3d printable landing gear for DJI Phantom - Any Thoughts?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I love fpv flying my DJI Phantom and bought a brushless gimbal for aerial photography as I was not satisfied with shaky shots. But it turned out there was barely any room under the quadcopter once it was positioned on the ground for take off.

So I spent some time doing R&D, design and testing and produced 3d printable upgraded landing gear for DJI Phantom.

$T2eC16R,!ysE9sy0iH,kBR0zKuC5-Q~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqN,!qUFGght-LgKBR0zKuDwcQ~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!ooFG4,dVYhYBR0zKwhdG!~~60_12.JPG

After doing some test flights I'm very impressed with the improved flight characteristics of my Phantom. Also my landing gear weights 12 grams less than original and this is very crucial in fpv as every gram counts.

$(KGrHqR,!r!FG7sBeN1HBR0zKrq,3Q~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!o4FHE))5dinBR0zKsJ,I!~~60_12.JPG

I posted my 3d printable landing gear for DJI Phantom on Thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:112017 for free download.
images

If you dont have the 3d printer, you can order it from my Ebay page http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...ss-Gimbal-MANY-COLORS-TO-CHOOSE-/181169147120
I offer next day shipping and custom prints in different colors. Check it out.
5141b7fdc3a031fa15b6cbec59c8104e.png

Also if you have any suggestions or ideas for other DJI Phantom parts, please let me know.

Re: 3d printable landing gear for DJI Phantom - Any Thoughts

I'd be concerned that you've made it even tippier than it was before!

I'd like foldable landing gear that also widened the track a little. You could have each side fold out with a small detent to stop them falling back in and a string / fishing line / cord to limit how far they go out so you don't overstress the plastic on a hard landing. A slight offset in the hinge axis of each one would let them fold right up against the bottom, beside the battery tray.

I guess the problem is you'd need a spot for the compass in exactly the right orientation, which could be tricky.

Thank you for your comment.
Actually my phantom is sturdier then ever. Its not tipping and actually helps with takes off and landings.
I will record a video and post it.
About your improvement suggestions - my goal was to make a 3d printable landing gear that is light weight, easy to print (each of the legs is interchangeable) and most importantly it has to hold the digital compass in the proper position. I believe this has been accomplished. Any comments are very welcome.
Cheers!

I'd hate to say this, but if you raise the height of the phantom, without giving the legs a bigger "footprint" it is going to be more unstable! It's physics! There is no cheating it!

Driffill said:
I'd hate to say this, but if you raise the height of the phantom, without giving the legs a bigger "footprint" it is going to be more unstable! It's physics! There is no cheating it!

My upgraded 3d printable landing gear for Dji Phantom is 12 grams lighter than original. This improves the flight time a bit according to physics and makes the drone more controllable in the air.

Check out this video to show you how stable it is for landings:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWIRmrVGtgA[/youtube]

Have a good weekend!

Nice to see another person going the 3D printing route! Its a great way to modify the Phantom that is for sure. As you have asked for 'thoughts' I feel that I must admit to agreeing with the other guys regarding the stability. Don't get me wrong it will be fine for landings on level surfaces as you have proved in the vid but the centre of gravity having been raised without the footprint being widened much will likely cause greater risk of toppling on rough ground. All it would take is some wide 'feet' or making them to come out an an angle to help this.
The real beauty of that material is its slight elastic properties. Solid but slightly springy. If they were angled out even slightly it would actually create a cushioned landing effect although as Simensays' legs have shown, you will need to consider the compass.

Sorry this all sounds maybe more negative than I mean it to be. I really do admire you or anyone for trying to solve a problem that does exist (the stock legs aren't great especially with gimbals!).

At the end of the day what matters is what you are happy with though. You've solved the problem for yourself it seems but to solve it in the eyes of others you might need to tweak it a little.

Hi DeweyAXD
Thank you for your comments!
Yes, totally agree with you on 3D printing route. It took me over 15 prototypes to come up with current design for the legs. Without the rapid design prototyping, I wouldn't be able to accomplish this.

My main focus in Dji Phantom mod was to:
- use 3d printer for rapid prototyping
- make 3d printable object most cost effective (*if I go the route you recommend, it requires separate design and print for each of the legs. They won't be interchangeable as they are right now)
- make it free
- reduce the weight (now it weights 12 grams less)
- improve flight characteristics

If you dont have a 3d printer you can even order it http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...s-Gimbal-MANY-COLORS-TO-CHOOSE-/181169147120?and give it a try to become a believer.

Have a good weekend!

DeweyAXD said:
Nice to see another person going the 3D printing route! Its a great way to modify the Phantom that is for sure. As you have asked for 'thoughts' I feel that I must admit to agreeing with the other guys regarding the stability. Don't get me wrong it will be fine for landings on level surfaces as you have proved in the vid but the centre of gravity having been raised without the footprint being widened much will likely cause greater risk of toppling on rough ground. All it would take is some wide 'feet' or making them to come out an an angle to help this.
The real beauty of that material is its slight elastic properties. Solid but slightly springy. If they were angled out even slightly it would actually create a cushioned landing effect although as Simensays' legs have shown, you will need to consider the compass.

Sorry this all sounds maybe more negative than I mean it to be. I really do admire you or anyone for trying to solve a problem that does exist (the stock legs aren't great especially with gimbals!).

At the end of the day what matters is what you are happy with though. You've solved the problem for yourself it seems but to solve it in the eyes of others you might need to tweak it a little.

Sorry if I was a little blunt in my last comment, I'm all for modifying just about anything, but you need to think of EVERY possible effect the mod will have . . . .

I should have said it will be more unstable on take off and landing, but having said that, if the COG has been changed (to be lower down from the motors) it will actually improve (depending on opinion) the flight handling in the air, the lower the COG is from the motors, the smoother the changes of direction will be.

The one crash I've had, was just after I updated to 3.12 went to lift off, the phantom slid forward along the ground a few inches, snagged the leg and tipped forward. Making the phantom higher would increase that possibility.

How about extending the "foot" of the leg in order to add a wider, more stable footprint? In that way you would still use just one design or shape for each of the four legs.

In other words, something like an "L". Perhaps use a nice curve instead of a right angle.

Hey no problem at all. Criticism is part of the experience of creating new things.
To convert you to a believer, I can send you a free copy of my 3d printable landing gear upgrade for dji phantom in exchange for a fair review? (just pay for shipping)
PM me if interested.

Driffill said:
Sorry if I was a little blunt in my last comment, I'm all for modifying just about anything, but you need to think of EVERY possible effect the mod will have . . . .

I should have said it will be more unstable on take off and landing, but having said that, if the COG has been changed (to be lower down from the motors) it will actually improve (depending on opinion) the flight handling in the air, the lower the COG is from the motors, the smoother the changes of direction will be.

The one crash I've had, was just after I updated to 3.12 went to lift off, the phantom slid forward along the ground a few inches, snagged the leg and tipped forward. Making the phantom higher would increase that possibility.

Hi GearLoose
Its a great idea but if I were to make an L shaped leg and make it interchangeable, I will run into an issue where part of the leg will be visible in the camera view and footage.

$T2eC16Z,!)cE9s4PudhcBR0zKyu)y!~~60_12.JPG

GearLoose said:
How about extending the "foot" of the leg in order to add a wider, more stable footprint? In that way you would still use just one design or shape for each of the four legs.

In other words, something like an "L". Perhaps use a nice curve instead of a right angle.

check out raw footage of my 3d printed landing gear upgrade on the DJI Phantom. Its more stable then ever!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lensvMMAN94[/youtube]

Great job on the landing gear and video!

One question, what is the cable sticking out the front?

Best regards,

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Todd,
Its true, I'm a bit ashamed that the battery wires were sticking out in the front. Also I need to work on my gimbal adjustment to avoid showing the propeller in the videos.
Cheers!

tmcgowan said:
Great job on the landing gear and video!

One question, what is the cable sticking out the front?

Best regards,

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wedobiz said:
Hi GearLoose
Its a great idea but if I were to make an L shaped leg and make it interchangeable, I will run into an issue where part of the leg will be visible in the camera view and footage.

GearLoose said:

I think he means that the 'L' points outward. So in fact if you look at the phantom head on the left leg will be a J and the right an L. This will widen the footprint and be out of shot. E.g... (Crude txt diagram):
_____
J......L

I know what you guys mean, but honestly, its really stable as is and great for take offs, landings and handles like magic in the air. If I were to add the L extension, it would not only add more weight, but would be impossible to do a unified design-print which will fit all four legs and point in the proper direction without being in the view of the camera.
I will try to come up with upgdared version next weekend to show you what I mean.
Meanwhile, check out another cool video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtol3NWHgCM[/youtube]

DeweyAXD said:
wedobiz said:
Hi GearLoose

GearLoose said:

I think he means that the 'L' points outward. So in fact if you look at the phantom head on the left leg will be a J and the right an L. This will widen the footprint and be out of shot. E.g... (Crude txt diagram):
_____
J......L

WEDOBIZ I will take you up on that challange of making something new for DJI PHANTOM I have a need and Im sure a lot of phantom users can use a Deeper battery door. Current door is hard to shut with fpv wires and limited to lengths of batteries Can you design and post STL for download. Like to have one about 1 inch deeper
I have a 3D printer but I am very new to solidworks and it would take me a while to design this part. What do you think? Also can I add you as freind I might need a little advise from time to time with printer.. Thanks

Ninjarev said:
I have a need and Im sure a lot of phantom users can use a Deeper battery door. Current door is hard to shut with fpv wires and limited to lengths of batteries Can you design and post STL for download. Like to have one about 1 inch deeper
I have a 3D printer but I am very new to solidworks and it would take me a while to design this part. What do you think? Also can I add you as freind I might need a little advise from time to time with printer.. Thanks

Have you looked on Shapeways? I thought there already was one.

Yes there is one on shapeways but 33 dollars after shipping for a battery door is a little much I have 3D printer just need a STL file to print it.
I did order the shapeways landing gear from simon says and it is nice it was quite expensive also but looks nice.
Also thanks for tip with black tape but kind of want more professional look.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers