9" props

Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone know where I can get 9" plastic props for my first version P1, without screw on props. I prefer to order from a USA company.
Thank you,
Terry

I agree, it flies very nice. I was reading about P1 mods, and a few people upgraded the battery, and installed 9" props. I just thought I would give it a try, just for fun. I use Mad Dog 2700 batteries, already.
Terry

I agree, it flies very nice. I was reading about P1 mods, and a few people upgraded the battery, and installed 9" props. I just thought I would give it a try, just for fun. I use Mad Dog 2700 batteries, already.
Terry
I have 3 P1s. I have one with a 3 axis metal gimbal and a go pro and a 4000 ma battery. With the added weight I find the 9450 props work well but without the weight the 9 inch . props didn't fly as smoothly as stock props. . I didn't do a whole lost of testing but this works for me.

I have 3 P1s. I have one with a 3 axis metal gimbal and a go pro and a 4000 ma battery. With the added weight I find the 9450 props work well but without the weight the 9 inch . props didn't fly as smoothly as stock props. . I didn't do a whole lost of testing but this works for me.

Great. Do you know where I can get them here in the USA?
Terry

Shucks, they are screw on props. My P1 is an early version that don't use screw on props.
Thanks anyway.
Terry

Shucks, they are screw on props. My P1 is an early version that don't use screw on props.
Thanks anyway.
Terry
suggestions post a close up picture of what your motor top looks like and the prop also. A guy the other day asked the same question on earlr P1 props. I offered a couple of suggestions on how to use the newer props but never heard back from him.

I'm interested in this thread as I bought a P1 used and immediately fitted self-tightening 9" props off a P2 with no problems at all. I did this because so many people recommend these over the stock units so I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts - I've never used the stock items!

I ordered a set of 9" props for my P1 some time ago, tried them in January. I'm pretty sure they were 9045. I hesitated long because I couldn't find slotted ones to fit the original motors, but I finally have it a "shot" (took over a month with the delivery) anyway. The set of hub adapter rings were no good for anything, and I just drilled the hub hole larger. "Just drilled" is a short version, as I actually used two or three sizes of metal drill bits (the ones I could find at home), using them manually without the screwdriver and then running them backwards on the driver, to not let them chew into the plastic. I got them balanced, installed and test flight.

I liked the new feel of the P1! I sounded and felt like much bigger bird :) I was driven to try 9" by the need to find ways to improve video stability with the plastic 2D gimbal, Walkera G-2D and SJ4000. Cheap props, didn't lose anything. I have no clear impression that the image became better, or worse. I did lower the pitch and roll gains, which helped a lot to reduce high speed vibration. Later on in my workshop test runs I noticed the props do vibrate. Well, manually drilled hubs. They weren't 100% straight and centered. Considering this and the low price the results were really good. But running off-centered props was not my thing, and the thick hub ate some of the shaft thread needed for the nuts (safety margin!). I didn't gain noticeably more flight time either. I changed back to the cheap plastic slotted 8045, but I will re-introduce 9" size one day! I had so good feeling about them.

The problem is still the same: what to buy for the original motors (shafts)? If I can see correctly, there are no plastic slotted 9" props in eBay. Well, maybe one auction item. Others are either carbon fiber, or non-slotted. I'd rather not try cheap carbon fiber, as I've read so much about their vibrations. And the added fragility. OTOH, I may be on the wrong course altogether when trying to find cheap and goood. I do know it is possible, but I have to search this forum for more specific info on good sources.

I'm also stressed about the shafts and compatibility and adapters... It's ridiculous that the hub or shaft size and type is often overlooked in the item descriptions! Say, I can order a set of four motors with ESCs, but the motor shaft is not mentioned. Crazy. And this is what I basically came here for, to ask how you fit bigger props, have you replaced the motors, are there adapters (sounds I don't want such additional things though) etc. Sorry for the long post, but I'm all in for experimenting on cheap gear rather than saying "why to replace anything, it works like it is". That doesn't really answer the question.

I'm interested in this thread as I bought a P1 used and immediately fitted self-tightening 9" props off a P2 with no problems at all. I did this because so many people recommend these over the stock units so I would be interested to hear peoples thoughts - I've never used the stock items!

I replaced the stock 8" propellers on my P1.1.1 with plastic 9043 self tightening propellers found on e-bay since 18 months and I fly with them without problems. I got an increase of flying time of about 15% against the stock propellers.
I know the 9050(used by Phantom 2) propellers work fine, but I choose 9043 after having seen a video on you tube with a comparaison within various propellers type.

It's ridiculous that the hub or shaft size and type is often overlooked in the item descriptions!
Yes I completely agree with this comment, information is lacking when it comes to buying after-market props for the P1. I have a set of CF 8" props that came with my P1 that utilize the original lock-nuts but they vibrate terribly. I think I must have been lucky with the 9" self-tightening props I got off EBay as they work pretty well but balancing them is something I can't do yet until I invest in something like the Ocday balancer. I must admit I haven't considered altering the pitch/roll gains to reduce vibration and wonder how much effect this will have?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20