56 minute flight on one P3A battery!

Reaction score
And here's the proof!
C91D77AA-5E2C-48F3-932B-45BE3B8EFC3D.png_zps0wpmdjah.jpeg

Did I forget to mention that the props were off, the motors were idling the entire time, and I was walking with it...

I was trying to map out some trails by our house. I only got one battery light to go out, still had three lights left. I left the TX back at the house and just carried the aircraft on the walk. It actually went a lot longer than this, but for some reason, it stopped recording the "flight path" at some point. (The farthest left path)

We have 20 acres of wooded trails and I thought I'd use my new Phantom to try to map them. This is about half of the trails. I'll have to do the rest another day.

I hope nobody saw the weirdo walking around the woods carrying a flashing, whirring, white contraption, this morning. I just wish I would have known that it stopped recording the path, since I kept walking for quite a while. I know at some point, when I was behind a big hill, it must have lost signal since the motors spun up and tried to return home. Once I got to the top of the hill, it must have reacquired the signal and it went back to idle.

Last edited:
By the way... Does anyone know a better way to save this image?

I'm using an iphone 5S and would like the image to be larger. I have an ipad2 and won't work with the RC. If I had an iPad Air I'd be able to save it as a larger, zoomed in image, but I don't.

Anyone have any ideas....?

And here's the proof!
C91D77AA-5E2C-48F3-932B-45BE3B8EFC3D.png_zps0wpmdjah.jpeg

Did I forget to mention that the props were off, the motors were idling the entire time, and I was walking with it...

I was trying to map out some trails by our house. I only got one battery light to go out, still had three lights left. I left the TX back at the house and just carried the aircraft on the walk. It actually went a lot longer than this, but for some reason, it stopped recording the "flight path" at some point. (The farthest left path)

We have 20 acres of wooded trails and I thought I'd use my new Phantom to try to map them. This is about half of the trails. I'll have to do the rest another day.

I hope nobody saw the weirdo walking around the woods carrying a flashing, whirring, white contraption, this morning. I just wish I would have known that it stopped recording the path, since I kept walking for quite a while. I know at some point, when I was behind a big hill, it must have lost signal since the motors spun up and tried to return home. Once I got to the top of the hill, it must have reacquired the signal and it went back to idle.

Next time bring the remote with you and you won't lose signal!

Next time bring the remote with you and you won't lose signal!
I wanted to, but some of the trails are steep, and muddy... and I didn't want to drop one of them.

Next time I think I'll drag one of my kids along to carry one of them.​

For some reason I missed the joy of flying during that run. What did it get you? Going to try it autonomous ?

For some reason I missed the joy of flying during that run. What did it get you? Going to try it autonomous ?
Nothing to do with flying. These are Jeep trails on my property and I just used the Phantom to help me make a map of them.

I think this is an excellent idea and good use of available resources.

If you wanted to do it another way you could use MapMyHike. I use that for fishing to know how far I've traveled and other details about the hike.

Reactions: Scratch
I think this is an excellent idea and good use of available resources.

If you wanted to do it another way you could use MapMyHike. I use that for fishing to know how far I've traveled and other details about the hike.
Is MapMyHike an app I'm assuming?

Reactions: BigAl07
Is MapMyHike an app I'm assuming?
Yes sorry about that. I have it on my iPhone and use it a lot. I start it when I leave my car Fly Fishing then stop it when I get back. I can tell how far I've gone, get a good map of the route I took (should see the one where I got stuck in a field of briars LOL) and get details like how far, how long, avg speed, elevation changes etc.

Thanks!
Yes sorry about that. I have it on my iPhone and use it a lot. I start it when I leave my car Fly Fishing then stop it when I get back. I can tell how far I've gone, get a good map of the route I took (should see the one where I got stuck in a field of briars LOL) and get details like how far, how long, avg speed, elevation changes etc.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Wow... That app is great! Seems even more accurate than using the P3... Wonder if it uses GLONASS...? LOL...

Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers