A BIT CONCERNED...

Reaction score
I'm a member of numerous forums, websites, chat rooms etc...I see EVERYTHING there is to see about our hobby.

The last few weeks have been very disconcerning and just plain scary, as I have seen a huge increase in amature, uneducated, "newbie" pilots enter the world of UAV's.

Seeing post after post about accidental CSC's "HELP my phantom just dropped out of the sky!!!" (not even knowing what a CSC is, let alone how it happened), or posts like "my Phantom won't turn on" ("did you press the button once then twice and hold?") - "It works thanks!!!", or maybe some thing like "Hey guys just got my P3, how do you bypass the 1600ft limit"? Etc....

It's scary to think there's been a huge jump in these people since X-mas and they're growing by the dozens. REGULATIONS ARE COMING my fellow pilots, it's not if, it's when. The idiots that won't even read the manual will ruin this hobby for everyone.

Thanks for reading guys.

Reactions: skyegg
That's right many don't read and understand the manual completely and jump to the field of flying. Even price of $1000+ has not deterred them.

Only good thing is that I hardly see drones in the sky. That means many have bought them but have no keen interest in flying them or there is some other reason I don't understand right now.

There is a restricted areas for fixed winged aircrafts and we don't see any risk but these drones are equipped with good cameras and all want to take them to places of attractions which are usually crowded. Else people fly over rivers, trees and oceans which is safe to some extent.

Reactions: JimmysWoodshop
The problem that I see is that most people think that drones are toys... Well maybe the small ones, the size of your hands are but like the size of a phantom is not really a toy. So immature people without lack of security, respect and proper handle of the device, are flying over people, over cities and some even don't care that next to them there is an airport. This is why I like what DJI is trying to do with making aware on the screen if you can fly in the area where u want. But yes, agreed that ultimately we will pay the price because of some no following the rules.

New uneducated user are not without concern for for both hobby and commercial use, but maybe to a lager extent, why isn't the FAA not insisting and upholding that only one body of government rules the airspace. Too many rules made by local and state governments are making it hard for anyone to know when and where it is okay to fly. Disneyland is a good example of how it's suppose to work. The city of Anaheim could have made their own law regarding flying over or around Disney, but thru the process of a TRF, every pilot has the opportunity to see the existing restrictions at one location, from one governing body, the FAA. Just my .02 cents.

All good points, but no none is addressing the area of concern which is the newbies refusing to even read manuals to learn how to use them. And no we all don't "need to start some where" like with the birds thinks. Read the **** manual. Buy a $30 toy drone from Walmart first. That's where you start. Not on a DJI.

All good points, but no none is addressing the area of concern which is the newbies refusing to even read manuals to learn how to use them. And no we all don't "need to start some where" like with the birds thinks. Read the **** manual. Buy a $30 toy drone from Walmart first. That's where you start. Not on a DJI.
We do all need to start somewhere. That's not just what I think, it's fact. I never read the manual, not cover to cover anyway. I made sure I understood every setting in the app, read a bit here and on other forums, started easy and went from there. All good.

I read my manuals like others would read a good book. In fact I read it over and over, but I have always been that kind of guy. I'm like a kid in a toy store, i.e., "oh wow it can do that". I love to find new things I didn't know.

I also try to be a good mentor for friends and family. My young grandson said he wanted a drone for his birthday. Something toy like vs a DJI. I am excited for his interest, but I have also explained that it comes with responsibilities and he would have to learn the FAA guidelines first.

Of course that was a couple of months ago and like all my grandkids, spoiled. He now wants a hover board. LOL.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20