4K camera on an advance phantom

Reaction score
I had bought a p3 pro and damaged the gimbal. I recently bought a p3 advanced with just the HD Camera which it comes with. Does anyone know if I can just swap out the cameras themselves Just the camera lens. Looks like it would be one screw that the camera is bolted to the arm and the ribbon cable of course. Any thoughts if this is possible and will work. Thank. You

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

That is fine provided you have to load the FW for the advance version on both the quadcopter and the RC

Fw for advanced or pro should be loaded because it would basically be a pro or am I wrong?

I've never seen anyone swap just the camera. Many people have swapped the camera & gimbal though.

Yes. That is my problem. I have a damaged gimbal assembly from a 4K but the camera is ok. Just not the all the arms and motors. I want to put just the camera on the advanced phantom

I don't think it'll work since the gimbals are different.

I understand. I don't think it's a good idea.

I know the video transmission is different for the two gimbals however I don't know if that also means the sensors are different.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

You can swap the entire gimbal assembly between the pro and advanced but you CANNOT swap a pro bird with a 4K or standard camera.

Once you have swapped your advanced gimbal to your pro bird or vice versa you must reinstall the firmware associated with the gimbal. For example if you put a pro camera on an advanced aircraft .. That bird is now a pro & must have the pro firmware installed.
The gimbal is what governs what type of aircraft it is and what firmware can be loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

As others have suggested im going to call not possible on this one. The standard camera has a panasonic sensor (4k and pro is sony exmor (according to DJI specs). There is also at keast one extra processing chip on the 4k gimble board.

So not a dissimilar situation.. Would like to have someone who may know the electronics speak up if they know. I have the Advanced 2.7k model. Picked up a 4K entire assembly with broken yaw arm. Have a new yaw arm on order. The electronics in the top motor part and the camera housing itself are untouched. I know I need the Pro FW on the drone, but the question is what else do I need?? I know the 4K has a fan (which is intact and working).. So my thought was this. The camera "housings" are identical. Take out the 4 screws and detach/reattach cable, and screw the screws back in and a 4K camera is now hanging. Same for up top.. The electronics housing that connects down to the camera and up to the quad is also intact and perfect. So, would swapping those two housings do the trick (along with the fw)?

Someone above said the video transmission is different but I don't see or understand that? Wouldn't that be controlled by the electronics and not the aluminum gimbal? Also, someone said the gimbols are different, but holding both side by side I see no differences (other than the fan).

Thoughts?? What am I missing if I just swap those electronics housing parts and camera "body" reattached?

Jay S.

Last edited:
I trashed the 2.7K camera on my P3A, and the insurance had it “repaired” but really sent a 4K camera assembly with my original “ADV” serial sticker stuck on it. The assemblies look identical with the exception of “4K” printed on the camera and a fan on the processor plate. See photos.

At first I was happy that I’d gotten a free upgrade but now I’m not so sure. I swapped the new 4K camera on my second P3A with its original 2.7K “HD” camera just to test.

Results after the swap:

I first loaded P3 ADV FW (P3S_FW_V01.08.0080) and got a “Camera firmware needs updating” message in the Go app. The camera worked just fine and I had the same Adv camera setting selections up to 2.7K.

Next I loaded the P3 PRO FW (P3X_FW_V01.08.0080) on the Advanced and again got the “Camera firmware needs updating” message. Again, the camera worked just fine however, I now had all the Pro4K settings in the Go app.

I shot video in all resolution formats and they all played from the Go app on the mobile device (streaming from the AC) however none of the 4K mp4 files would play on my PC using any of the multitude of players I have. Since I have no experience with 4K, this may be a limitation of my players. The file sizes of the 10 second videos shot in each resolution corresponded with their resolutions.

The reasons that I may ask the insurance company for a direct 2.7K replacement instead of the 4K is that

1. I’m bothered that an error message displays, even though it doesn’t seem to have an effect of performance. What if this isn’t the case with future FW releases?

2. I’m not a professional aerial videographer and never shot more than 1080, so there's no need for the higher resolutions.

Thoughts?

20160409-132503.jpg
20160409-132650.jpg

So not a dissimilar situation.. Would like to have someone who may know the electronics speak up if they know. I have the Advanced 2.7k model. Picked up a 4K entire assembly with broken yaw arm. Have a new yaw arm on order. The electronics in the top motor part and the camera housing itself are untouched. I know I need the Pro FW on the drone, but the question is what else do I need?? I know the 4K has a fan (which is intact and working).. So my thought was this. The camera "housings" are identical. Take out the 4 screws and detach/reattach cable, and screw the screws back in and a 4K camera is now hanging. Same for up top.. The electronics housing that connects down to the camera and up to the quad is also intact and perfect. So, would swapping those two housings do the trick (along with the fw)?

Someone above said the video transmission is different but I don't see or understand that? Wouldn't that be controlled by the electronics and not the aluminum gimbal? Also, someone said the gimbols are different, but holding both side by side I see no differences (other than the fan).

Thoughts?? What am I missing if I just swap those electronics housing parts and camera "body" reattached?

Jay S.
The best choice for you is to replace the broken yaw assembly of 4K and use it. Alternatively you need to swap logic board of 2.7 k gimbal with 4K gimbal board and add fan to 2.7k gimbal.

I trashed the 2.7K camera on my P3A, and the insurance had it “repaired” but really sent a 4K camera assembly with my original “ADV” serial sticker stuck on it. The assemblies look identical with the exception of “4K” printed on the camera and a fan on the processor plate. See photos.

At first I was happy that I’d gotten a free upgrade but now I’m not so sure. I swapped the new 4K camera on my second P3A with its original 2.7K “HD” camera just to test.

Results after the swap:

I first loaded P3 ADV FW (P3S_FW_V01.08.0080) and got a “Camera firmware needs updating” message in the Go app. The camera worked just fine and I had the same Adv camera setting selections up to 2.7K.

Next I loaded the P3 PRO FW (P3X_FW_V01.08.0080) on the Advanced and again got the “Camera firmware needs updating” message. Again, the camera worked just fine however, I now had all the Pro4K settings in the Go app.

I shot video in all resolution formats and they all played from the Go app on the mobile device (streaming from the AC) however none of the 4K mp4 files would play on my PC using any of the multitude of players I have. Since I have no experience with 4K, this may be a limitation of my players. The file sizes of the 10 second videos shot in each resolution corresponded with their resolutions.

The reasons that I may ask the insurance company for a direct 2.7K replacement instead of the 4K is that

1. I’m bothered that an error message displays, even though it doesn’t seem to have an effect of performance. What if this isn’t the case with future FW releases?

2. I’m not a professional aerial videographer and never shot more than 1080, so there's no need for the higher resolutions.

Thoughts?

View attachment 50258 View attachment 50259
Take a 5 sec 4K video shot and send it to me in private conversation. I will evaluate it for you.

Not in a dissimilar position. Had P3A, chose to purchase a Pro 4K Camera. First one was a private purchase... but when I first hooked it up (before applying P3P FW), the DJI GO app said it was a Professsional and I had the 4K functions. I also had the message "Camera needs upgrade". I applied the P3P latest FW (At that time 1.7) and lost the video transmission feed. Camera would swivel, record, etc.. just no visual transmission to iPhone/iPad. Fast forward a bit.. Purchased a brand new 4K camera from B&H.. Attached the camera and the P3P FW and everything was perfectly fine.. No message to upgrade camera, so I assumed the used camera I got wasn't all that happy to begin with, but it did work when I first tried it. :-(

Recently, when 1.8 for the Advanced and Pro came out, I'm now once again getting the message that the RC, Aircraft and Camera needs a firmware upgrade. Given the first experience, and the rash of issues people seem to be having with 1.8, I at best hesitant to apply it.. The camera is in warranty, but really don't want that hassle if avoidable. Just noticed that they came out with 2.7.2 for IOS, but not sure it's compatible with 1.7 FW which is on my P3P now.

Any thoughts from folks? Given the release notes for 1.8, it would appear one of the fixes would be camera related so an upgrade seems logical..

Jay S.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj