iosd or similar to add telemetry info (battery voltage, position, orientation, etc) to the video.

To change from a 5.8Ghz controller to a 2.4Ghz controller is relatively cheap. To go the other way is more expensive, since only DJI makes 5.8Ghz controllers.

There are many options available to you. You need to choose how much building you want to do vs. how much flying/filming.

CityZen said:
You need to choose how much building you want to do vs. how much flying/filming.

No building, just fly and film, i know its a higher outlay so......

N017RW said:
a P2 it is then???

yep its a P2V for definate :D

Thanks for all the feedback lads (and lasses ???)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik