5.8ghz antenna for RC

Reaction score
Looking to increase range of RC.

Thinking of getting a 5 or 8dbi antenna..
Can someone please confirm the connector I will need on the pigtail to connect it to the RC board?

Is it Sma?? Or something else??

thanks

justin00 said:
Thanks...
so is this the right part ??? U.FL / IPX to RP SMA pigtail patch cable
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-U-FL-IPX-t ... 19cc64492e

Yes , that is the right part

What does the IPX part mean ?

IPX just means Internet Packet Exchange... (what the cable is primarily used for)

Do you think 4" or 6" is the right amount ??

Definetely the 6 inch... 4 wouldn't even reach

*edit* Also I've read a 2.4ghz antenna will work on 5.8ghz... Is that true ??

It "works" ... but there is a certain amount of loss because there's compromise going on there

Having trouble finding 5.8ghz antennas... will this work Alrite ?? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM0 ... UTF8&psc=1
specifically.. will it work better than an omni ?

That's great antenna ... way better than an omni... just remember to keep the Phantom out in front of where you are pointing it :ugeek:

found a 'boscom' version of the same thing... picture looks the same as that link you provided.. boscm seems to be a brand I've seen alot if items from... pls the guys is 15 mins down the road from me and it costs like $8AUD...

Bought it and the pigtail in my first link, thanks again:)

Last question
How far do you think this will go compared to the stock antenna ?

Wish I could give you +1000 feedback on this forum.. but not scoring I see :(

thanks again mate :p

Oh yeah.. would what would be a good antenna to install in the phantom to help further with the RC range... forgeting about FPV for a bit ?
and any youtibr vidos on howto install it ? had a look but most seem to be abot FPV :(
or is it possible to instsll an antenna in Phntom that will help with both RC and RPV ?

i'm familair with stage 2 kit.. but don't believe that helps with RC range does it ??

justin00 said:
Oh yeah.. would what would be a good antenna to install in the phantom to help further with the RC range... forgeting about FPV for a bit ?
and any youtibr vidos on howto install it ? had a look but most seem to be abot FPV :(
or is it possible to instsll an antenna in Phntom that will help with both RC and RPV ?

i'm familair with stage 2 kit.. but don't believe that helps with RC range does it ??

bro go to fpvtests channel on u youtube their horizon fpv has done all mods, secondly my a dice would be rc range can be modded with a lot of products but don't forget no matter how far u take ur rc with out fpv their is no use when u don't focus on fpv how would u no where ur phantom is?

Yeah that is definetly a good point...
Its not for long range flights, just sometimes the stock RC runs out before stock FPV... So this is just to fix that.
I shall get the 'stage 2' kit at some point soon, and focus on the FPV as well.

Thanks for info re: youtube channel.

saao said:
justin00 said:

bro go to fpvtests channel on u youtube their horizon fpv has done all mods, secondly my a dice would be rc range can be modded with a lot of products but don't forget no matter how far u take ur rc with out fpv their is no use when u don't focus on fpv how would u no where ur phantom is?

Should be getting my pigtail and RC antenna in the next day or two (hopefully get Phantom back from hobby shop soon too.. so I can start the mod lol)

Anyways.. to connect the pigtail to the the RC controller board, would a hot glue gun be ok or could it cause damage ? Its only hot for a few second... but don't want to rsk anytyhing so figured I'd ask the Pro's :) ?

*edit* BTW the antenna I got http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM0 ... UTF8&psc=1 mentions 5.8 and 2.4ghz... that just means it will support both right ?

Can you interchange 2.4 and 5.8 antenna's anyways... There are no electronics in them (right?) so I don't understand the diff ??

thanks

Got the antenna and pigtail finally.

antenna has the connector and a leg that moves in an L shape.. so either straight or L depending on how u want to mount.

If u connect it to pigtail/controller and have it on the L shape the panel with the writing saying 2.4 or 5.8 would be displayed upwards..

If i use the straight leg (and not the bend/L)the panel would be pointed forwards infront of me.

It makes sense to use it in the L shape but how do i confirm the side facing the sky us the right side heh?
Assuming it would work better facing the sky that facing forwards... but thats hoping it is the correct side facing the sky..

Hopefully you folks get what I mean about the connector on antenna either straight or L shaped.. You can see the L shape in picture in bend above.

Exactly how should I mount this..in which direction. I think amazon link above talks about 45degree field

Thanks

Oh.. looks like it turns 360degree..

Anyways can someone confirm in side with writing or other side should be facing the sky??

Surely some smart person can confirm the angle/position how to mount it :) ??

If you have the same panel as the pics below, the writing would face towards you and the ridged part would face towards the Phantom.

Attachments

• IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2453.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_2454.JPG
    IMG_2454.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 622
Cool thanks.

Ended up doing it the way you had in the pictures anyways but good to have confirmation.

Havent done any distance tests to see if range is improved (investigating sum wierd behavioir..not related to R/C but all seems good... think its just paranoia) so I shall get around to doing that tomorrow.

Hardest bit was mounting pigtail securely. I cheated and used glue. Just a tiny bit so it doesnt look a mess but holds fine. Tried having the gap and just inbetween 2 side but wasnt strong enough.. Seems like the best way(and common in lotsa vids) is to use a dremel. I just didnt want to do anything permanant, just yet. Spose pigtail will be there regardless of antenma..if not stock obviously.

Btw what is that 3rd switch for on your controller? The thing inbetween your 2 toggle switches?

So I got my little patch antenna..

Sometimes can get to 700ft altitude (never tried to go highter) without issues... other times I get to around 300ft and I get control signal lost errors.... ??
I've got the antenna horizontal... so like the square part (the antenna) is pointing upwards.. kind of hard to explain, but basically have it how allemtura posted pics just above.

Not sure why i get the error sometimes ?

I've got a LHCP antenna on the way, so perhaps that will give me more consistent results..

Got this new 16db LHCP antenna... was only like $25AUD or so... anyways its working quite well.. I can now get further then with the panel antenna... to scared to do full range tests but at about 1200 ft way the Wifi/video was going abit fuzzy but controls were perfect now !!! =) Previously the controls would die first... so this is great for not much money..

Very happy with it now..

Tis this

and on ebay if anyone is interested

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251655837662 ... 1497.l2649

Curious to hear peoples comments about it ???

One other thing actually... its got a female bit on it... but it doesnt have the screwy bit you lock it with... but it comes with an adaptor which connects to it.. and then the other end of the adaptor it has the proper female rp-sma which has the screwy bit so I can connect it into my controller male connector.... If you ll get what I mean about adaptor ?? Anyways would I loose any db if I am using the connector ???

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj