400' altitude limit question

Reaction score
If I'm on a cliff top which is over 400' high and I launch my P3P and then fly over the edge what will happen?

A. Bird will descend to 400', now too low to RTH

B. Bird will know that I launched from cliff top and use that as the starting altitude

C. ?

The ground where your Phantom tales off is always 0 ft. It does not know when you fly over the edge of a cliff -- nor does it attempt to adjust its altitude.

though I wonder, if you have VPS turned on, are within 10 feet of the ground, then drop over a cliff, will VPS try to recalculate its height...

VPS was really created for indoor use only. I recommend you always fly with it turned off when outdoors.

though I wonder, if you have VPS turned on, are within 10 feet of the ground, then drop over a cliff, will VPS try to recalculate its height...

I don't think VPS recalculates anything ... it is a set of sensors that is not effective above 10 feet. The drone takes VPS input if valid to aid its calculations that are based on GPS when available. Indoors, the VPS might be the only input the drone has.

I think there are plenty of videos you can search for on phantoms flying over waterfall cliffs. should be some good times

I have flew many times from a hill. Nothing happens, only the height of the hill is added to the height of the surroundings. It makes it possible to fly with a negative height :)
Landing next to the hill is also no problem. I haven't tried auto landing with a negative height, but I think the VPS will use the camera and US sensors and will land it without problems.

So I've got a silly question. If the FAA states you can't fly a drone within 500' of people, vessels or structures and you can't fly them more than 400' then how exactly are you supposed to fly it in anything other than remote areas?

So I've got a silly question. If the FAA states you can't fly a drone within 500' of people, vessels or structures and you can't fly them more than 400' then how exactly are you supposed to fly it in anything other than remote areas?

The FAA politely asks that you stay under 400ft. Which you should, under pretty much any normal circumstances. As for flying "around people", meh... If I'm at 400ft, is there really anyone "near me"? ;-)

Ive flown around metro areas (watch out for those stupid news helos!) and never had any problems going above/around buildings at 400ft.

If you're trying to fly over skyscrapers, or downtown in Metro areas, you should really be taking extra/different precautions anyway.

The FAA politely asks that you stay under 400ft. Which you should, under pretty much any normal circumstances. As for flying "around people", meh... If I'm at 400ft, is there really anyone "near me"? ;-)

Ive flown around metro areas (watch out for those stupid news helos!) and never had any problems going above/around buildings at 400ft.

If you're trying to fly over skyscrapers, or downtown in Metro areas, you should really be taking extra/different precautions anyway.

Good to know, thanks! I definitely don't plan on buzzing people and pretty much plan on sticking to flying more rural areas or maybe various trail races. Thanks again!

Just be smart when flying. Don't fly over crowds of people. When flying over peoples property use caution - as in try to fly over their open areas vs above their home/vehicles (neighborhood shots).

Thing I dislike about the 400' restriction is that it's not always practical. I've found that if I'm at the base of a hill and fly up the side of that hill my altitude will still be within the 400' limit based on the ground below the drone but it may show 900' on my display being I'm at the base of the hill.

If you can think those rules are inane. Live in France one of theirs says " I will not fly over roads"

Work that one out.

IMO all these rules are so loosely written by lawyers for lawyers.
Or by committees.

Safe flying guys

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thing I dislike about the 400' restriction is that it's not always practical. I've found that if I'm at the base of a hill and fly up the side of that hill my altitude will still be within the 400' limit based on the ground below the drone but it may show 900' on my display being I'm at the base of the hill.
The FAA has never suggested that you never go more than 400 feet above home point.
They are more practical than that and they do understand what the term above ground level means.

Reactions: Comte de Bleuville
FAA says 25' from people.
My 333 exemption states 500 feet from all nonparticipating persons. I suppose the guidelines could be different for hobby flyers though. Where did you find 25 feet mentioned?

My 333 exemption states 500 feet from all nonparticipating persons. I suppose the guidelines could be different for hobby flyers though. Where did you find 25 feet mentioned?
When I registered with the FAA I remember that as one of the guidelines. I could be wrong, but I could be right. [emoji441]. I will double check.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1