4k v 1080p

Reaction score
My computer just isn't fit for handling 4k at any fps. What is the best alternative resolution to this? I'm just a hobbyist flyer. I'm Guessing it will be 1080p? Is the 1080p on the P4P better than the P4 and the P3 series, (used to have a P3A) I'm usuing Premiere Pro at the minute.

Thanks

1080p is what most people will be watching at (30fps in the U.S., 25fps in most of Europe), so that would be my vote.

But if you've spent the money on something as nice as the P4P and its awesome camera, my second recommendation would be to upgrade your computer ASAP to take advantage of the 4K capability. You can get a very capable laptop for under $500, assuming we're talking PC.

What are the specs of your computer? Even upgrading your RAM might help.

Are you on Windows?
I had also problems but it wasn't the PC but missing graphic power. I only had on-board Intel Graphics.
Purchasing a good graphic card solved it.
I found this site actually helpful to figure out the systems limits. Anything in 4K and HEVC I couldn't view before I made changes:
Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files

My computer is pretty new but pretty basic I think. Its a Lenovo Ideacentre All in one. 2TB HDD 8gb RAM. Yea windows 10 I'm running.

It doesn't look like you will be able to upgrade your computer without completely replacing it. I guess you will have to find the best resolution that your computer will handle.

I just started working with 4K video and I found that I had to upgrade my video card and the amount of ram in my system. Fortunately I had built my system with upgrades in mind and I already had a skylake i7 processor.

The 1080 is really good. I started shooting in 1080 because my phone can handle the videos better.

What about 2.7k? I shoot everything in 2.7k because I'm down-rendering to 1080p anyway. Shooting at over 1080p if you can still gives a better final render in 1080p.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
When you say "handling 4K" is for PLAYBACK or EDITING?
If it's for editing, you can try a workflow using proxies in Premiere. The software creates a exact copy of your 4K content but in low resolution, and you can edit with these previews without any problem. When you need to export your work, Premiere will use the real content (in 4K) and this way can let you editing without problems.

Here is a tutorial:

But if your problem it's play 4K content too, sorry but there's no upgrade available for your AIO to solve this problem. It's a pity but you need another machine that can handle this type of content...

Exactly Doctorobani! If it's just editing software giving you fits. Then you def should try learning how to use Proxy files for your editing. It's really quite simple if you just watch a couple of Youtube video's on it.

My computer just isn't fit for handling 4k at any fps. What is the best alternative resolution to this? I'm just a hobbyist flyer. I'm Guessing it will be 1080p? Is the 1080p on the P4P better than the P4 and the P3 series, (used to have a P3A) I'm usuing Premiere Pro at the minute.

Thanks
HI Yip I do all off Samsung tablet,,no computers here so 1080 at 30/fps work good for me:)

Mr Salty can you reccomend 4k laptops under £500? im open to the option of looking at getting one.

Thanks
You can try using VLC media player on that PC. That works better than others when using lower end computers. You don't say what CPU is in your computer, and it likely has the standard Intel graphics. Also, if you have an SSD instead of HDD, that will help a little, as well as more DRAM helps with video playback.

In the big picture, if you don't have a 4K TV, and don't have a d 4K screen on your computer, it's a waste to time and SD card space to record in 4K at this time. Down the road that may change.

For now, if all you have is 1080 TV and 1080 computer screen, simply record in 1080. If you're really into editing, and cropping video, 2.7K is an option, but I never use that. I feel it's a waste of SD card space and instead of 9min of video per file you get more like 5min of video per file (correct me if I'm wrong). I already get 3 files per flight using 1080, I really don't want more to deal with during the post edit, but that's just me, I like simplicity. For me 1080 is the sweet spot, clear enough to wow friends and customers, small enough for easy editing. Rarely do I have a customer need 4K for their purposes.

When I get a 4K TV, that's when I'll get a better computer with 4K display and GPU card. Maybe next year. FYI, the new CrystalSky display will be a portable video player too. You can detach it since it's got it's own battery. It's touted to play the unedited SD card 4K video through HDMI out, straight to your TV. If that's true, and it works well, I think a lot of DJI pilots are going to buy 4K TVs very soon.... :D

Very imformative post John. i have neither a 4k tv or computer so ill stick with 1080p. on that note what do you recommend frame wise? ive seen people discuss slow motion 1080p 100fps?? is that right? im not interested in slow motion so is it just best to stick to 60fps?

I shoot 1080@ 60fps as my standard setup in case I want to slow down a clip in post.
But 4K isn't only to view in 4K devices. I use 4K to record but always doing a downsample to 1080P when I need to deliver the work after editing. To me, image quality is a must and I like to have the best quality possible.

