5000 mAh Pushing the limit - must see

Reaction score
Been having issues with flight time, when flying far out into ocean to get the money shots. I will def get rid of stock Tx and get a Futaba, but battery time still a major issue. Another thing is, my last 2 attempts at flying dual 2200 mah have been no good, the bird does not like dual for some reason and it feels unstable when doing so.

I just found this video, a must see for all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8x22XvXOb0
Someone claims 21 mins on unloaded phantom and 14 mins on loaded one. Again, do stock motors suffer due to usage of the 5000 mAh or is it ok? I don`t need to fit the battery in, I just use tape as in any other camera rig - it`s for the images. I think I`ll start ordering the 5000 as soon as I hear from the community on its pros and cons. The 5000 weights 489 grams (Turnigy ) and 400 grams ( Zippy ) vs the 2200 mAh standard of 190 grams.... Also there`s the Turnigy nano-tech 3300mah at 263 grams, by Hobby king. anyone used that?

N3300-3S-25(1).jpg

This guy flew a phantom with a 5000 mAh but provided no data other than just footage:
http://youtu.be/hT3xe0YuVjc

rotorhead42 said:
I just found this video, a must see for all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8x22XvXOb0
Someone claims 21 mins on unloaded phantom and 14 mins on loaded one. Again, do stock motors suffer due to usage of the 5000 mAh or is it ok? I don`t need to fit the battery in, I just use tape as in any other camera rig - it`s for the images. I think I`ll start ordering the 5000 as soon as I hear from the community on its pros and cons. The 5000 weights 489 grams (Turnigy ) and 400 grams ( Zippy ) vs the 2200 mAh standard of 190 grams.... Also there`s the Turnigy nano-tech 3300mah at 263 grams, by Hobby king. anyone used that?

Taking the form factor (weight and size) off the table, the important factors of a suitable battery from an electronics viewpoint is the voltage and the available discharge rate. For the Phantom, a 3S and a 25C (or greater) battery will be fine regardless of how many mAh it holds, 2200 or 5000, it makes no difference.

You have to find the "sweet spot" between more mAh and conversely more weight, drag and/or cg issues.

Hi Rotorhead, have you read the threads on the vision props?

I've got them on my v1.1.1 with zenmuse + FPV transmitter and now get 10min+ flights with a 2200mah battery.

Ha! I have three of those batteries. Also got them at HobbyKing. Still waiting for my XT60 connectors so I can charge 'em and use 'em in my Flamewheel F450 and Jumper 600.

The video is pretty neat. Too bad the guy doesn't/won't sell the parts. Who can blame him...what a hassle that would be when the recipients have to do extra work - like figure out how to modify the door he provides to get the hinge pin to work. All he'd be dealing with is complaints. I bet HE knows how many hours of tweaking he had to do to get that vacuum sealed part to work and painted to match. 99% of his customers wouldn't be prepared to do that.

PF

I just ordered the Vision Props, will take a while from China. Again, I want to know if anyone has tried the larger batteries successfully. I think a combination of larger props and bigger battery might yield more. Perhaps even upgraded motors?

I've been using the Zippy 3000mAh 3S 25C batts, at 252g. With one of those and a gopro attached to a anti-vibration mount (no gimbal), I usually get flight times around 10 min, sometimes pushing 12 min depending on flight conditions. I believe the shortest flight I got with one was 9:12.

Note: carrying two of them can put enough strain on your phantom to burn out an ESC or four.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4