3D using 2D GoPro plug - live feed fails.

Reaction score
Just tried this mod again, when I use the GoPro plug I get no FPV video (only iOSD info on a black screen). Switching back to using the USB plug gives me FPV video fine.

I've updated the latest P330CB 1.0.1.30 not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Anyone running into these issues?

instax said:
nope all good here with that setup and new update
What system (Phantom?) and firmware are you running? And, do you have the interference board installed?

Firmware has nothing to do with this problem.I believe you are not connect right the ribon cable of the back connector of the gopro.

gppms said:
Firmware has nothing to do with this problem.I believe you are not connect right the ribon cable of the back connector of the gopro.
What is that supposed to mean?

I am connecting the 2D GoPro backplug exactly as others have. I do not get an FPV signal, but I do when I use the standard USB cable. How do you know it has nothing to do with firmware, have you done extensive testing?

A bit more of an explanation would help.

Jaybee said:
gppms said:
What is that supposed to mean?

I am connecting the 2D GoPro backplug exactly as others have. I do not get an FPV signal, but I do when I use the standard USB cable. How do you know it has nothing to do with firmware, have you done extensive testing?

A bit more of an explanation would help.
Firmware has nothing to do with the video output of the gopro.Even if you had the oldest firmware you will able to get video out of the camera.I believe the problem is to the ribon cable of the back connector,you don't conect right or it is faulty or maybe you brake it accidentally.

I could possible be a hairline crack in the ribbon cable itself on the video feed conductor.

The only way you will know for sure is either:

1. Check continuity of each track on the cable (but that can be tricky bearing in mind the size of the conductors)
2. Try a replacement cable

Jaybee said:
instax said:
What system (Phantom?) and firmware are you running? And, do you have the interference board installed?

P2 with latest firmware on everything. Yes to anti-interference board.

My guess is your ribbon cable is not plugged all the way in as others have had the same problem where they get power but no FPV. Try inserting the ends a bit farther, my guess is the end on the H3-3D not the end on the goPro plug.

The Editor said:
I could possible be a hairline crack in the ribbon cable itself on the video feed conductor.

The only way you will know for sure is either:

1. Check continuity of each track on the cable (but that can be tricky bearing in mind the size of the conductors)
2. Try a replacement cable
Do you mean the GoPro plug ribbon? I've checked it out under a loupe and all seems good on the surface, no cracks. Which one is the video feed conductor?

instax said:
Jaybee said:
instax said:

P2 with latest firmware on everything. Yes to anti-interference board.

My guess is your ribbon cable is not plugged all the way in as others have had the same problem where they get power but no FPV. Try inserting the ends a bit farther, my guess is the end on the H3-3D not the end on the goPro plug.
Cheers. I've spent hours trying to get this fixed. All the ribbon connecters firmly pushed-in / seated. Just can't understand why the USB setup works and the GoPro doesn't. The only conclusion I can come to is my GoPro plug is at fault, although on the surface it looks fine (no cracks) and I had it working with a previous 3D.

Yes - I mean the little ribbon cable that goes from the H3-3D to the GoPro Bus on the back of the GoPro.

Your video out (composite) feed is pin 2 but in order to get composite out of the GoPro there must also be a signal via ID3 and ID4 which are pins 21 and 22 respectively.

You would need to make sure you have continuity on all these lines. Obviously you also need a ground but there is some redundancy here since pins 1,9,18,27 & 30 are all ground lines.

The Editor said:
Yes - I mean the little ribbon cable that goes from the H3-3D to the GoPro Bus on the back of the GoPro.

Your video out (composite) feed is pin 2 but in order to get composite out of the GoPro there must also be a signal via ID3 and ID4 which are pins 21 and 22 respectively.

You would need to make sure you have continuity on all these lines. Obviously you also need a ground but there is some redundancy here since pins 1,9,18,27 & 30 are all ground lines.
Cheers for the info.

After another day messing around. I can't find a solution – the plug must be broken.

Was your GoPro working ok with your Z3D? Do you have the monitor attachment for your GoPro that uses the same plug that your trying to get to work. You could test out your GoPro using this accessory. I don't use mine much anymore but I bought it to use with the GoPro before I purchased a Phantom. It is manufactured by GoPro. I haven't tried switching mine out yet (I also have a broken 2D gimbal) but I did read that there is a clamp that you need to lift up when pulling the USB cable out and you need to push it back down after you insert the ribbon cable for your 2D gimbal.

Bluegrass said:
Was your GoPro working ok with your Z3D? Do you have the monitor attachment for your GoPro that uses the same plug that your trying to get to work. You could test out your GoPro using this accessory. I don't use mine much anymore but I bought it to use with the GoPro before I purchased a Phantom. It is manufactured by GoPro. I haven't tried switching mine out yet (I also have a broken 2D gimbal) but I did read that there is a clamp that you need to lift up when pulling the USB cable out and you need to push it back down after you insert the ribbon cable for your 2D gimbal.
Nope, I've not got that attachment.

Yep, my 3D FPV works fine with the USB ribbon connection, but when I tried this mod it just wouldn't give me the FPV feed. The new 3D I bought the other day is the one with the GCU (not that I need it with my current platform). As far as I can tell it's identical to a 'v1.1 for Phantom 2 only' model, but has the GCU kit in the box too.

Yes, there is a little black bar on all the ribbon connectors, you carefully lift it up 90º and the ribbon cable will slide out, then push it back down to secure the cable once again. I used a mobile phone repair green plastic tool for this. After trying this more times than I can count, I know the procedure like the back of my hand ;)

I'm puzzled as to why the mod won't work for me, but you should give it a bash - most people report it works fine. I know that the audio tone is not present using the 2D GoPro plug, and possibly there is less FPV screen interference. This is mainly why I wanted to get it in place, but I'll live with the USB setup now.

Let me know how you get on.

I had the exact same problem after I switched over to a new H3-3D. Managed to solve it hopefully this works for you.

Once you have the plug seated in the gimbal, turn it over and look at the ribbon cable. The gold area of cable was slightly creased towards me - I took a flat tipped screw driver and gently pressed the crease so it was folded away from me (into the gimbal)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bhe3xiui7bc37 ... .33.14.jpg

I've been searching the forum and just found this thread. I just received my H3-3D the other day to replace my H3-2D. I installed the 3D and am having the exact same issue the OP described. I'm using the GoPro plug from the 2D and have OSD displayed but no video from the GoPro to my FPV screen. I am also not seeing the red charging light on the GoPro. I have not yet tried the ribbon USB plug that came with the 3D to see if that fixes it. Will try that tonight...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl