90-degree angle antenna on transmitter?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got one of the oh-so-popular FPVLR antenna sets (the set, for those who don't know, come with one helical-type antenna with a straight connector, one pinwheel-type antenna with a straight connector and one pinwheel-type antenna with a 90-degree angle connector).

What I'm wondering is, should the 90-degree angle pinwheel antenna go on the receiver or the transmitter? I don't know what the directionality of those pinwheel antennas is like (I know the helical antenna is strongest along the antenna's long axis). I read Tony's website, but it doesn't say anything about which antenna to use where.

My guess is that I should use the helical and the straight pinwheel on the (diversity) receiver and the 90-degree pinwheel on the transmitter, but I'd like the folks here who are more knowledgeable than me to confirm or deny this.

Thanks. :)

P.S.- If I'm correct that the 90-degree pinwheel should go on the transmitter, how should it be oriented for best reception?

That's correct. Have fun fpving!

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Position it straight down. If too long angle slightly and slightly bend flexible cable so that it is just above ground as quad is sitting stationary.

The pinwheel on monitor should point straight up. I easily got 2700 meters out at 90 meters up with that same setup. Only lost video on the turn to come back because gimbal and camera were in the way. Double the height and no loss should occur.

Do you have a picture? I am curious what you have for sure.

Sounds like you plan to replace the 5.8 TX on the controller and one of the 2.4 antennas out of the two in the Range Extender?

Sounds like a 5.8 set up for P2 with go pro to me?

The only reason I say this is because he posted to FPV thread instead of Vision+ ...but I've been wrong before. Just ask my wife ;)

Damon said:
Sounds like a 5.8 set up for P2 with go pro to me?

The only reason I say this is because he posted to FPV thread instead of Vision+ .. )

Probably right.

Ah, my apologies for not being clear!
Damon's right; I have a P2 with GoPro3 & HD-3D. My FPV setup is an ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz Tx and BlackPearl 7-ch 5.8GHz Rx. I bought the FPVLR antenna set (I originally bought http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=77&product_id=106, which turned out to be the wrong one [**** RP-SMA! :p] which I then exchanged for this one, which is the correct set: http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=97).

Thank you all for the feedback! I've put the 90-degree angle pinwheel on the drone, pointed straight down (it is in fact a bit too long, so I just have the wire bent a bit like Damon said).

I'm going out to fly right now. I'll come back and post about what kind of range I get! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.