50 Things I've Learned As A 'Noobie' Drone Pilot!

Reaction score
By Bill Greene
B&G CameraNautics

1. Don't call your Quadrocopter, Phantom, Bird, UAV, or Remote Control
Aircraft, a "Drone" or refer to yourself as a "Drone Pilot".
2. Do not buy a Phantom or Prosumer Quad until you've practiced on an MQX.
3. Don't buy a Phantom or Prosumer Quad until you've taken a Beginner's Pilot Class (See Multicopter Warehouse) and learn the laws, regs, and general rules.
4. Do Firmware Updates after Phantom purchase and with the propellers off.
5. Fly on "Beginner's Mode" for first 40 half hour flights.
6. Always have a Spotter partner.
7. Learn your KILL TOGGLE POSITIONS on the remote controller and practice them, offline.
8. Learn that the higher you fly, the less likely you will make a bad maneuver that crashes into trees, poles, PEOPLE because of wind gusts.
9. Practice draining battery on low level flight, close in, in "Beginner's
Mode" just so you know what will happen.
10. You will likely crash eventually and you will hit your KILL TOGGLES.
11. Don't launch off of your camera case and expect to land successfully back on the case as a Noobie. Launch, Land, Repeat! Launch, Land, Repeat!
12. Don't bother with camera settings or gimbal controls until piloting is
mastered.
13. In fact, take off the camera and gimbal for the first 20 flights.
14. Don't practice in your backyard/frontyard, no matter how tempting.
15. Always fly in an open field, where laws permit.
16. Keep the Quad in front of you, do not fly it over your head and back
behind you.
17. People WILL come up to you and talk to you while you're trying to
concentrate on flying!
18. People WILL stand in your landing area.
19. People WILL stand in your landing area while you're attempting to make a 'low battery' landing.
20. Little kids, some dogs, and drunk people have no fear and will closely
approach your running UAV if it's in range!!
21. Most people are generally nice and supportive.
22. There will always be one 'busy body' asking you if you have "rights,
permission, releases, access, etc.".
23. Know your rights - but be considerate of others.
24. Fly in a calibrated GPS mode until flight 100.
25. Calibrate every new location and check for satellite numbers.
26. Take your keys and phone out of your pocket before calibrating and do not calibrate near metal structures...really...don't do it.
27. Bring in and land Quad at first battery warning.
28. Use Auto Launch but bring it up to ten feet asap, for safety.
29. Time your flights and also pay attention to the battery charge levels on
the monitor.
30. Practice Camera Settings on remote only after becoming comfortable with piloting.
31. Put camera settings in 1080/60 for best results.
32. Remember that the Live Video Feed can lag up to 2 seconds.
33. Learn to trust that the gimbal and camera are capturing beautiful footage and get your head out of the monitor and on the Vehicle.
34. People are far more unpredictible than your vehicle, but be prepared to kill your rotors and eat a crash landing for safety.
35. Unless you have years of conventional professional videography and editing experience, think hard before trying to make a living as a Quad HD
Videographer.
36. The Phantom will eventually show you who's boss...
37. Don't try to emulate other Pilot's awesome camera shots until your basic safety and flights have been mastered.
38. You might get feelings of Vertigo from both your Tablet and also watching the Phantom itself.
39. Keep your eye on the bird up until you're about to hit RECORD, then get your eye back on the bird. Use the force.
40. You will likely often forget to hit "STOP RECORD" before you've landed and turned off your Quad.
41. Don't chase or follow raptors, pelicans, or cranes no matter how tempting as it's illegal and potentially dangerous.
42. Launching it from a lawn, no matter how short, will likely give you a
"Gimbal Motor" warning.
43. Putting the Gimbal clamp back on is one of the hardest parts of this whole adventure.
44. The motor start up and launch is always so cool!
45. Learn the difference between 'Public Domain' and 'Private Property' as per both flight and video recording.
46. It's easy to forget to transfer the day's video footage.
47. It's easy to forget to re-format the video card.
48. Treat the batteries like the power cell in Terminator 3.
49. Online DJI & Phantom Groups are filled with helpful Pilots and great 'How To' YouTube vids!
50. HD/4K Video Footage can be absolutely stunning when shot correctly with a Drone (er, UAV)!

Nice list, though I have a few differences.

