5 mile No Fly around airports- absolute NO fly or graduated by distance?

Reaction score
I'm a little unclear about the No Fly zones. Obviously right by an airport you can't fly.
No problem. But is it absolute for that 5 mile radius of a graduated thing - say 3 or 4 miles out can we fly a limited height- 100'?
I've got family in Michiana Shores, Indiana near Michigan City, Indiana and had hope to fly some off the beach there- but it's within the Michigan City Municipal Airport zone - right at the outer edge of the circle.
Anyone here live near there?

I use that app-Hover- to see where it's cool to fly or not. VERY cool app. Kept me out of trouble so far.

The no-fly zones: http://flysafe.dji.com/no-fly

Yes, the max flight height is gradually increasing with an 15 degree incline outside the zones.
Check this video @1:05 for an explanation.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Still not clear to me. Where does that 20 meter height start with the 15 degree incline? On this video it looks like the 20m bight starts at the OUTSIDE edge of the red 5 mile circle. If that is true, the restrictions are even tighter than I thought.

Still not clear to me. Where does that 20 meter height start with the 15 degree incline? On this video it looks like the 20m bight starts at the OUTSIDE edge of the red 5 mile circle. If that is true, the restrictions are even tighter than I thought.
The circle is only covering the airport. The inclining max height outside that circle, I guess, is because air crafts don't start and land vertically above the airport... ;)

Anyway, I looked at the area you mentioned, and the airports and no-fly zones are far away as far as I can see. (Michiana Shores, Indiana near Michigan City)
So there should be no problems flying, not because of a no-fly zone anyway:
VJ23Cvf.png

That app I have - Hover- doesn't just put a circle on the airport itself- but shows the whole No Fly radius.
And there's a Municipal Airport right in Michigan City, and a larger one in LaPorte that your maps don't see. You need something better to judge by or you're going to get in some difficulty.
Look at this. You'll see the circles cover a large (5mi) radius

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Yes the high density of airfields does limit flying where there is an absulute radius as we have in Australia... no graduated height at all so 5 km from any little airfield.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about DJI's no-fly zones.

The Swedish no-fly zones can be any shape, and they too do not have a graduated inclination of any sort. Everything from ground up is no-fly. Outside the no-fly zones, the max height is 120 meters / 394 feet.

I'm a little unclear about the No Fly zones. Obviously right by an airport you can't fly.
No problem. But is it absolute for that 5 mile radius of a graduated thing - say 3 or 4 miles out can we fly a limited height- 100'?
I've got family in Michiana Shores, Indiana near Michigan City, Indiana and had hope to fly some off the beach there- but it's within the Michigan City Municipal Airport zone - right at the outer edge of the circle.

I use that app-Hover- to see where it's cool to fly or not. VERY cool app. Kept me out of trouble so far.
FYI The DJI airport database is extremely incomplete. There are 3 airports very close to my home not listed. Best to review the aeronautical sectional chart for your area.

Always defensive.....that must be the cop in you ;) Those charts look like gibberish to me.....guess I'm not intelligent enough.....its funny though, I understand quantum theory :rolleyes:

But thanks for being helpful :)

Always defensive.....that must be the cop in you ;) Those charts look like gibberish to me.....guess I'm not intelligent enough.....its funny though, I understand quantum theory :rolleyes:

But thanks for being helpful :)
You start with the snarky remark but don't like it when you get it back.:p
A better reply would have been" How do you read a sectional" or even better yet...don't reply- my response was to the OP, not you.

Just curious, does the sectional tell me how high I can fly and a given distance from a specific airport? I think that was the OP's question.....unless I misunderstood.

Just curious, does the sectional tell me how high I can fly and a given distance from a specific airport? I think that was the OP's question.....unless I misunderstood.
And you know quantum theory???
roflmao2.gif

My understanding about the reg is: 5 miles from an International airport, and one mile from any other airport if they have a tower. If no tower, no restrictions. It seems that this changes almost weekly.

Good ol' Michigan City. Don't miss it much, but I bet there are plenty of places to fly nearby. New Buffalo across the state line is probably a great spot as well.

Last edited:
My understanding about the reg is: 5 miles from an International airport, and one mile from any other airport if they have a tower. If no tower, no restrictions. It seems that this changes almost weekly.
In the US is 5 miles radius from all airports, public or private, controlled (tower) or uncontrolled.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers