6000mAh Battery destroyed my Phantom vision

Reaction score
Hi there

I would like today to post my feedback with not original battery I used with my phantom

http://www.onbo-power.com

I would like to warn and advice everyone to never use any other battery that isn't made buy dji (original battery) especially in large distances and you cans depend on this battery in long or hard distances

What made me write this post is that I didn't get a good reply from the seller he only apologized and he didn't do anything else about my phantom being destroyed by there battery, he also said they needed more time to know the reason !!! But the video and the images that I sent it proof the reason was the battery

I bought this battery for 80 dollars and I was told that the battery was checked before they sent it to me from Hong Kong but at the end I lost my phantom plus that costs more than 1200 dollars

After my phantom crashed it had so many problems that it couldn't be fixed
I recommend that no one buys not original batteries from this I also posted a video on YouTube to proof what happened when I used that battery during flying

As I was going back with still more than 74 percent, the battery warning signal in my ipad screen started to blink with still more than 70 percent was left !!!!
After that my bird crashed and it was too far from takeoff point

But I find it by using ( find my phantom 2 vision plus ) option in DJI app

I posted small video in YouTube that proof what happened with me bird

http://youtu.be/M0tKgSsyBiQ

http://youtu.be/M0tKgSsyBiQ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1,623
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,684
Well, I have two ordered and will receive them next week. A seller I am buying it from has sold dozens of them last couple of months. He got no negative feedback from customers. At the same time, he got some returns from customers having problems with DJI battery.

All batteries can fail. Onbo makes batteries only, rc toys etc. Limefuel will probably have the same 6000 mah which is most likely the same parts/cells as all of them are from China.

There always is a risk. I hope I will not have any problems...

Geert said:
Thanks for the warning, sorry to hear about your loss.
The battery warning at 73% is not unusual by a faulty battery, even not with original DJI batteries.
I only use DJI batteries and I had these battery warnings also at various levels, sometimes at 65% and sometimes at 50% but it never resulted in a fatal crash. DJI replaced all my batteries.
I did not see in your video the actually crash. Did it drop out of the sky like a rock, like a complete power loss ?

Geert./.

Thank you for your feedback and your apologise .
It fell out of the sky and crashed on the road from a high altitude , after losing the WIFI signal and power as shown in tye video ,

u agree that this thing also happes with the original battery but only after consuming all the battery power .

But with this battery the error happened from the first try .

But i disagree with you about being something other than the battery that made the bird fall.

If this happened to me in the original battery i can assure you that the dealer in my country will fix the problem ,

but this dealer only apologises to me .
One of the people who knows about these stuff said
They must be calculating the total ah used and assume that it's a 5500 aH battery !.
There should be an firmware input where you select the aH of the battery .
And this happens when the battery becomes too hot durin hard test with long distance

un hombre said:
Well, I have two ordered and will receive them next week. A seller I am buying it from has sold dozens of them last couple of months. He got no negative feedback from customers. At the same time, he got some returns from customers having problems with DJI battery.

All batteries can fail. Onbo makes batteries only, rc toys etc. Limefuel will probably have the same 6000 mah which is most likely the same parts/cells as all of them are from China.

There always is a risk. I hope I will not have any problems...

I hope you will not get into a problem as i did , and i hope you are happy . But stay in mind that if you got into the same accident will he replace the battery and fix the phantom for you , like the dji dealer in all the countries . This type of battery i can confirm that you cannot depend on it in long distances with full throttle
. Good luck

Well one thing I am sure is that I will not fly my Phantom far away on first charge with new battery. Before you can trust the new battery, you should hover and check if the voltage is ok and power delivery reliable.
Sorry to say this, but you should have given it a basic test and full thrust on a low altitude over soft grass or something, not a road or concrete...

I feel bad for you, I would be swearing and very angry if my bird fell because of aftermarket battery...

I wouldn't rely on dji batteries either! The early auto land can kick in with plenty of charge still in the batteries, it may not drop like a stone (although allegedly that can still happen due to the new update) but if you are over trees or water you're still screwed.

I won't be buying dji batteries again but it won't be to save money! At least lime fuel batteries come with a 12m warranty, not sure about onbo's though.

un hombre said:
6 months Onbo

DJI told me to go pound sand when my defectively designed battery crapped out inside of six months...

-slinger

dirkclod said:
Hate ya lost your bird :shock: What did the most damage to it ,the crash or one of those cars run over it that you where flying over :shock: Saved a few dollars on battery and lost a $1000.00 :( Folks use the real deal on these things ! Now that's JMHO

Normally, I would agree with this sentiment. However, DJI batteries suck, plain and simple. Plenty of us have had similar happen with 100% genuine DJI batteries. In my case, it was at 57% that the P2 went into fast emergency descent.

What did DJI do with my battery that was still on warranty? So far, nothing. It's been about 2 months. No response. It is sitting somewhere in their CA facilities.

When it comes to DJI batteries that are prone to failures/puffing/etc (compared to regular lipos), I would rather use something other than DJI.

Do not buy the NukeRC batteries. I bought one and had one good flight out of it and then it refuses to charge.

NukeRC refuses to respond to emails and I could not get my money back from Paypal because it took so long to get it.

I will stick to DJI or Limefuel. At least Limefuel has a warranty and seem to be responsive. DJI refused to replace 2 of my bad batteries because they were outside of 3 months by the time they agreed that they were bad.

badbrad97 said:
Do not buy the NukeRC batteries. I bought one and had one good flight out of it and then it refuses to charge.

NukeRC refuses to respond to emails and I could not get my money back from Paypal because it took so long to get it.