#39 - I don't worry about about hitting RECORD. I almost always turn on RECORD before I launch. That way if the launch or the flight goes wonky, there'll be video to help assess why. I tend to record my entire flights.

#28 - I've never flown a P3 so I've never used Auto Launch.

#6 - I often fly without a spotter, but prefer having one if possible.

#1 - I use drone interchangeably with quad, Phantom, or bird. I never refer to myself as a pilot or this hobby as a sport. I don't care if others do.

Another important note, and maybe it's included in #17 - 23: Always act as an ambassador to the hobby. I enjoy engaging with the people who are interested. Obviously safety first, but share your FPV feed if you can. People will give you ideas on new locations to fly.

Also important: Welcome to the forum TVPro2r and thanks for contributing with your very first post!

Last edited:
Reactions: Christy and Jorovi
Great feedback, Clipper! Yeah, my Drone Rep at MultiCopter Warehouse called me out on that and agrees with your comment about "Drone". It was interesting...I learned that one from a lifelong "enthusiast" who said he recently quite using the word "Drone" cuz he was getting scrutiny from some folks. Great comment about being an "Ambassador". Yep!

I see how you threw drone in on #50. Nice one. The "Use/Don't use the Word" debate used to hijack a lot of threads, but I think we're mostly over it now.

I keep thinking of new points to your list. Here's another one:

51. Don't beat the dead horse. Nobody wants to see a 9 minute video of one subject/scene, no matter how stunning the first 8 seconds are.

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
One more important one: Do not panic!

Reactions: Mike Mauk
By Bill Greene
B&G CameraNautics

3. Don't buy a Phantom or Prosumer Quad until you've taken a Beginner's Pilot Class (See Multicopter Warehouse) and learn the laws, regs, and general rules.
7. Learn your KILL TOGGLE POSITIONS on the remote controller and practice them, offline.
8. Learn that the higher you fly, the less likely you will make a bad maneuver that crashes into trees, poles, PEOPLE because of wind gusts.
11. Don't launch off of your camera case and expect to land successfully back on the case as a Noobie. Launch, Land, Repeat! Launch, Land, Repeat!
mastered.
behind you.
concentrate on flying!
19. People WILL stand in your landing area while you're attempting to make a 'low battery' landing.
26. Take your keys and phone out of your pocket before calibrating and do not calibrate near metal structures...really...don't do it.
the monitor.
30. Practice Camera Settings on remote only after becoming comfortable with piloting.
33. Learn to trust that the gimbal and camera are capturing beautiful footage and get your head out of the monitor and on the Vehicle.
34. People are far more unpredictible than your vehicle, but be prepared to kill your rotors and eat a crash landing for safety.
35. Unless you have years of conventional professional videography and editing experience, think hard before trying to make a living as a Quad HD
Videographer.
37. Don't try to emulate other Pilot's awesome camera shots until your basic safety and flights have been mastered.
38. You might get feelings of Vertigo from both your Tablet and also watching the Phantom itself.
39. Keep your eye on the bird up until you're about to hit RECORD, then get your eye back on the bird. Use the force.
40. You will likely often forget to hit "STOP RECORD" before you've landed and turned off your Quad.
41. Don't chase or follow raptors, pelicans, or cranes no matter how tempting as it's illegal and potentially dangerous.
"Gimbal Motor" warning.
43. Putting the Gimbal clamp back on is one of the hardest parts of this whole adventure.
45. Learn the difference between 'Public Domain' and 'Private Property' as per both flight and video recording.
49. Online DJI & Phantom Groups are filled with helpful Pilots and great 'How To' YouTube vids!
50. HD/4K Video Footage can be absolutely stunning when shot correctly with a Drone (er, UAV)!
MY NEXT T-SHIRT.
t-shirt.jpg

Reactions: Christy
By Bill Greene
B&G CameraNautics

mastered.
behind you.
concentrate on flying!
the monitor.
Videographer.
"Gimbal Motor" warning.
51. Always use correct terminology...What the hell is a KILL TOGGLE? Do you mean ESC?:cool:

51. Always use correct terminology...What the hell is a KILL TOGGLE? Do you mean ESC?:cool:
CSC control stick command. AKA kill toggle. LOL

Welcome to the forum Bill, enjoy safe flying!

Reactions: Mike Mauk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers