5 Reds = Dead?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Following on from my weird iOS Vision App issue I've got a new one! If I try to launch the bird in Atti (non-GPS) mode I'm getting 5 red flashes when I do the CSC to start the motors. Any ideas what this is telling me? I don't get any messages on the Vision App to indicate there is a problem, so I'm stumped!

Cheers,
Josh

So you get those 5 red flashes only at the moment you execute CSC, and not later repeatedly?

I would try to do a calibration of your remote controller(RC Assistant).

I'm not sure that is the cause, but it won't hurt to try.

Nathan Carter said:
So you get those 5 red flashes only at the moment you execute CSC, and not later repeatedly?

I would try to do a calibration of your remote controller(RC Assistant).

I'm not sure that is the cause, but it won't hurt to try.

Correct, I get the slow flashing yellow leds to indicate it's in Atti and then when I do the CSC, 5 slow red flashes then it goes back to the slow yellow. No messages or warnings in the Vision app when this happens.

I just did the RC recali but that hasn't help

job2310 said:
Correct, I get the slow flashing yellow leds to indicate it's in Atti and then when I do the CSC, 5 slow red flashes then it goes back to the slow yellow. No messages or warnings in the Vision app when this happens.

I just did the RC recali but that hasn't help

Hmm, that is strange. The only other thing that comes to my mind is temporary low voltage alert(which should normally be constantly flashing red), caused by the motors powering up, but that would then have to be a bad battery. Are you trying this on a fully charged battery? How many discharge cycles did it have? Do you have another battery to try?

Oh yeah and one big thing. I never actually tried powering up in ATTI mode (that is with S1 switch deliberately set to ATTI) so not too sure if it is even maybe a normal signalization for that mode.

Do you get those five red flashes when you are with S1 in the top position(GPS)? In both cases, if you try before 6 sats(while you are still virtually in ATTI) and if you try after?

Nathan Carter said:
Hmm, that is strange. The only other thing that comes to my mind is temporary low voltage alert(which should normally be constantly flashing red), caused by the motors powering up, but that would then have to be a bad battery. Are you trying this on a fully charged battery? How many discharge cycles did it have? Do you have another battery to try?

Yeah have tested with two separate batteries, both less than 20 cycles each. I think I'm getting warmer, playing with it now I believe my GPS module has gone bad. With S1 at the top I still only get non-GPS Atti mode and in the Phantom PC app it doesn't seem to recognise a GPS as being installed. I'm assuming you have to have a functional GPS module to even take off in full Atti mode? Can anyone confirm?

Appreciate your input.

I had a bad GPS module a while back and it does not affect the CSC and starting of the motors. Sounds like you have a bad motor or ESC. If one is bad none will start.

Jstic said:
I had a bad GPS module a while back and it does not affect the CSC and starting of the motors. Sounds like you have a bad motor or ESC. If one is bad none will start.

Interesting, I would have thought a bad motor/ESC would be picked up during the initial self check done when you power up. Also when I had a lose ESC cable previously the Phantom beeped, I get no beep with this. Silly machine is driving me nuts!

Starting up in ATTI mode doesnt act any different than in GPS.

I seldom get 6 sats on teh ground where I fly - and often during power-up and GPS aquisition the app shows zero satellites.

I know the motors wont start if the GPS is disconnected - and the connector that connects the GPS to the main board seems rather slippery - like it would come out easily.

Id find a clear place where and when you know you cna get good satellites, power it up, and let it sit there for a bit and see if you get GPS.

Ive also heard that the ceramic GPS antenna can crack on a hard impact.

Cant remember what the red-blink code is if the GPS is disconnected (like when the top shell is off).

djczing said:
Starting up in ATTI mode doesnt act any different than in GPS.

I seldom get 6 sats on teh ground where I fly - and often during power-up and GPS aquisition the app shows zero satellites.

I know the motors wont start if the GPS is disconnected - and the connector that connects the GPS to the main board seems rather slippery - like it would come out easily.

Id find a clear place where and when you know you cna get good satellites, power it up, and let it sit there for a bit and see if you get GPS.

Ive also heard that the ceramic GPS antenna can crack on a hard impact.

Cant remember what the red-blink code is if the GPS is disconnected (like when the top shell is off).

Thanks for your input, I think you're on to something. I remember having the GPS disconnected another time and I think I got the same 5 slow blinks when I did the CSC. I do think the GPS module has gone bust which would make it think no GPS was attached, so I've got a replacement coming. Will update once that's installed.

job2310 said:
Thanks for your input, I think you're on to something. I remember having the GPS disconnected another time and I think I got the same 5 slow blinks when I did the CSC. I do think the GPS module has gone bust which would make it think no GPS was attached, so I've got a replacement coming. Will update once that's installed.

Did you already open it? Would be a nice test if you could disconnect the GPS completely and see if it behaves the same, with the same lights

Nathan Carter said:
job2310 said:

Did you already open it? Would be a nice test if you could disconnect the GPS completely and see if it behaves the same, with the same lights

Yes I have and yes it does. ;)

I can now confirm that it was the GPS module. Replacement arrived and as soon as it was plugged in everything was back to normal and motors start up as expected.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic