Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

3dRobotics thoughts?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by malacca, Jun 13, 2014.

1. malacca

I read an article today about 3DRobotics, so I looked up some of their 'copters. Pretty nice looking, anyone have any experience with them?

One thing that gave me pause about them is the 10-15 minute flight time. I know that's pretty typical for 'copters, so how did DJI get the PV2 and PV2+ to achieve such a dramatic increase in flight time? After flying my PV2+. I don't think there's any way I could go to something that only gave me 10-15 minutes in the air at a time...

2. robininni

Sorry, not really on your topic, but I only get about 16-18 minutes of flight time on my Phantom 2 Vision+, but I don't run the battery past about 25%. I couldn't imagine getting 25 minutes. Maybe I fly in more wind than most and the Phantom's burning energy fighting that. I did fly at least once when still though and I still didn't get even 20 minutes if I recall (again keeping some battery reserve).

I'm looking at 3dRobotics right now and that 3dr rtf x8 looks awesome (features)!

3. ElGuano

DJI uses the same 25 minute figure for the vision, the p2, the p2 h3-3d and the vision +. But these all have dramatically different weights. The p2 and the vision are the lightest (least payload) and you can hit 25 minutes with a naked p2, and maybe 25 on a vision running it way past 90%. There's no way to realistically get 25 minutes on a gimbaled phantom with the 5200mah battery.

Well, I bet someone somewhere has done it on these configs, but it's not really a realistic figure to shoot for regularly.

4. robininni

Oh, okay, well thanks for explaining that. I was happy with what I was getting, but I never considered the 25 minutes was really not even attainable with a phantom 2 vision+, I thought it was my local flying conditions.

5. yali

Looks ugly

6. srandall25

Yep, it's all about payload and weight. 3d robotics has some awesome quality products with carbon fiber, able to carry a nice DSLR on an expensive gimbal.. but there is a price to pay in terms of flight time and cost.

7. Cr8tive_leo

You can't compare a phantom with a watered down Naza to a pixhawk controlled 3d robotics multirotor. No comparison. You get greater expansion with i2c ports , it works, ground station software blows dji shyte away. Open source, optical sensors...