4K versus 1080

Reaction score
I know very little about cameras and was hoping for a wee bit of help.

The Professional version shoots 4K at 24 fps.

The Advanced version shoots 1080 at 60fps.

I understand that shooting at 60 fps means that the final output is slow motion with a resolution level of 1080.

Since I only see the Professional version indicating 24 fps, does this mean that the Professional version is incapable of capturing footage at 60 fps like the Advanced?

Or does it allow you capture at a 60fps rate as well, yet the final output drops to approximately 2K?

Please forgive my ignorance, and thanks in advance for any help offered.

The Pro version is capable of 60fps at 1080. It's just at 4k that it drops to 24:

Phantom 3 Professional
  • UHD: 4096x2160p 24/25, 3840x2160p 24/25/30
  • FHD: 1920x1080p 24/25/30/48/50/60
  • HD: 1280x720p 24/25/30/48/50/60

I understand that shooting at 60 fps means that the final output is slow motion with a resolution level of 1080.
No ...The cameras are identical but the Pro model has one additional resolution for video.
Video Recording Modes
Phantom 3 Professional
  • UHD: 4096x2160p 24/25, 3840x2160p 24/25/30
Phantom 3 Advanced
Shooting at 60 fps (frames/second) doesn't give you slow motion.
But 60 fps can be slowed down on playback to give slow motion while keeping a smooth video.

Shooting at 60 fps (frames/second) doesn't give you slow motion.
But 60 fps can be slowed down on playback to give slow motion while keeping a smooth video.

Lets clarify your statement regarding slow motion. In order to have slow motion from 60fps you have to divide the frame rate in half (30fps) in post or even slower using time stretching.

The comparison link above was helpful.

What is the benefit of 4k video is you don't have a 4k TV? Is it that much better on computer monitor? I am starting to wonder if I need 4k

Higher resolution means more raw digital data. If you're never going beyond the computer screen it may not be necessary as most monitors won't keep up. That being said if you plan for larger displays or editing the more information you have the better. This also allows for higher color saturation and fine detail. Again the general populace won't differentiate between them well unless they're side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JayB
Isn't it true you can get a better 1080p image shooting in 4k and downscaling in post production?

Any time you compress a higher resolution you will get better results. In the world of digital imaging the CMOS / CCD chips capture the data. Most photo cameras capture the image in a very large scale. For example an image in a Nikon captures at 72 pixels per inch, not dots per inch, but the image size can be as high as 47 inches wide or higher. At 72 ppi that's a lot of pixels. When you print the photo at 8" x 10" the data available to compress those pixels is enormous. The result is a very high resolution image with great colors and lighting. The same applies to video, since video is nothing more than a ton of still images together which is why frames per second (pictures per second) is important to a fluid shot. So when you compare 4K to 1080p consider pictures you take with a $100 digital camera. If you're only going to print photos 8" x 10" do you really need the bigger camera that shoots images at 47" wide? Or are you good with the smaller investment? At that size you may not notice much of a difference not will others. If you plan to make the photos poster size you may have to get a better camera.

I know this is more than what you were asking but I hope it explains to the OP a little more about the differences.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Thanks. This is all very helpful. I have been worried about the delicate gimbal and the need to replace the whole camera if it crashes...maybe buying the advanced that has the same still picture res and one less video res is a good hedge against having to pay so much in a crash.

since video is nothing more than a ton of still images together which is why frames per second (pictures per second) is important to a fluid shot.

Which is why I have gone for the P3A, as 1080p 60fps will result in more fluid/smoother shots compared to 4K 30fps.

Also the differance between 4k and HD is not as dramatic as HD and SD, unless you are sat really close or watching it on a huge screen. When I was researching 4k TV's it became apparent that if I was sitting 10ft from my TV it would have to be larger than 80" across to actually notice any difference.

Technically 4k will definitely give you a better picture, but are those benefits going to be worth having to store and process 4 times the amount of data. As an ameature who most of what I do will be viewed on a PC screen, with the best bits maybe making it to the 50" TV to bore the family, the answer is a no.

I agree with JayB...I by default record 720 60fps on my p2V+....smaller file size, better slow mo (although very rarely use it), and I really haven't noticed a difference between it and 1080 even on a 42" screen. Stills are the same quality between the advanced and the pro so for me it was a pretty easy call. I ordered the advanced.

Technically 4k will definitely give you a better picture, but are those benefits going to be worth having to store and process 4 times the amount of data. As an ameature who most of what I do will be viewed on a PC screen, with the best bits maybe making it to the 50" TV to bore the family, the answer is a no.

Why 4x the amount of data?
Do you have a table with the bitrates at the various resolutions/fps for the Phantom3 Professional and non Professional camera?
For the GoPro4 black you can check it here.
http://gopro.com/support/articles/hero4-black-recording-time-in-each-video-setting
For Non Protune mode -
60Mbps for 4k @ 30fps = 7.5 Megabyte per second
30Mbs for 1080 @ 60fps = 3.75 Megabyte per second
30Mbs for 1080 @ 30fps = 3.75 Megabyte per second

So thats 2x the amount of data for a GoPro camera in non protune mode.
Does anyone know whether P3 has an equivalent protune mode?

I usually film using 2.7k@60fps with the Gopro4 on the Phantom 2 and then do the final editing at 1080 @ 60fps.
Its a great mode as in post processing you can pan and "zoom" to frame the subject better if required. You can also crop parts of the footage if things like props come up.
It just gives you that additional flexibility without losing too much image quality.
I would film in 4k if 60fps were an available mode and compression not too high.
The additional frame rate not only allows you to slow down the footage but its also much smoother especially if you have some rapid camera yaw/pitch movements.

And if you use a video player like Media Player Classic (Windows) you can zoom in, pan and or slowdown in real time 4k or 2.7k footage while its playing on a 1080 screen (provided you have a good desktop computer).

4k at 30fps is not really useful to me due the the slow fame rate and at 1080 you lose that additional flexibility.
I wonder why the P3 doesn't have a 2.7k mode at 60fps?
That's whats stopping me from per-ordering one today.

Isn't it true you can get a better 1080p image shooting in 4k and downscaling in post production?

I'm wondering of this is true because both models have the same camera with the same resolution.
Has DJI already done the downsampling for you. In that case the difference will not be that big, apart from the fact that downsampling with a good computerprogram can give better results.

Which is why I have gone for the P3A, as 1080p 60fps will result in more fluid/smoother shots compared to 4K 30fps.

Also the differance between 4k and HD is not as dramatic as HD and SD, unless you are sat really close or watching it on a huge screen. When I was researching 4k TV's it became apparent that if I was sitting 10ft from my TV it would have to be larger than 80" across to actually notice any difference.

It's simple. the advantage of 4k is really strictly for editing in post. Why not have the ability to crop the frame and still end up with a final 1080p resolution? If you don't need to crop it then just export it out at 1080p. If you have no intention of editing at all shoot it in 1080p 60 fps and be done. Yes the 60 fps is useful for fast motion shots and sometimes you have to shoot in 60 fps depending on what you're shooting. I always shoot 4k 30 fps unless I need the higher frame rate.

Reactions: desleezc and eracer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers