3D models on drone footage

Reaction score
Hi all -

I have a potential client who is a property developer and who have complete 3D models of their houses/development sites. I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to film actual fly-over drone footage and then compose the 3D model on it so show a flyover video of the proposed build site.

If I google this all I get back is info about using your phantom to create 3d models but I don't want this. I'll obviously need a way to track points for scale/parallax etc and I know this could be done in after effects (and actually placing some physical tracking points wouldnt hurt) but if anyone has a better way or at least streamlined workflow I'd love to hear it!

Thanks

Hi Sam - Thanks for the reply but this is about turning drone footage into a 3d model. I want to keep the actual drone footage as video.

Yup, have seen that. Again, that's for making 3d models rather than putting a 3d model over drone footage.

Yup, have seen that. Again, that's for making 3d models rather than putting a 3d model over drone footage.

Have you seen this process in another industry? Something you can show us? I've never seen anything other than something from Hollywood that converted VIDEO into a 3D project. Doing it from still images takes a LOT of computer processing so I can't start to imagine how much it would take for video.

I'm sure it's possible with the right tools and knowledge but I'm not sure our industry/hobby is there yet.

I think the same, u want merge a 3D model and a vídeo. To do that is all postprocesing and is, probably, complicated as hell.

Other thing u can do is map the place with the drón, on the other hand, build a real 3D model as posible in a 3D program (sketchup, unrealengine, etc,) and import the map finaly to this program.

The result is less real than a vídeo, but u or ur clients can do more things, like zoom, shadows in a X hour of day, etc.

I believe Motion 5 & Final Cut Pro x can help you do that. Create or import your 3D project into 'motion'. Then output it as a final cut effect, e.g. Text effects. Then through final cut you can then embed to the actual video footage. Hope I'm saying something here.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Boujou is made for this application.

Boujou Matchmoving Software

I second that, I also use 3d studio max to compose the final scene,
you get the motion tracking from Boujou, then import the camera mapping into 3DS and place your model with matte shadow, you also place your sun or omni imitating a sun
and shadow casting as well as specularity and render out in vray...
Lots of work for someone new , a few hours for someone advanced...

Adobe after effects latest versions are what you want. Shoot the area nice and smooth with maybe a notch higher shutter speed than normal. Place into Adobe after effects and track a new 3D camera (tons of tutorials online for this). Assuming you already have the 3D file you just drop it into your tracked drone footage, connect that to the tracking and viola. I did that with 2d images into a 3D scene in this video a few years ago. A 3D model should behave the same if brought in correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I use a program for 3d animation it's free and EXTREMLY complex but it's EXTREMLY powerful .. If you're into advanced animation it's very competitive to Maya the industry standard .. But there's a super steep learning curve

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No, fairly straightforward - although I do have quite a few years of C4D and AE experience.
The most important part is getting a good motion track - high contrast objects or features and smooth movement help. I tracked this using the built in camera solver in AE. It can also be tracked in C4D but I find AE does it faster, and usually better.
You also need to get a good floor plane match up to the ground to act as a shadow catcher.
If you don't have a full C4D licence I believe AE includes C4d Lite which should be fine for something like this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik