4K Video Playback Stuttering

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with 4K video playback from my Phantom 4 on my Mac Pro (system details listed below). Video playback in quicktime and FCP X stutters quite a bit. Files are transfered to my solid state drive. Any thoughts? Funny thing is, 4K video shot on my iPhone 6s Plus plays back perfectly. Thanks in advance for any help!

Mac Pro 5,1
2 x 2.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
12 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770
Solid State Drive

Change your settings (in DJI Go) to save the video as mp4 instead of mov. I believe the iphone saves video as mp4 which would explain why that works.

You shouldn't have any issues. I shoot a lot of 4K video and playback is smooth in any format on my 2015 MBP with 16gb of ram and 1TB SSD

I was told that DJI Phantom 4K videos in MOV wrapper encoded with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 seems to be not compatible with Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer. The file type is a compressed format and not ideal for editing. Plus, the old version of Final Cut Pro like FCP 6/7, Adobe Premiere like Premiere Pro CS4/CS5/CS6, Avid Media Composer like Avid MC 4/5/6/7 can't support 4K video. An ultimate solution I found would be to transcode/compress DJI Phantom 4K files for FCP, Premiere, Avid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20