5.8Gz transmission

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and to quadcopter flying. I am waiting for my Phantom to arrive.
I would like to know how the 5.8Gz transmission works around objects. I understand that when the Phantom goes out of the line of site, you loose the video signal, but do you also loose the ability to control the copter?

All wavelenghs travel in straight lines, not around objects. The phantom P2 uses 2.4 for control 5.8 for FPV if installed. The P2V series is the other way round. Neither in reality is good at going through objects even trees. With these aircraft with safety in mind for you, others and property it is advisable to stay within line of sight (LOS) even with FPV. Some might think me a spoil sport on this but you can do a lot of damage with one of these, including to your pocket, your pride and to the hobby as a whole. In some countries like the UK it is even illegal to fly out of LOS even with FPV.

Have fun...safely :)

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Thank you Irishshights. My concern is that if I go behind an object, will I loose control of the copter, or could I ascend higher to regain direct line view?

If you lose control the phantom goes in RTH.
And yes you have to keep LOS because the control will be broken and when you don't have control anymore the you don't have control anymore period.
So how are you going to ascend if you don't have any control ?

jrod1944 said:
Thank you Irishshights. My concern is that if I go behind an object, will I loose control of the copter, or could I ascend higher to regain direct line view?
Just never lose LOS in the first place. Its actually extremely dangerous to do so, for your aircraft, property, people and your pocket! These craft can do some serious damage when not under your control. I suggest that before you fly you look up and research all you can on good flying practice, the laws governing flying in your country, if any, and put yourself through some self initiated flight school. Its good to ask these questions but google and Youtube are your friends. In fact Google site search on this forum is your very good friend. The builtin search is not so good.

Some people call Phantoms, toys, IMO they are not, as that implies you just pick it up and play with it. If I had it to do over again I would follow my own hindsight advice. You can still have fun, just from an informed position!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Thanks to all of you for the info. I started with a small quadcopter and have a good idea of flying. I have seen every available video on Youtube. I have read the manual on line and quickstart ets. I beleave I'm ready. I just have to get my hands on it.

Jrod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4