4 Pro landing in boats, drone wouldnt shut down

Reaction score
Hi,

Iv been flying Phantoms for 3 years out of boats, i recently upgraded from a P3 to a 4 pro so yesterday was my first time flying a p4 from a boat, it was sloppy sea but not crazy compared to what i have flown in,

All vision sensors were off because i always hand launch and land, i started up and went to launch and the drone just hit full power, i couldnt stop the motors as normal, i couldnt turn the battery off, i had to hand my controller to a friend and explain the shut down method of left stick down and home button, was pretty hectic for a moment, so i regrouped and tried again, same problem it pissed me off so i just through it in the air and hot launched it, all was fine once in the air,

I understand the drone is trying to keep its altitude and the boat is moving up and down so its kind of fighting it, but this was extreme/motors maxing out for the seas i was in, and a pretty big problem for future boat launches, just thought id see if this is common with the p4 p4 pro ??

Cheers

Reactions: Loz
I understand the drone is trying to keep its altitude and the boat is moving up and down so its kind of fighting it, but this was extreme/motors maxing out for the seas i was in, and a pretty big problem for future boat launches, just thought id see if this is common with the p4 p4 pro ??
It's not so much altitude as steadiness.
You can experiment hand catching on dry land and if you wobble a little, the Phantom won't shut down until you can hold it in a stable, level position for 3 seconds.
I haven't noticed much difference with the P4pro - the sensors seem to have a similar sensitivity to previous models.

Reactions: Loz
Useful post thanks I learned something I haven't experienced before, I too hand land (on land) mostly, so far steadily.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You can experiment hand catching on dry land and if you wobble a little, the Phantom won't shut down until you can hold it in a stable, level position for 3 seconds.
I haven't noticed much difference with the P4pro - the sensors seem to have a similar sensitivity to previous models.

Would turning off OA make any difference during a hand catch? I did a hand catch on a boat (while in motion) with my P4P recently without much trouble, but was wondering if disabling OA would have made it even smoother.

Yea. This is why I have come to believe it is not the Baro proper but the Accelerometer responsible for landing 'detection'.

Reactions: Meta4
Also for the record, i then flew the mavic in the exact same boat position, and hand caught it with no problems to shut it down. hmm

Re the motors going to max, I'm sumising that as you were holding onto the AC and the boat was moving, the AC was not in the place the flight controller wanted it to be in so it increased the motor speed to correct, and, of course the AC is still not moving in the direction it should so it keeps applying more power to correct...

Just a thought...

Reactions: N017RW
Do you use prop guards for damage protection when hand landing ? Have you ever used a water strider to land on the water?

Re the motors going to max, I'm sumising that as you were holding onto the AC and the boat was moving, the AC was not in the place the flight controller wanted it to be in so it increased the motor speed to correct, and, of course the AC is still not moving in the direction it should so it keeps applying more power to correct...

Just a thought...

Yep thats right, boat at idle, hardly drifting, iv just never had it power up to this lever with all the other models of phantoms. i guess launching in Atti mode would potentially help,

Maybe when the drone its still moving, it doesn't let you stop motors with these method. The AC feels changes in gps coordenates because you are in movement on the boat.

Its just a thought...

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1