57w vs 100w charger

D

DrewFlies

Can someone please enlighten me on the difference between the 57 and 100w charger for the P3?

The 57w charger charges the battery in about 1.5 hours. The 100w only takes about 1 hour.

Here's a question for you. If time was money (relative to the cost of each charger), which charger would you buy?

My times are different. I have the 100 watt charger and my testing shows it takes 80 minutes to charge from 20%.

The trade off is also that a slower charge _might_ allow a battery to last longer.

If I were buying one, I'd spend the extra $20 on the 100 watt. However, that price increase is a rip off.

Here's a question for you. If time was money (relative to the cost of each charger), which charger would you buy?

I definitely would and will buy the 100w charger. Nobody has time to wait for that extra 30 minutes lol. I just look at it as if I'm on the road or hotel. I don't want to be sitting around waiting for the batteries to charge. Hence, why I'm buying an extra charger. With 4 P3 batteries I would have to wait 4 hours for complete charge compared to just 2 hours.

My times are different. I have the 100 watt charger and my testing shows it takes 80 minutes to charge from 20%.

Keep in mind that longer charge times usually indicate that more time was spent balancing the cells. The balancing process at the end of the charge is the most time consuming part and it can take longer if the LiPo has less than 10 cycles on it. This is part of the reason for a break in process, which gives the cells less of an opportunity to get out of balance.

My P3P battery took 60 minutes to charge from 20% just now and it has been cycled 12 times. Something else worth noting was that the full capacity was rated at 4570 mAh.

I guess I can wait until my order comes in to find this out, but I'll go ahead and ask, does either charger have a DC input so you can power with a 12v source?

I guess I can wait until my order comes in to find this out, but I'll go ahead and ask, does either charger have a DC input so you can power with a 12v source?
No, but others have used a 12V inverter to charge in the car, see other threads for that.

the big difference between the 57w and 100w charger for the P3 is the 57w one only puts out about 57watts and the 100w one puts out up to about 100watts. :)

the big difference between the 57w and 100w charger for the P3 is the 57w one only puts out about 57watts and the 100w one puts out up to about 100watts. :)

Hmmm interesting observation Holmes....
So an 80watt would output 80watts?
57w or 100w the battery is a smart battery it has a chip firmware and built in protections. These batteries are different from when your Great Grandmother was using them.

Hmmm interesting observation Holmes....
So an 80watt would output 80watts?

lol So you liked my awesome deduction skills on that ah?

These batteries are different from when your Great Grandmother was using them.
yes they sure are. Back in her day they had to chop wood bare foot in the snow and let the steam pressure build up before they could fly there quads. They also had to fly up hill both ways to.

lol So you liked my awesome deduction skills on that ah?

yes they sure are. Back in her day they had to chop wood bare foot in the snow and let the steam pressure build up before they could fly there quads. They also had to fly up hill both ways to.
:)....your smart...:D quick the leaves are turning colors! :eek:

with a 100W charger you can easily charge the controller and one battery simultaneously.. It don't even seem to take any longer for the battery to charge considering it only will take a full 100w right at the beginning of the charge IF the battery is drained down real low. Then as it gets some charge it starts to tapper down on how much it draws.

with a 100W charger you can easily charge the controller and one battery simultaneously.. It don't even seem to take any longer for the battery to charge considering it only will take a full 100w right at the beginning of the charge IF the battery is drained down real low. Then as it gets some charge it starts to tapper down on how much it draws.
It can be done and it may very well be just fine. However, officially DJI does not recommend it.

DJI does not recommend charging both flight and controller batteries at the same time (page 20).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.