Pros:
1) Much more detail in the final video thanks to downsampling.
2) Huge capability to crop and compose the scene properly if they have any error.
3) Enough headroom resolution to fix a possible crooked horizon (if you have any frame with this issue) without penalty on the image quality.
4) More resolution to make better transitions including zoom, pan, and other techniques without affecting image quality.

Cons:
1) More space (resolved with a couple of MicroSD cards)
2) You need a more powerful PC to edit (resolved using proxies in Premiere)

In other words, record in 4K is an investment to get the best quality for your 1080P final video... and worth it!

Reactions: John Locke and Loz
But 4K isn't only to view in 4K devices. I use 4K to record but always doing a downsample to 1080P when I need to deliver the work after editing. To me, image quality is a must and I like to have the best quality possible.

Pros:
1) Much more detail in the final video thanks to downsampling.
2) Huge capability to crop and compose the scene properly if they have any error.
3) Enough headroom resolution to fix a possible crooked horizon (if you have any frame with this issue) without penalty on the image quality.
4) More resolution to make better transitions including zoom, pan, and other techniques without affecting image quality.

Cons:
1) More space (resolved with a couple of MicroSD cards)
2) You need a more powerful PC to edit (resolved using proxies in Premiere)

In other words, record in 4K is an investment to get the best quality for your 1080P final video... and worth it!
I agree, except the "and worth it" part. This really depends on the pilot's situation, and passion. It's a huge investment (time and money) to take advantage of the 4K capability, but if the pilot has already got a 4K TV, and a computer adequate to edit 4K, with a 4K screen, not to mention the extra terabytes of disk storage to keep the video (4X the norm), then it's worth learning the editing options to get all the benefits you point out to take advantage of the marginal added quality and flexibility. Most hobbiests don't need it, but some may want to pursue using 4K as their pursuit to excellence evolves. Some will have a hard time justifying the ROI. It just depends on the passion of the pilot. Me personally, I don't shoot 4K unless the customer has to have it, and that's rare. The time saved in editing lets me fly more.

Last edited:
I agree, except the "and worth it" part. This really depends on the pilot's situation, and passion. It's a huge investment (time and money) to take advantage of the 4K capability, but if the pilot has already got a 4K TV, and a computer adequate to edit 4K, with a 4K screen, not to mention the extra terabytes of disk storage to keep the video (4X the norm), then it's worth learning the editing options to get all the benefits you point out to take advantage of the marginal added quality and flexibility. Most hobbiests don't need it, but some may want to pursue using 4K as their pursuit to excellence evolves. Some will have a hard time justifying the ROI. It just depends on the passion of the pilot. Me personally, I don't shoot 4K unless the customer has to have it, and that's rare. The time saved in editing lets me fly more.

I agree in your point of view [emoji6]

You can try using VLC media player on that PC. That works better than others when using lower end computers. You don't say what CPU is in your computer, and it likely has the standard Intel graphics. Also, if you have an SSD instead of HDD, that will help a little, as well as more DRAM helps with video playback.

In the big picture, if you don't have a 4K TV, and don't have a d 4K screen on your computer, it's a waste to time and SD card space to record in 4K at this time. Down the road that may change.

For now, if all you have is 1080 TV and 1080 computer screen, simply record in 1080. If you're really into editing, and cropping video, 2.7K is an option, but I never use that. I feel it's a waste of SD card space and instead of 9min of video per file you get more like 5min of video per file (correct me if I'm wrong). I already get 3 files per flight using 1080, I really don't want more to deal with during the post edit, but that's just me, I like simplicity. For me 1080 is the sweet spot, clear enough to wow friends and customers, small enough for easy editing. Rarely do I have a customer need 4K for their purposes.

When I get a 4K TV, that's when I'll get a better computer with 4K display and GPU card. Maybe next year. FYI, the new CrystalSky display will be a portable video player too. You can detach it since it's got it's own battery. It's touted to play the unedited SD card 4K video through HDMI out, straight to your TV. If that's true, and it works well, I think a lot of DJI pilots are going to buy 4K TVs very soon.... :D

The only fly in that ointment is that you can't go back in time and re-film what you caught in 1080 and wish you had recorded in at least 2.7...

The only fly in that ointment is that you can't go back in time and re-film what you caught in 1080 and wish you had recorded in at least 2.7...
Correct, and recording in 2.7 could be a happy medium for some. I like recording in 1080 because it gives me a full 2X zoom while I'm flying. I use the 2X zoom more than I would if I recorded in 4K and cropped to zoom in post, which is another level of sophistication that many pilots don't have or need just yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav