500m Height Limit Hack / Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have searched but have found nothing that currently works on removing the 500m height limit. There are many situations were this limit is debilitating. I find it more the responsibility of the drone operator than forcing this software enforced limit. But my question is, if there is a way of removing or atleast raising the limit. Litchi has set the limit because of the DJI SDK agreement is my understanding and obviously the DJI App will have this limit. I'd rather not have this turn into a debate on height restrictions and safety, please. I think if your on these forums you have some common sense and play it safe. Flying in very open areas, away from airports, cars, people etc. Please stay on topic.

Thank You.

I have searched but have found nothing that currently works on removing the 500m height limit. There are many situations were this limit is debilitating. I find it more the responsibility of the drone operator than forcing this software enforced limit. But my question is, if there is a way of removing or atleast raising the limit. Litchi has set the limit because of the DJI SDK agreement is my understanding and obviously the DJI App will have this limit. I'd rather not have this turn into a debate on height restrictions and safety, please. I think if your on these forums you have some common sense and play it safe. Flying in very open areas, away from airports, cars, people etc. Please stay on topic.

Thank You.
Holding down the return to home button and maneuvering to greater altitude used to override the limit however this may have been removed because of all of the Irresponsible pilots

Holding down the return to home button and maneuvering to greater altitude used to override the limit however this may have been removed because of all of the Irresponsible pilots

According to others in the forum that bug has been fixed, unfortunately.

Now, clearly articulate to me what you plan on achieving with 500m height restrictions lifted? I'm curious...

Now, clearly articulate to me what you plan on achieving with 500m height restrictions lifted? I'm curious...

& this would achieve what exactly?

OP has stated awareness of reasons of height restrictions..

(not that I agreed / disagrees they're valid)

A very small % of "pilots" actually have a legitimate need to fly at such heights..

DJI have created a product with standard limitations for the "general public", (much like cars - which have limitations higher than legal limits.. but mostly similar in capabilities in a very general comparison)

DJI products will be responsible for a large share of bad news (with the current limitations).. maybe they're controlling the extent of bad news - or damage limitation!

I can think of many reasons to be honest... & human nature is mostly to want more in any case

If you don't like DJI product usage restrictions simply build your own MR.
There are thousands of components available to accomplish this.

This question has been asked a number of times. The answer I am aware of so far is there is no way of removing the altitude restriction. If you must fly higher than that, buy another brand of quadcopter.

Yawn.

We are going to do this all over again.....

These threads get boring when they are posted again and again. Nothing more then a debate on flying above and below the limit. Was interesting the first 20 times it was posted. Not so much any more.

Reactions: BigAl07
This is to be expected with every 'new wave' of Phantom releases or ownership.

It can be frustrating until you realize you don't have to participate.

One solution is to not allow ANY threads which entertain altering, hacking, etc. the Phantom's inherent safety systems or equipment.

Like many, I chat in other forums on different interests and depending on the subject ANY talk of "bypass this" or "disable that" and similar are a No-No and swiftly removed.

It may come to this as a liability issue for the site.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yawn.

We are going to do this all over again.....

These threads get boring when they are posted again and again. Nothing more then a debate on flying above and below the limit. Was interesting the first 20 times it was posted. Not so much any more.
Since people suggested to the OP, that he should look at other Drone manufacturers, if he wants to fly higher than 500m, I would think it is only fair to suggest that you go and participate in other threads. [emoji12]

Having said this, I am a new Phantom 3 Professional owner myself, and I did not realize that there is such a limit.

Before I continue, let me ask your this: It obviously is AGL, but does it change with the terrain, or is it 500m AGL from the home position? Actually, I should say take off position, as the home position can be changed during flight, correct!?

This leads me to the next question: If you cannot fly higher than 500m AGL based on your take off position, can you set a new home position during flight and then fly 500m AGL from the new home position?

Now before some if you "go off" on how irresponsible it is too fly that high, let me ask you this: I take off at the base of a mountain and start ascending along its face. I never go over 100m AGL (from the face of the mountain), and I want to fly to the summit, which happens to be higher than 500m. It sure sounds like that I won't be able to do so, unless, AGL is true AGL, and not Judy from the take off point.

Thanks.

Reactions: Arve Horgheim
All altitude measurements or values are referenced to the barometric pressure at the time and location of take-off.

You can't 'leapfrog' your way up the mountain (without landing).

Before I continue, let me ask your this: It obviously is AGL, but does it change with the terrain, or is it 500m AGL from the home position?
No .. the Phantom has no idea where ground level is except for the home point.
The only height the Phantom knows is Home = zero and everything else is relative to that.

Since people suggested to the OP, that he should look at other Drone manufacturers, if he wants to fly higher than 500m, I would think it is only fair to suggest that you go and participate in other threads. [emoji12]

Having said this, I am a new Phantom 3 Professional owner myself, and I did not realize that there is such a limit.

Before I continue, let me ask your this: It obviously is AGL, but does it change with the terrain, or is it 500m AGL from the home position? Actually, I should say take off position, as the home position can be changed during flight, correct!?

This leads me to the next question: If you cannot fly higher than 500m AGL based on your take off position, can you set a new home position during flight and then fly 500m AGL from the new home position?

Now before some if you "go off" on how irresponsible it is too fly that high, let me ask you this: I take off at the base of a mountain and start ascending along its face. I never go over 100m AGL (from the face of the mountain), and I want to fly to the summit, which happens to be higher than 500m. It sure sounds like that I won't be able to do so, unless, AGL is true AGL, and not Judy from the take off point.

Thanks.

The limit is 500m from your takeoff location. The phantom does not have terrain altitude information, so even if you are for example climbing a mountain and have the phantom follow you, it will not ascend and could result in crashing in the mountain.

The only way, that I know, to get over this, is to have it land and then takeoff from the new position after it resets its new homepoint.

I believe (hope) that it will not be long before we have topographical maps that will allow relative altitude flights. This will provide true follow-me and should avoid getting into the path of commercial airplanes. I can't forsee any valid reason someone requesting to fly above 120m (400ft), once this is implemented.

Do as you will but I would be concerned about the ferocity of the winds over 500 Ft, they could be devastating to a small craft like these. Your Phantom could be in the next county before you know it and unable to overcome the head winds to make a return!

i-5xjjNMd-Th.gif

All altitude measurements or values are referenced to the barometric pressure at the time and location of take-off.

You can't 'leapfrog' your way up the mountain (without landing).

I thought so.

No .. the Phantom has no idea where ground level is except for the home point.
The only height the Phantom knows is Home = zero and everything else is relative to that.

Copy that.

The limit is 500m from your takeoff location. The phantom does not have terrain altitude information, so even if you are for example climbing a mountain and have the phantom follow you, it will not ascend and could result in crashing in the mountain.

The only way, that I know, to get over this, is to have it land and then takeoff from the new position after it resets its new homepoint.

I believe (hope) that it will not be long before we have topographical maps that will allow relative altitude flights. This will provide true follow-me and should avoid getting into the path of commercial airplanes. I can't forsee any valid reason someone requesting to fly above 120m (400ft), once this is implemented.

I hope so as well. Mission Planner for the Pixhawk has something like it. But I believe it only works on airplanes, and is only accurate up to 60m. Anyhow, the technology is there, they should use it.

Do as you will but I would be concerned about the ferocity of the winds over 500 Ft, they could be devastating to a small craft like these. Your Phantom could be in the next county before you know it and unable to overcome the head winds to make a return!

i-5xjjNMd-Th.gif

Could be. But I am not concerned about that as of right now. I just wanted to find out first, if it can be done or not [flying above 500m].

Thanks for the input everyone.

If the altitude limit is set by the barometric pressure at the time of setting home point, you could place the Phantom in a sealed container and pump out a bit of air to simulate a higher altitude, power up, set home point, open the box and then launch.

i-5xjjNMd-Th.gif
Most people (with a couple of annoying exceptions) want to remove the altitude limit because the ground is not flat. I have to contend with 125 foot trees. If there is any slope to the land - which happens with distressing frequency in the mountains - you may no be going very far before you hit altitude limit while remaining just over the treetops - safe from high winds and low flying Cessnas.

The answer will likely be an x-band radar unit in the Phantom which can give you a height over terrain measurement. Small, inexpensive x-band transmitters exist although, in my limited experience, they're somewhat power hungry and don't quite have the range you would like. But that can change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl