7th channel camera tilt not working?

Reaction score
Hey guys, been checking out the forum for a while now since getting my Phantom about a month ago. Great info and resource.
Anyway, I've gotten a Tarot gimbal, and I'm trying to get the manual camera tilt function to work. Can't get it to work for the life of me. The gimbal seems to work OK otherwise.
I've noticed when in Naza Assistant software, when I turn the pot inside the transmitter to adjust the tilt, the indicator in "View" does not move. All the other ones move, such as for throttle, GPS switch, etc. when the sticks are touched. Tried various settings, but nothing for the 7th channel. Gimbal is turned on in advanced setting. One thing I did try was to calibrate the manual tilt channel in Naza. I noticed when I did that the indicator went to zero, or the far left, and never moved as I turned the pot inside the transmitter during the calibration. One thing that did happen, however, was after I did the so-called calibration I noticed that my GoPro, which was attached to the gimbal the whole time I was doing this calibration, was suddenly turned pointed down instead of straight ahead. After I unhooked everything and powered back up, it returned to facing straight ahead thankfully.
Do I have a bad 7th channel? Is there a setting I'm missing? Is it the pot inside the transmitter?
TIA for any help.

I followed this guide to the letter and it worked flawlessly for me

http://www.riot.ch/tarot-t-2d-gimbal-co ... i-phantom/

Also you should have a USB connector for your tarot gimbal that you can plug into your PC to run the software called XYZ Bmoc that you can get on the tarot site. I set my gimbal to a min and max limit of 0 and -90 so the gimbal only tilts at horizontal and vertically down.

Hope this helps

idan_estee said:

Also you should have a USB connector for your tarot gimbal that you can plug into your PC to run the software called XYZ Bmoc that you can get on the tarot site. I set my gimbal to a min and max limit of 0 and -90 so the gimbal only tilts at horizontal and vertically down.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the reply.
I saw that tutorial as well as several others, and used much of the info in it for my initial setup. I have connected the gimbal via USB to the software you mentioned, and set it to the same min/max before my initial post. It just seems the indicator in Naza Assist should move for the 7th channel when the pot is being turned on the transmitter, regardless of if the gimbal is hooked up or not, especially during a calibration. It obviously got a signal during the calibration, since the camera turned down 90 degrees.
If you hook your system up to the Naza software, does your indicator for the 7th channel move when it is activated?

labmansid said:
idan_estee said:

Hope this helps
Thanks for the reply.
I saw that tutorial as well as several others, and used much of the info in it for my initial setup. I have connected the gimbal via USB to the software you mentioned, and set it to the same min/max before my initial post. It just seems the indicator in Naza Assist should move for the 7th channel when the pot is being turned on the transmitter, regardless of if the gimbal is hooked up or not, especially during a calibration. It obviously got a signal during the calibration, since the camera turned down 90 degrees.
If you hook your system up to the Naza software, does your indicator for the 7th channel move when it is activated?
Ive been trying to get a answer for a couple weeks now. My issue is that the X1 moves side to side on the Naza assistant like its on drugs! Followed every thing I was suppose to, had it working for a day and it just went bad.

Dereyes Films said:
labmansid said:
idan_estee said:

Hope this helps
Thanks for the reply.
Ive been trying to get a answer for a couple weeks now. My issue is that the X1 moves side to side on the Naza assistant like its on drugs! Followed every thing I was suppose to, had it working for a day and it just went bad.

If the x1 channel isn't responding to the input correctly, calibrate the channel via the naza assistant, when I first set up my gimbal I didn't have to touch this, however I did need to do it after a mod of some sort (FW update or when I opened the Tx, I can't remember exactly ATM)

I'm still waiting for a tarot gimbal controller board, once I get that I'll try and get some more details on how to hook up the pitch etc

Wouldn't the fact that "had it working for a day" and then (at a later time) "X1 moves side to side on the Naza assistant like its on drugs!" suggest that there was nothing wrong in your initial gimbal installation and calibration? The subsequent erratic x1 movement tends to make me think your suspicion of bad pot (noted in your referenced thread) might be right. Desoldering the pots leads and then just jumping the wires to a new pot (before doing any mounting) would quickly tell if the old pot was the culprit. Digital electronic components fail far less than mechanical components (or software) so chances are good your right about the pot.

Well after researching I have not come up with a quick fix for this. I spoke with a DJI dealer on the phone yesterday, and he presented the possibility that some versions of the transmitter only have six channels active, which is taken care of in the "upgrade" package that is required for the ZenMuse gimbal.
Looking at possibly buying a replacement DJI Tx as a fix, some of the descriptions listed it as a six channel Tx, not seven. So in order to be sure I get the capability of controlling the gimbal tilt, I did something I probably would have done eventually anyway. I went ahead and ordered a Futaba Tx yesterday. Kind of disappointed in DJI, being how my Phantom came minus the aux power cord as well, and I had to solder in my own for the gimbal.

Pilot_FML said:
Wouldn't the fact that "had it working for a day" and then (at a later time) "X1 moves side to side on the Naza assistant like its on drugs!" suggest that there was nothing wrong in your initial gimbal installation and calibration? The subsequent erratic x1 movement tends to make me think your suspicion of bad pot (noted in your referenced thread) might be right. Desoldering the pots leads and then just jumping the wires to a new pot (before doing any mounting) would quickly tell if the old pot was the culprit. Digital electronic components fail far less than mechanical components (or software) so chances are good your right about the pot.
I didnt replace the pot but I did unsolder the wire connected to the pot and the issue remained making me believe its not the pot. Only thing left to do is look for someone selling thier DJI transmitter, bind it and see if it works.

justsomeguy said:
Dereyes Films said:
I didnt replace the pot but I did unsolder the wire connected to the pot and the issue remained making me believe its

There are three wires connected to the pot, cabron.

If you want to fly again it's time to find someone with a clue.
*wires maricon! You know what I meant.

labmansid said:
Hey guys, been checking out the forum for a while now since getting my Phantom about a month ago. Great info and resource.
Anyway, I've gotten a Tarot gimbal, and I'm trying to get the manual camera tilt function to work. Can't get it to work for the life of me. The gimbal seems to work OK otherwise.
I've noticed when in Naza Assistant software, when I turn the pot inside the transmitter to adjust the tilt, the indicator in "View" does not move. All the other ones move, such as for throttle, GPS switch, etc. when the sticks are touched. Tried various settings, but nothing for the 7th channel. Gimbal is turned on in advanced setting. One thing I did try was to calibrate the manual tilt channel in Naza. I noticed when I did that the indicator went to zero, or the far left, and never moved as I turned the pot inside the transmitter during the calibration. One thing that did happen, however, was after I did the so-called calibration I noticed that my GoPro, which was attached to the gimbal the whole time I was doing this calibration, was suddenly turned pointed down instead of straight ahead. After I unhooked everything and powered back up, it returned to facing straight ahead thankfully.
Do I have a bad 7th channel? Is there a setting I'm missing? Is it the pot inside the transmitter?
TIA for any help.

I'm having this same issue. I've calibrated the transmitter and the only time I see any change in value on on x1 is when the transmitter is connected via USB and running the PhantomRC software.

Did you get any confirmation that some of the transmitters are missing the 7th channel? Did you ever get it working or did you just end up getting another transmitter?

I've not read this topic with much care- but don't forget this possibility ............

Attachments

• Tx calibration.jpg
    Tx calibration.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 486
discv said:
I've not read this topic with much care- but don't forget this possibility ............

Thanks, I'll give this a try, this is the first time I've seen this.

cadre_78 said:
discv said:

Thanks, I'll give this a try, this is the first time I've seen this.

That's because I wrote it- not DJI. Well I added the bit about including the X1 channel- that DJI forgot ;)

I went ahead and tried this and everything work went as expected but I still do not have control of the 7th channel.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj