400 feet over Blackheath

Reaction score
B'Heath 19-5-16-4.jpg

Looking out over Greenwich Park towards Canary Wharf.

Beautiful!

At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, I would like to make just one observation that applies to all amateur photography. Perhaps some professional photographers will back me up. For a couple of years I used to operate camera for a TV program.

This particular photo turned out awesome actually, but there is just one observation I have. Call it my OCD. I don't want people to think that I think I know everything, it's just my observation and opinion. Nothing more.

The distance from the horizon to the top of the photo is a very important aspect of any photo (or video), and the average person tends to show too much of it. In this photo the area above the horizon could be reduced by about 1/3. Additionally, another benefit of less "sky" is better lighting for the lower portion of the photo or video. Take a minute to notice some time when you're flying that the more sky you show, the darker the image is below the sky. Less sky usually = brighter image.

That same principal applies to portraits of people. the "head room" as it is called, should be minimal; unless of course you are taking a photo of people standing by a tall structure that you want in the photo.

Once again, this is my observation from experience and it is really just to make you aware of the issue of "too much head room" as it were. I'm not picking on rockydog! :p

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic