500 meter altitude limit

Is there any work around of the 500 meter limit? I hit that limit today and I could have easily gone another 100 meters to get above the mountain I was filming. You can see the video here:

I do not know if it is true or not but I have read that if you configure your RTH height ie 600 meter and while flying at the limit of 500 meter you hit the return to home then P3 will fly to 600 meter. So when you hit 600 meter you cancel the RTH and then you are height limit free !

For filming such as this, it would be useful to have a way to film above 500M. I wish there was a way with the P3, but the only way I know of for now is a P2.

For what it's worth, I haven't even managed to get near 500 meters yet with my P3P - I keep getting weak RC signal flash up when I get to about 300 meters, even if it's almost directly overhead. Nice looking video though, shame there's nothing quite as majestic as that in South East London to film
:)

Reactions: D4T_PoM
I dont know why they imposed this limit. I have the same problem cant fly over some mountains. Airliners fly at 30,000 feet so not much chance of hitting one of those. Obviously if you fly near an airport you could but then if you are that stupid the 500m limit wont protect anyone.

Reactions: desertcat
Is there any work around of the 500 meter limit? I hit that limit today and I could have easily gone another 100 meters to get above the mountain I was filming. You can see the video here:

500 m is from launch location, so if you start higher ....

Reactions: Oso
Video looked good even at that height.

I dont know why they imposed this limit. I have the same problem cant fly over some mountains. Airliners fly at 30,000 feet so not much chance of hitting one of those. Obviously if you fly near an airport you could but then if you are that stupid the 500m limit wont protect anyone.
There's a lot more in the sky than high altitude jet aircraft.

Reactions: JBG
There's a lot more in the sky than high altitude jet aircraft.
Private aircraft at 1000' urban or 500' rural areas for starters.

I thought the 500 m could be turned off which sets it to no limit?
You can disable the distance limit, not the altitude.

For what it's worth, I haven't even managed to get near 500 meters yet with my P3P - I keep getting weak RC signal flash up when I get to about 300 meters, even if it's almost directly overhead. Nice looking video though, shame there's nothing quite as majestic as that in South East London to film
:)
Directly overhead can often be an issue unless you correctly orient your antenna. I try to avoid directly overhead as much as I can.

Reactions: JoBe
Thanks everyone! The RTH work around isn't practical for what I want to do as I'm not trying to get altitude for altitude sake but rather to take nice video over mountains. Home is in the valley below and so it would take me away from what I am trying to shoot. Also battery power is at a premium at that distance and altitude, I can't be returning home to climb and them fly back at 600 meters for my video.

I'm totally fine with the 400 foot limit above the ground from the FAA. I just wish it took into account the fact that the world isn't flat..

I thought about starting higher robinb. But in 100 degree heat, it is nice to be around shade and not have to hike almost a mile in. Also the approach to the mountain was part of what I wanted to capture.

You can change the max altitude in Litchi, although the P3 app is not released yet (in testing).

Third part apps you can set the altitude and distance to your liking. Keep in mind safety. Check out www.flylitchi.com p3 app will be forthcoming i

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav