5.8 bird antenna install

2XD

Reaction score
I have been able to do everything for the KIT 4
Except the bird side 5.8 board.
I don't see how I'm able to remove this board to put the new pigtails on.

There is two screws holding this board down.
I'm able to get the to front screw by pushing the main board a little over.
BUT the second screw is too far back to reach it.
There isnt enough play by pushing the board.

How are you guys doing this.
And why are there tons of videos from the pilot side but nothing for bird side.

Attachments

• 2014-09-23 08.50.44.jpg
    2014-09-23 08.50.44.jpg
    944.6 KB · Views: 816
Figured it out . There is a smaller board covering the two screws. You need to remove the two screws infront .. then u can lift the small board to get access to the two screws holding down the 5.8 board.

2XD said:
Figured it out . There is a smaller board covering the two screws. You need to remove the two screws infront .. then u can lift the small board to get access to the two screws holding down the 5.8 board.

Its a complicated procedure to remove the black epoxy from the connectors end. You need to go slow! I removed the first side but then messed up the other connector. I had to order a new 5.8 TRX board. It will fly with only one antenna connected but your distance will be compromised.

Cheers,

Charlie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 747
Charlieb said:
2XD said:

Its a complicated procedure to remove the black epoxy from the connectors end. You need to go slow! I removed the first side but then messed up the other connector. I had to order a new 5.8 TRX board. It will fly with only one antenna connected but your distance will be compromised.

Cheers,

Charlie
Where did you get your 5.8 GHz receiver card?

You can find them on ebay. They are $29 with the antenna's still attached, or $79 without...go figure. A $50 charge to sell you a receiver without the antenna.

That extra money is for the tedious task of carefully removing those antennae without destroying the connectors. It's not as easy as you'd think.

It took me about 45 minutes to remove the black goo from mine. My point is, why can't they sell them without the antennas ever being glued on in the first place? They have to be connected...so why not just skip that step. Clearly there is a demand for them.

tmc6663 said:
It took me about 45 minutes to remove the black goo from mine. My point is, why can't they sell them without the antennas ever being glued on in the first place? They have to be connected...so why not just skip that step. Clearly there is a demand for them.
If DJI sold replacement antenna boards without the cables, I'd have bought it just to save the hassle of removing the black glue! Maybe that should be a question for Simon Newton's next DJI Q&A session... :)

I think before asking that question, the more pertinent one might be who asked DJI to put that glue on there in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if someone (maybe even government entity) suggested/directed having that glue there.

slothead said:
Charlieb said:
2XD said:

Cheers,

Charlie
Where did you get your 5.8 GHz receiver card?

I bought it from eBay. I just don't have the time to wait an run the risk of messing up again. And I think they place the epoxy over the connector to prevent it coming undone during flights due to vibrations.

Cheers

Charlie

Where abouts is the R/C antenna (5.8ghz ) ??

thnks :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie