3D Camera Tracking

Here is my first attempt at tracking, but as you can see, not a lot of tracking points. I was still able to insert the 3D text, and for this shot because the phantom stays in one location, it tracked...okay. This was before I had learned that the lens distortion wouldn't allow for a good track.

Trackingdatapoints_zps834c2ef2.jpg

PhantomText2_zps6b0b36fc.jpg

I use Lightwave , blender and afterfx for all the magic.

Why not check the manual for motion tracking, or contact the support group to get help on your registered software?

I actually haven't done too much 3d tracking of GoPro footage,

But I've read that trick for doing so is to use Optics Compensation to remove the fisheye, then track the scene, insert the elements, and then re-introduce fisheye to add curvature back. (you might have to work in a 3k comp to do so)

but yah, there are a lot of tutorials online, even some that are drone specific.
.check out/bookmark this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdYYqY-NXW0

Hey guys! I had almost given up on this topic, but I want to thank all of you for your replies. I was starting to feel really alone! :lol:
I'll try to keep this topic updated as I progress.

I have been watching youtube tuts on the process and so far this one has been the most helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKYvpkQ0VwI

He's using a blackmagic camera, but the process seems the same.

I'm wondering if using DeFishr (ProDad) wouldn't be easier though.

Luap said:
Here's some 3d camera tracking I did.

The gun is fake (had people swearing at me for posting a similar one) and so is the target on the wall.

http://youtu.be/s7UimGlKyEs

Private video, no can watch :(

Cr8tive_leo said:
I use Lightwave , blender and afterfx for all the magic.

Why not check the manual for motion tracking, or contact the support group to get help on your registered software?

So you process as a photo sequence huh? Interesting...

I'm following this thread - as I'm planning on doing some of this stuff down the road as well. Thanks!

Jebus said:
I'm following this thread - as I'm planning on doing some of this stuff down the road as well. Thanks!

Glad you're here, jump in anytime!

I've used both optics compensation and ProDad's DeFishr, both seem to do the same thing, but OC is more work. This is around my 3rd attempt using Defishr and the tracking is perfect, it's a solid track all the way up to and beyond the text.

This is all about experimentation so no correction of any kind.

So the start of my workflow seems to be.

#1) Defishr export to .mov
#2) Stabilize in After Effects then render out
#3) Import the stabilized footage and track

Questions? Concerns? Comments?

Edit:
I think it's also important to note that shadows are really needed to sell this effect, and for me that may not come until Element V2. There is a work around call Elementary, but I haven't had a lot of luck with it. I've had some modest success simulating the shadows, but it's difficult to get the keystoning right.

Having problems posting this in the post above. I'll try here:

Track_zps5c3e6ff2.jpg

I just wanted to update with a breakthrough of sorts. I've been super busy so I haven't had much time to work on this project, but last night I starting working again.

Anchor points, I like to ignore them, but turns out they're pretty important.

No matter how well I was able to track footage I'd always end up with bouncing text. The solution was to set the anchor point to the bottom of the text. Now everything is silky smooth. I've got some video to post, but I'll be working all day, so most likely tomorrow or the next day.

I'm really excited to see what I'll do with my tracking, but even more excited to see what you guys come up with.

Also of note I think anchor point location would depend on what you were trying to track. Bottom seems to work well with text.

Here's an actual shot I'm working on. I used DeFishr and set my in and out points (which is very handy) and then exported to a high quality MP4. Into After Effects where I stabilized and then exported to lossless mov. Imported again, and it's very hard to see, but there's a tiny dot that was the actual jet in the footage, it's so small you can hardly see it. I used motion tracking on the tiny dot, then used the tracking data to insert a JetStrike model.

I made my little sign and parented that to the tracking null as well.

I'm kinda giddy with the power to add my own CG elements, and I can't WAIT til they release Element V2, it should be epic. :D

PhantomPilotsCG_zps2f7c8222.jpg

Right on. I haven't had a chance to give this a try yet. I think I'll have to give it a try soon though. I'll post back when I get a chance to try it out. Thanks for the updates!

Jebus said:
Right on. I haven't had a chance to give this a try yet. I think I'll have to give it a try soon though. I'll post back when I get a chance to try it out. Thanks for the updates!

Glad to know you're still reading this. I feel pretty certain I've set you on the right path. I was working on a shot yesterday where I had to track the side of a building to continue their signage. It was extreme in that it had to track almost completely out of the shot. It worked like a charm, though I did have to use the advanced analyze.

I was contacted by a forum member that expressed concern that what is being discussed here is beyond the means or ability of the "average" forum user, and this is simply not true. There is FREE software available to EVERYONE who wishes to use it called Blender, which is a robust and fully functional 3D program much like C4D or 3D MAX. In many ways Blender is superior to the programs (so far) being discussed in this thread. Literally anyone can duplicate any of the processes being discussed here, and if I have seemed unreceptive to alternative methods I apologize.

I think camera tracking and other tools that these programs offer can go a long way in breaking up the "sameness" that is so prevalent today with Phantom videos, and that is all I hope to accomplish. The idea I was making anyone feel bad never crossed my mind.

I don't know much about Blender, but I willing to learn, so let's get started. :)

http://www.blender.org/download/

If the average person could do this, there wouldn't be a need for a discussion. That's what forums are for.

I'm hoping the weather cooperates this weekend and I'll try and get a shot that I can work with and give this a try.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic