3D Modelling

Reaction score
Hi does anybody use their Phantom 4 for photo's to create 3D models. If yes, I would be interested to find out what software you may be usings and its pros and cons. Thanks in advance Flywest.

I have used my Phantom 4 to create a couple of 3D models. There are lots of programs available. I used a trial version of Pix4D Mapper Pro and it works great. The only downside to it I can see is cost, it is very expensive. But, you can use the free Pix4D Capture and create 3D models from your images and create 3D flythroughs. Once your Pro trial runs out you then have the free Capture program.

I have been looking at others but many use Cloud services that produce the 3D outputs for you and my internet is not good enough for those. But Agisoft Photoscan is supposed to be great for 3D models as well.

The only thing you have to be aware of with using the Phantom 4 for modelling is the images altitudes are stored as 'Below Sea Level' so when you load them they read as negative. There are ways to fix this in Pix4D or using an EXIF editor.

I am looking at using Pix4D myself as they have a monthly rental option, still expensive but convenient for specific projects.

Reactions: Grasstec Geomatics
I prefer to use Altizure, after you upload the images they process them very quickly and you can create flyovers etc.

I also like dronedeploy because you can edit the boundaries of your map, the map can be ovelayed on top of a google map and you can measure distance and area (the total size of your map is measured automatically in acres).

You could also use Pix4D if you want to process the images yourself but unless you have a very nice computer it will likely take a lot longer(this is the reason I only tried Pix4D once)

Although each method has it's own capture software, I use the Altizure app for all of them. The altizure app does not have problems with altitude data so you don't have to use ExifTool. The pictures captured with the Altizure app are compatible with all the methods I previously discussed.

Reactions: JWH
Traditional 3D mapping capture approach wouldn't work well on 3D model, especially for tall object such as a tall building or statue. Worth to read more 3D Model

I may have to try this service out.

I prefer to use Altizure, after you upload the images they process them very quickly and you can create flyovers etc.

I also like dronedeploy because you can edit the boundaries of your map, the map can be ovelayed on top of a google map and you can measure distance and area (the total size of your map is measured automatically in acres).

You could also use Pix4D if you want to process the images yourself but unless you have a very nice computer it will likely take a lot longer(this is the reason I only tried Pix4D once)

Although each method has it's own capture software, I use the Altizure app for all of them. The altizure app does not have problems with altitude data so you don't have to use ExifTool. The pictures captured with the Altizure app are compatible with all the methods I previously discussed.

That's great info, thanks for posting it. Do you do 3D mapping professionally or as a hobby?

That's great info, thanks for posting it. Do you do 3D mapping professionally or as a hobby?
Hobby, my dad wanted his mountain property mapped and I was more than happy to oblige. I have mapped a few other things since but not much.

Hi does anybody use their Phantom 4 for photo's to create 3D models. If yes, I would be interested to find out what software you may be usings and its pros and cons. Thanks in advance Flywest.

I recently started using Spotscale, they've been delivering super good quality of their 3D models compared to Drone Deploy in my opinion. It's a cloud based service, you just need to upload your images and you'll get your final 3D result delivered after they process it. I can highly recommend them, worth a try!

I recently started using Spotscale, they've been delivering super good quality of their 3D models compared to Drone Deploy in my opinion. It's a cloud based service, you just need to upload your images and you'll get your final 3D result delivered after they process it. I can highly recommend them, worth a try!
Hello
animated-smileys-waving-015.gif

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)

issabellen do you have any samples of some 3D models you've worked with? I'd love to see some examples.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.