I will stick to DJI or Limefuel. At least Limefuel has a warranty and seem to be responsive. DJI refused to replace 2 of my bad batteries because they were outside of 3 months by the time they agreed that they were bad.

People, all of those batteries rely on cells manufactured by a handful of manufacturers. I would not be surprised if lime fuel, Onbo and nukerc had the same supplier. Any battery can go bad, no point in judging just basing on one faulty item.

I have two onbos after one cycle which I will use over this weekend to do some filming, hope they won't fail me.

It is better if battery fails to charge than fails mid air... :)

un hombre said:
badbrad97 said:

People, all of those batteries rely on cells manufactured by a handful of manufacturers. I would not be surprised if lime fuel, Onbo and nukerc had the same supplier. Any battery can go bad, no point in judging just basing on one faulty item.

I have two onbos after one cycle which I will use over this weekend to do some filming, hope they won't fail me.

It is better if battery fails to charge than fails mid air... :)

I agree that they all can fail. My issue is when I have a battery with only one cycle on it go bad and the dealer refuses to replace or refund. That is when I take my business elsewhere. As far as I have seen no one has ever gotten a replacement from Nuke RC.

I wouldn't have been flying over the road when I seen the battery icon flashing

I had planned on getting a nuke rc battery but not sure now if I should get oem or take a risk with a aftermarket battery

Many people have problems with DJI original batteries also, me included. Most people would not fly 2.5 km away on the first flight, and continue to fly over roads etc. endangering everybody, after the red warning signal goes off. Most people would find a landmark ASAP and land the craft, then go pick it up.

My 50 cents.

DKDarkness said:
Many people have problems with DJI original batteries also, me included. Most people would not fly 2.5 km away on the first flight, and continue to fly over roads etc. endangering everybody, after the red warning signal goes off. Most people would find a landmark ASAP and land the craft, then go pick it up.

My 50 cents.

I am one of those people
I always bring it in when I get a low battery warning I fly mainly via fpv and I wouldn't have flown over the street or that high if the battery icon started flashing and would have brought it back asap

Those props hurt(I know first hand) and having the entire quad land on you from that high would certainly hurt someone

Heck on my first flight with my phantom I never went above 5feet till I got the hang of the controls and how the bird behaved(mostly flew small quads)
I can say I have had two crashes myself (one has cost me a prop and the gimbal mount on the camera)

WessexWyvern said:
I wouldn't rely on dji batteries either! The early auto land can kick in with plenty of charge still in the batteries, it may not drop like a stone (although allegedly that can still happen due to the new update)
Yo WessexWyvern,
Would you please elaborate on that statement?
After the last firmware update, I was doing some flight testing. I wanted to make sure that RTH was still working as it did before. So, from about 300 feet of altitude I flipped the remote control into "fail safe" mode. The Phantom flew over my head as expected and started its descent. At around 50 to 75 feet above ground level it seemed to me to be moving way too fast (downward) so I flipped the remote back into GPS mode and gave it full throttle. That slowed the descent speed a little, but the bottom line is it still hit the ground hard enough to break one of the legs on the landing gear. Fortunately the landing zone happened to be a children's playground with a fairly fresh layer (2 or 3 inches thick) of mulch. Since that incident the weather has been too crappy to do any further testing and I have been too busy with work to do any research here on the Forum.

Any incite on the matter would be appreciated!

With the new update, it is reported that the firmware voltage threshold for autoland has been lowered - however with lipos the rate at which the voltage drops increases as the voltage decreases so once autoland presents itself there is less time for the aircraft to descend safely.

Couple that with decreased descent rates and the fact that people have been reporting that auto land has been kicking in increasingly early in terms of battery percentage displayed you may well find that your motors stop turning before you reach the ground. Personally this situation makes me even more nervous about using my Phantom.

Btw - I also found that by flipping the s1 button I regained control during autoland - in my case there wasn't too much danger of damage to my Phantom at the time but it was over a gorse bush so it meant that I was able to guide it to a position where I was able to catch the aircraft without having to battle through lots of thorns to recover it.

Dear WessexWyvern,
Thanks for the reply and that explanation! So in your opinion, do you think my situation was a result of changed behavior in the latest firmware? Since this scenario has never happened to me pre-v3.08 I'm inclined to say YES. But I also considered the possibility that my oldest battery which was manufactured in February 2014 is prematurely failing after only 43 charge-discharge cycles.

Your (or anyone elses) thoughts on this matter?

I think for anyone to be able to answer that with any degree of certainty they'd need to know how a Phantom behaves when the battery is close to and at exhaustion. Do the motors just stop working abruptly or do they just get increasingly slower? And once the motors have stopped does the phantom fall straight down or does it tumble? (Personally I suspect it tumbles).
IF the motors get increasingly slower, it makes sense to me that it would remain relatively stable butdescend rapidly as per your scenario, howerver the new firmware wouldn't be the direct cause, the battery would need to be faulty for this scenario to transpire. Lowering the voltage threshold just means that you have less time to react when a problem presents itself.

WessexWyvern said:
I think for anyone to be able to answer that with any degree of certainty they'd need to know how a Phantom behaves when the battery is close to and at exhaustion. Do the motors just stop working abruptly or do they just get increasingly slower? And once the motors have stopped does the phantom fall straight down or does it tumble? (Personally I suspect it tumbles).

Per DJI manual, we are supposed to be running down our batteries to 8% every 20-ish flights. I - and many other people - do this by hovering the Phantom right next to the ground. As power runs low, it takes more and more throttle to keep it in the air. You will have the left stick all the way up, but only maintaining hover. And at some point, all motors stop working and it will plunk down to the ground.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj