7" android tablet use

Reaction score
I am of a "certain age" that needs glasses to see anything small. When I first got my smart phone to use with my P2+ I was pleased that it worked, but the screen is too small to see without my reading glasses, which suck for seeing the quad in the sky. So I bought a android tablet off of Ebay that came loaded with the vision software. It works but....in the outside light the screen washes out so bad it is useless. I have fashioned a sun shade for it, but it is still too dim to use. I have the brightness turned all the way up, no joy.

Is this just a cheap tablet or do others have this problem? :cry:

it is not you... it is the hardware or tablets. I have a Samsung, Asus, Proscan, Apple and Acer . They all suck in the outside sunlight. It seems the smaller 5" smartphones work better outdoors.

Re: 7" android tablet use

The cheapos are cheap for that reason. You need a full sun shield to use them outside.
This is what I use.

1) NEEWER® 7-8 inch RC FPV Aerial Monitor Carbon Fiber Holder Stand Display Support Folding
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYYX9NS/ref ... 00_TE_item

2) Square Jellyfish Tablet Tripod Mount
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

3) D.I.Y. Full hood sun shield.

You can make the hood a flip-up design so you can access the screen. With the new channel 7 X1 tilt, this need is greatly reduced, though. You can use the box your Phantom came in for materials. it is thin, yet sturdy. Mine folds flat when you take it off.

Attachments

• image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 647
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 662
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 673
  • Image008.jpg
    Image008.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 625
That's my next purchase. the Nexus 7s have great screens. Also, if the tablet does not have GPS, which the cheapos don't, Ground Station will not work.

I have a Nexus 7 and I made a hood out of cardboard. I spray painted the hood flat black and cut a slot in the back so it can slide over my Satechi ST-TP01 tablet mount and that pretty much locks the hood in place. With the brightness turned all the way up - and a clean tablet screen - it does a good job of allowing me to see enough to frame shots. Of course, I still need to position myself so the direct sun doesn't hit the tablet.

Instead of a hood, my next project is to build more of a cardboard tunnel to better block the sun. Like you, my eyes are older and for me I still need my reading glasses even with the 7" tablet.

I can say that the telemetry...i.e...which way the bird is facing doesn't work all that great with the nexus 7. Not sure if it has gps or not...never checked..

Edit: Quick google search says all models have internal GPS...maybe I just need to figure out how to calibrate its compass.

You can get a hood of course, but I find that the whole contraption becomes a bit too bulky. What worked for me is sticking a good anti-glare decal on my Galaxy 10.1 display. It really reduces reflections of the sky and sun and makes it all a lot more visible.

Yes the full hood is a bit bulky when deployed, but it's extremely light, and folds flat when removed.
It harks back to my service years.

They tried everything, but the hood was the only way to guarantee a clear view in any lighting conditions. I designed this so it can immediately be flipped back out of the way if needed.

The "old days"

This would be my ultimate. I bit dear for my pocket right now, though.
Here, they're even using the dji app in their advert.

Attachments

• f-102-01.jpg
    f-102-01.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 551
  • Moverio.jpg
    Moverio.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 539
Wear dark clothing. Also set the font size to its maximum.

Yeah, font is maxed out. Dark t-shirt would help a bit, I guess.

By the way, the other thing you can try, though it has its drawbacks, is activate your cell's triple-tap feature. It's an Android thing and allows for the entire screen to be magnified. You'll lose real estate obviously, but if you absolutely must keep an eye on satellites or battery, then you can focus all the way in on just these. At the expense of the res of the app, but for a quick and dirty solution, it'll do eh.

Is it easy enough to use my I pad Air? Haven't purchased the Phantom 2 Vision+ yet, maybe for Christmas. I currently use Android note 3 as my phone. I'm still flying the Phantom 1.1.1, Go Pro Hero 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4